fantastic fan not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
fantastic fan not working

The fantastic fan never worked since past Nov when I bought my 98 16' LD and I've replaced all the parts and finally was going to replace the entire unit today. This morning after cutting the power and ground into the fan, I decided to test it and nothing happens when I attach my test light. I'm sure the test light is good because I tested it on an interior light in the trailer.
So I looked in the fuse box and there are only like 4 fuses there and all are good. What can the problem be? I called Casita this morning and unfortunately, they are closed on vacation all week. Any suggestions... is this something I can track down or am I going to have to haul it to a trailer shop for them to figure where a short might be?
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Are the wires tight to the fan?

There is a thread at another forum that has some good info as to possible problems and fixes. - www.irv2.com Fantastic Fan - Not Working - Any ideas?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

Georgia
Thanks for suggesting it, but that thread identifies the fan problems and mine seems to be no power to the fan.
I'm wondering how to trouble shoot wiring that is buried behind carpeted wall or even where it starts at?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
go to Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977 and search for - cable tracker -
It sells for $25 and you connect a toner on one wire and track where it goes with the other device that it comes with. Very easy to use and worth having around in cases like this.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I thought my fan wasn't working the other day but then I discovered that the thermostat was turned so that the fan didn't work.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If there is no power to the fan itself, and the power chassis fuses are all good, you might try looking near the back of the power chassis or near the battery for an added-in, in-line fuse.

Also be sure that they included a ground wire or it may have never worked..... I've seen that trick at least twice in FGRV's. Didn't work with one wire so they left it as-is.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Thanks for suggesting it, but that thread identifies the fan problems and mine seems to be no power to the fan.
I'm wondering how to trouble shoot wiring that is buried behind carpeted wall or even where it starts at?
On mine if you pull off the inside trim you can pull the carpet down a little bit and be able to see the connection where it ties into the trailers wiring.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
1) You are assuming that one of the four fuses in your converter feeds the fan . The PO may have removed the fuse for the fan ( Make Up a Reason) and not replaced it 2) If there is no power to the fan and the wires are bad you have an "OPEN" , A short circuit normally opens the over current device (IE: Blown Fuse)
3) You can test and solve 99% of the problem with a $5 VOM from Harbor Freight and your 2 eyes IE: Bad Fan, Bad Fan Control ,Bad Connection(s) , Bad Circuit Conductors , Burned Terminal ,Wires Disconnected . ETC
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #9

Georgia
I do see both power and ground wires coming to the fan as I cut them both from the unit to replace the entire unit I just got in the mail.
That's how I found no power to by connecting my continuity light between these two wires.
I will go look around the power box to see if there is a fuse outside of it; also near the battery.
I did buy a cheap multimeter from harbor freight last year but am not so sure about choosing the settings for continuity. And even if I was able to I still cant follow the wire as its buried under the ceiling carpet and don't know where it starts.

There is a suspicious wire set that have been capped off in the rear overhead cabinet where I suspect an interior light might have been. Would this possibly have 'opened' the circuit feeding also the fan?

Hey, just looked at the cable tracker at harbor freight website and this sounds interesting.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
All things are possible.
The Cable Tracker is worth having. It allows you to trace the wire the toner is connected to so you can find an OPEN and/or the other end.

Multimeter: Use the Ohm setting to do a continuity check.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Many of the less expensive VOM are not designed to apply voltage to the meter when the meter is set on the ohms scale . Use the DC volt scale for testing to protect the meter from damage . (Yes you can check continuity with a voltmeter) Conductors seldom go bad except when subject to physical damage or have been tampered with or at splice points .Find a known 12V DC fused power supply and run temporary wires to the fan and make sure the fan and its' associated controls work . Check inside the converter for a missing fuse, a loose connection ,a wire that is not connected or a blackened or burned spot .The fan worked when the trailer left the factory something has changed. The PO may have tried to fix the problem and only made it harder to fix or troubleshoot.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I do see both power and ground wires coming to the fan as I cut them both from the unit to replace the entire unit I just got in the mail.
That's how I found no power to by connecting my continuity light between these two wires.
I will go look around the power box to see if there is a fuse outside of it; also near the battery.
When you removed the old fan could you not see the original connected to the trailer wiring - it should be close to the fan, it would not be common or feasible for it to be one on long line to the converter. Can you not pull down the headliner a little (glue back up with 3M adhesive glue) to see where it tied in? or run your hand on the headliner pressing hard to feel a bump where the connection may be? My best guess is that the wiring ties into the same wires in the overhead bin - do the wires you found caped off have power?

If a fuse is blown by the battery it is also doubtful that any of your other 12 volt lighting etc would work. I would be looking to see which fuse on your converter is the fan.....

If you do not have an owners manual with a wiring diagram take a look at the thread Casita Wiring Diagram or ask over at the Casita forum for a newer version.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Darwin, seeing your mention of the Cable Tracker reminded me of the tone ringers I used in the military to find wiring pairs. Just drove 150 miles today to HF and picked one up. Well, we did our monthly food shopping too.
Another way to check for power is to use a 12V test light if you have access to the wires.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #14

Name: Dennis & Linda
Trailer: Leocraft 17ft fiberglass rv by Monarch Industries
Ontario
Registry
Fan not working

I had the same problem with our fantastic fan until I opened up the lid. I should have read the instructions more carefully. I found out that the fan will not work unless the lid is open at least 3 inches. Lesson learned!
Dennis Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #15

Georgia
Next time I go out, probably tomorrow, I'm going to connect the capped wires that are in the rear overhead cabinet and then go back and see if I have power at the fan wires.
Also, I have already tried to feel for the wires but the carpet makes it too difficult and I'm very reluctant to pull any carpeting away. Just fearful that I couldn't get it back looking right...maybe it's easy with the adhesive you mention.

Got a couple major things to do on the casita before I feel comfortable taking it on a trip but I do imagine how much fun it's going to be.