Fantastic fan orrrr the Max air fan? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have had both, and the MaxxAir has two lid supports as opposed to only one on the Fantastic Fan, and I like having more speed selections with the Maxx Air, and the fact that the lid can stay open during rain. Typically Lil Snoozy installs the fan vertically on the bathroom wall as it is a flat surface, whereas the roof has compound angles over the bathroom area, so if a Fantastic fan is mounted in the vertical location, using it during showering could put on quite a show for those camped near by.....the Maxx Air lid prevents any peep shows.
Dave & Paula
Looks like a good retro fit idea love the pictures

Old 06-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well it certainly looks like the Maxx Air models are the preferred choice for people in this thread. I expect if I need to replace my FF I would go that route also.

It is true that the FF cover is rather high profile. I was not worried about that because my A/C is in front of the FF cover and the A/C is a little higher, so airflow in travel is no worry. If I did not have the A/C then I would prefer lower profile.

My question is about replacing the Maxx Air covers when they deteriorate in the sun or otherwise get damaged. The FF cover can easily be replaced... just pull four clips (no tools needed), lift out the old one, and put in new one. Also easy to remove it for low clearances when storing the trailer if you wish, although a short ladder might be needed.

How hard is it to replace the Maxx Air cover?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The Fantastic Fan on our 2003 Scamp is still going strong. I installed a Maxxfan rain cover so we could keep the vent open in all weather. The cover is high profile and has a 3 sided louvered opening facing the rear. The single sided opening style vents cut down the CFM of the blower, thus 3 sided is superior. The cover removes for cleaning by pulling 4 pins.
Russ
Old 06-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well it certainly looks like the Maxx Air models are the preferred choice for people in this thread. I expect if I need to replace my FF I would go that route also.

It is true that the FF cover is rather high profile. I was not worried about that because my A/C is in front of the FF cover and the A/C is a little higher, so airflow in travel is no worry. If I did not have the A/C then I would prefer lower profile.

My question is about replacing the Maxx Air covers when they deteriorate in the sun or otherwise get damaged. The FF cover can easily be replaced... just pull four clips (no tools needed), lift out the old one, and put in new one. Also easy to remove it for low clearances when storing the trailer if you wish, although a short ladder might be needed.

How hard is it to replace the Maxx Air cover?
Not hard to do, I replaced my opaque one with the smoke on my Escape, did it from a ladder. About 6 screws and you are done.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
NAICT...Fantastic Fan has a lifetime warranty while the Maxx Fan has a 2year warranty (lifetime on the lid only).
Old 08-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
NAICT...Fantastic Fan has a lifetime warranty while the Maxx Fan has a 2year warranty (lifetime on the lid only).
FF is two years now also, except lifetime for the dome.

Quote:
Of course there is a rain cover for the Fantastic Fan. It's a standard size. I have one.

I do agree that the rain cover is a MUST HAVE. I have always left my FF vent open an inch or so for ventilation (except on the road of course), and never seen rain get in....
I see there is a newer model from Fantastic Vent Co (AKA Atwood) that incorporates a built in rain cover.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
FF is two years now also, except lifetime for the dome.
Perhaps not?

Fan-Tastic Vent company is -- fantastic!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #22

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Perhaps yes... In fact, more than perhaps. The warranty is two years except lifetime for the dome. Period. (Effective January 1, 2013) If the company elects to go beyond the warranty then they can do that, but the warranty is still what it is.

I too have been pleased to see the company go above and beyond at times, but when I called today to get a few resisters to slow down what I think is a too fast and too loud fan - resisters they offered for free just a few months ago and which I would have paid for - I was pretty much blown off.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Perhaps yes... In fact, more than perhaps. The warranty is two years except lifetime for the dome. Period. (Effective January 1, 2013) If the company elects to go beyond the warranty then they can do that, but the warranty is still what it is.

I too have been pleased to see the company go above and beyond at times, but when I called today to get a few resisters to slow down what I think is a too fast and too loud fan - resisters they offered for free just a few months ago and which I would have paid for - I was pretty much blown off.
Perhaps the other folks got lucky?? The did talk to a tech.

Technically resistors (voltage drop) is a lousy way to slow a motor. If the voltage gets too low, the motor stalls. PWM is the best way. I was going see if I can get rid of the resistors this winter. If I come up with a solution I'll post. Raz
Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Perhaps the other folks got lucky?? The did talk to a tech.

Technically resistors (voltage drop) is a lousy way to slow a motor. If the voltage gets too low, the motor stalls. PWM is the best way. I was going see if I can get rid of the resistors this winter. If I come up with a solution I'll post. Raz
Sounds good.. I have seen a number of people put in PWM boards in the past, as well as a few putting in beefy rheostats. I would like to see what you come up. Ebay seems to be a popular source but since I took my fan apart to clean it and left it that way thinking I could get the resisters, I really don't want to wait on a slow boat from China to put it back together.

A few threads that include PWM mods:

PWM Motor Speed Controller Regulator
Fan-tastic vent speed/noise reduction
Old 08-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #25

North Carolina
Just starting to look into this now and I think I want to remove the OEM 3 speed switch by disconnecting the wires shown in the arrows in this photo. That way it could be put back in original condition easy enough.

The fan has a 4 amp fuse (~55 watts) but I don't see a rating for what the max current of the fan alone would be.

Then, find a speed controller that I can fit in this space with the potentiometer shaft coming out through the existing hole for the 3 speed switch.

Any suggestions for the controller will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
OEM 3 speed switch.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #26

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Just starting to look into this now and I think I want to remove the OEM 3 speed switch by disconnecting the wires shown in the arrows in this photo. That way it could be put back in original condition easy enough.

The fan has a 4 amp fuse (~55 watts) but I don't see a rating for what the max current of the fan alone would be.

Then, find a speed controller that I can fit in this space with the potentiometer shaft coming out through the existing hole for the 3 speed switch.

Any suggestions for the controller will be appreciated.
If you look on the side of the fan motor, you will find the amp rating. I think my FF read 2.7, but it's best to check.

As to recommendations on PWM controllers, find one that lists the frequency. My first one was listed at 500 Hz, which is in the low end of human hearing. At some speeds it was distinctly audible, and could be irritating. I don't know if you can find one above 20K Hz, but I would get one that was at least 10K if possible. There are several on Amazon in the 13-15 Khz range.

Most controllers are single board units and should fit in the same place as the switch, but you may want to check the space you have versus the specs. You may be able to use one with the board mounted pot, which would simplify mounting. Mine had the wired pot so I hot glued the unit in the fan, placing the heat sinks as close to the ventilation hole as possible.

Also, go with one with the screw down wire terminal strip for more secure connections.

Good luck. Have fun.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
If you look on the side of the fan motor, you will find the amp rating. I think my FF read 2.7, but it's best to check. ..
Well I looked when I had the blade off but didn't see anything. 2.7 amps sounds like ballpark for sure.

The first few controllers I found were too large to fit in the fan assembly, and besides, they were from China or Hong Kong, so even though the price was right I would prefer to buy from a supplier who is more likely to use quality components. Maybe Digi-Key.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #28

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Well I looked when I had the blade off but didn't see anything. 2.7 amps sounds like ballpark for sure.

The first few controllers I found were too large to fit in the fan assembly, and besides, they were from China or Hong Kong, so even though the price was right I would prefer to buy from a supplier who is more likely to use quality components. Maybe Digi-Key.

You may try DigiKey. Good folks. Marlin P Jones may be another source. As a built unit, those will likely be Chinese too. Mine certainly is, but it works fine and the construction quality looks first rate In case of failure, I carry the original resistor unit and the first PWM I bought.

Do remember, there is Chinese and there is Chinese. To satisfy the mainland government, for some years marking something as, 'Made in Taiwan' or 'Made in Hong Kong' is no longer allowed. I would much prefer to buy 'Made in the US'. Finding it is the trick.