Fantastic Fan placement. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 04:26 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Fantastic Fan placement.

We are going to install a fantastic fan in our 13 foot Love Bug. The placement of the roof vent is even with the back end of the galley, which is about 2/3 of the way back. The only windows that open are the rear side windows it seems to me that the fan will be most effective if we install it closer to the front of the camper so air will be drawn a greater distance and cause greater movement in the front of the camper as well. The vent opening in the LB is 9"and the fan is 14" so we will be cutting a hole either way. Condensation prevention is our primary objective. I would like to know what some of you more experienced RVers think.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Fan

We had a fan directly over the bed once and it was great. It was reversible so we had it blowing right on us.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On our Scamp the emergency hatch is on the back section of the roof so the only place left was on the front section of the roof. I installed my fantastic fan there. There is a concern with a fan over the cooking burners so there are 2 issues to contend with.

Don't have the fan blowing in when cooking and for safety's sake remove the top of the burner unit and make sure that there are no open holes through the metal case that are not sealed. You don't want a lit burner's flame being forced under the burner trying to get out under the unit into the under belly of your stove top cabinet. Most modern stove tops are sealed and older units are not.

I used adhesive backed foil duct flashing to seal the holes that would allow air flow through them. Behind the cabinet there is usually vents for the refrigerator and you don't want the fan forcing heat out through that path.

If you are using the old style fantastic fan look into the resistor modification to slow the fan speed down making it a 6 speed instead of three speed. These trailers are so small slowing the fan down and also the reduction of fan noise is a real treat. Do a search on this site for that information.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Actually I consistently use the fan blowing inward when cooking.
With the window above the stove open, cooking odors are carried out nicely leaving the interior clean and odor free.
We have a Scamp13D front bath which is veritably festooned on the roof. The Fantastic fan is placed behind the A/C, over the bed. I think it works best in that location, whether you are using it for intake or exhaust.
Any placement will work well on exhaust to draw air in through the windows. Properly installed the fan adds rigidity and so reasonable proximity to other roof openings is not a problem.
Here are a few photos of the most recent installation over the bed which I did earlier this year....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0204.JPG   DSCF0210.JPG  

DSCF0211.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We had a fan "IN FRONT" of the air cond.

Our 13 ft had air cond. and rear cabinet. This did not allow for the installation of the fan in the rear of the air cond.
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote