Fantastic fan orrrr the Max air fan? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
This thread has comments about "the" Maxxair and "the" Fantastic. I just spent three hours wading through the specs for dozens of models for both. There are some pretty drastic differences. Here is a table for the Maxxair models: http://www.old.maxxair.com/oem/search2.php and Fantastic: Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail 12 Volt Fans
Also bear in mind that both of these companies have old models and new models, many of which are similar in some respects, but have totally different model naiming systems.
(BTW, I settled on the Maxxair 6201K.)
Hi: sharpstick... Good choice!!! Here's pic's of the MaxxFan I put in our former Boler.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1000041.jpg   MaxxFan open.jpg  

MaxxFan Finished.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #42

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: sharpstick... Good choice!!! Here's pic's of the MaxxFan I put in our former Boler.
Looks nice. Is the smoked cover translucent or opaque? I liked the light coming in through my old one.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #43

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
CFM in roof vent fans

Most of the modern ones are rated 900 or 920 CFMs. I just installed my Maxxair fan and it's pretty good, but 920 CFM is the entire volume of the Burro and then some. It has nice flow, but it's hard to believe that much.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #44

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The widow louvers work well to keep the rain out on my sliders and add an attractive touch of style.
Floyd, I've heard wonderful things about these louvers, but also have heard they are no longer made... did you find them somewhere? Or are these legacy from way back?

Thanks for any info!
Old 04-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Floyd, I've heard wonderful things about these louvers, but also have heard they are no longer made... did you find them somewhere? Or are these legacy from way back?

Thanks for any info!
I installed mine in 2004.

They may be hard to find now.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #46

CA
Quote:
I installed mine in 2004.

They may be hard to find now.
I was kind of afraid of that. Where did you find these?
Old 04-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I was kind of afraid of that. Where did you find these?
I can't recall, but I bought them off the self at an RV store.
I did see a pair at an RV salvage place in Indiana last summer, still in the box. They were made by Maxxair Vent Corporation,,, Tampa FL
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #48

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Trek
Kentucky
Registry
I’m following the discussion bc my new to me 13ft Boler style 1978 only has a vent no fan. I’ve been looking at several options. Since my current vent is original and quite small (approximately 7x7inches) I dread cutting a bigger (?12x12?) hole in the roof. I’ve seen some people putting computer fans in the existing original small vents. Thoughts on that option?

Also, I already have to take the wheels off to get in the garage for storage and the maxx seem to stick up a few inches more possibly making that impossible.

It’s seems for my purposes either the computer fans or FF would be my only options
TeresaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #49

Name: Bill & Sherry
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Wink

Quote:
I like the maxxair and if I thought it was a better choice you can bet Eggy-Sue would have one.
My trailer came with a Fantastic Fan with a lifetime warranty. It has worked perfectly for 13 years now. I see nothing in the Maxxair to justify the change. With the addition of the vent cover and the window louvers, it works perfectly in hard rain and windy conditions.
Below is a photo which shows the type of vent cover which allows full opening of the vent and prevents even wind blown rain from entering.
As for profile it blends well with the low profile Mini-Mach A/C.
The widow louvers work well to keep the rain out on my sliders and add an attractive touch of style.

Floyd,
I like the window louvers, and have been trying to find them for our 2004 Bigfoot. Do you have any suggestions for sites that offer them? I found only one seller who said they are no longer made.

Thanks
Dogtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #50

CA
Quote:
I can't recall, but I bought them off the self at an RV store.
I did see a pair at an RV salvage place in Indiana last summer, still in the box. They were made by Maxxair Vent Corporation,,, Tampa FL
I think that someone should do a scan and make these with a 3D printer... I’m sure there would be a high demand! The only problem is that someone who has a set would need to SHARE them!
Old 06-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #51

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Both fans are good quality fans. You can get the Maxxair fan with a handheld clicker but generally speaking, both fans are reversible, multi speed and can be temperature controlled. I just removed the fantastic fan in my casita and replaced it with the Maxxair. I'll use the fantastic fan on a Sunrader rehab. I chose the Maxxair fan because the fan cover can be left open when it's raining. The fan cover on the Maxxair is superior to that on the Fantastic fan.
We just bought a new Maxx fan model 6401K on sale from Camping World, 4 speeds, blows out only. We do not need the fan to draw in, so we saved the higher price. However, speeds 1 and 2 (which are VERY quiet for night time) do not work, only speeds 3 and 4. CW says to contact MaxxAir. We have tried repeatedly to reach MaxxAir by phone to repair or replace the fan; they have not returned our calls.

The problem could be the PC board. Or an issue with over-voltage (but why do speeds 3 and 4 work?)

Does MaxxAir have problems with their quality control?

Has anyone else experienced similar problems to ours?
Old 06-02-2021, 05:11 AM   #52

Name: Jenn
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Fantastic Fan

We installed a Fantastic fan last year and are quite happy with it. The only feature we would have liked is the automatic rain feature of the Maxx fan so we could leave it open/on when we’re away from the trailer but other than that, we highly recommend the Fantastic fan.
Penelopeblue4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #53

Washington
Smile MaxxAir called back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtree View Post
We just bought a new Maxx fan model 6401K on sale from Camping World, 4 speeds, blows out only. We do not need the fan to draw in, so we saved the higher price. However, speeds 1 and 2 (which are VERY quiet for night time) do not work, only speeds 3 and 4. CW says to contact MaxxAir. We have tried repeatedly to reach MaxxAir by phone to repair or replace the fan; they have not returned our calls.

The problem could be the PC board. Or an issue with over-voltage (but why do speeds 3 and 4 work?)

Does MaxxAir have problems with their quality control?

Has anyone else experienced similar problems to ours?

The answer: After a long conversation with the tech at MaxxAir this morning, they are sending us a new PC board --shipping will take 2-3 weeks though, but all ya got in retirement is time!
Old 06-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #54

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Bill, or Sherry,

I don't know how comfortable you are with electrical stuff, but there is likely an even better solution. The four speeds on your fan are probably the result of 3 different in line resistors, (top speed would be no resistor). This works, but it wastes power. The resistors heat up. The more expensive speed control has more settings, and wastes little power. This is achieved by turning the power supply on and off very quickly, using a method called pulse width modulation, (PWM). At half power, the switch is on half the time, and off half the time.

You can buy a PWM module and add it yourself:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post459872
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tor-64815.html

Also, if you do want to have the fan reverse, that can be done with a fairly simple switch.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #55

CA
I am lurking through all posts regarding Maxxfan and FF. For a 13.5 (with no AC), I still probably don't need a dozen levels, but I'm pretty certain I do want air and/or air out (if a reverse switch will do that, I do have a friend who could probably help install that).

I don't need a remote, but like the cover which allows you to use the fan while it's raining.

The quieter the thing is, the better!

Still, selecting a model is somewhat of a nightmare so far. Recommendations (with reasons why) would be very helpful, TIA.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #56

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I really like the Maxxfan Deluxe in our Escape over the Fantastic Fan that was in our Casita. hardly never use the remote control, and while 10 speeds is a lot, the lower speeds are /very/ quiet... and yes, the big deluxe vent cover is very nice. I do recommend getting the dark 'smoke' cover, it lasts longer when exposed to the sun year after year.

ah, the one I have is the 7500K. another nice feature, you can turn the fan on, set to blow 'in' and close the lid, then it acts like a ceiling fan, and stirs the interior air, without sucking in outside air. on a very low setting, this can help distribute the heat from your furnace on a cold night, or on a hot day, this can keep the interior cool as long as you can (good insulation, dark tinted double pane windows help a lot).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #57

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
I have a Maxxfan with manually operated cover in my Bigfoot cabin. I like the cover though in a hard rain mist comes through the screen as water bounces off of the roof.

On the topic of the screen, while the screen itself keeps out mosquitoes (not no-see-ums) the mosquitoes get in elsewhere, between the screen and garnish. I made a no-see-um mesh screen to fit over the garnish, attached by velcro on the garnish and the screen. THAT keeps out the bugs.

While I guess it is a good protection feature, the circuit board faults with hiccups in the electricity. I have learned that when it beeps every once in a while, like a smoke alarm with low battery, I must pull the fuse for that circuit for the board to reset.

Another problem is with the reliability of the circuit board. I am on my third and have a fourth in reserve. When that fourth one goes I'm on to a Fantastic Fan. The failed boards were corroded. My opinion is that the design allows rainwater bouncing off of the roof to reach the circuit board. Eventually the board fails.

A Fantastic Fan with analog controls (knobs!), three speeds and reverse, has been in my van for 16 years with no troubles.

If I had it to do again I would get a Fantastic Fan with analog controls and a domed vent cover. I have such a cover in the Bigfoot bathroom. Water rarely comes in in the rain.
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I often make use of the MaxxFan temperature setting. I can leave for a day's hike & the fan will come on as the trailer heats, running faster as needed, then slowing down as the air cools. Saves battery compared to leaving it running all the time.

I also often use at at the lowest speed for humidity control, even in cold weather.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote