Fantastic Fan question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We just had a Fantastic Fan installed & the instruction sheet included is very minimal. It says to close all vents & open a window on the shady side of the camper to get the best effect. However, it says nothing about the best way to use the fan when the AC is running.

Our AC is installed near the floor level, so it tends to be nice & cool in the lower half of the Scamp but a lot warmer near the ceiling. We are hoping that the Fantastic Fan can be used to draw out the hot air near the ceiling & make the temp more comfortable throughout.

Can anyone advise us on the best way to use the Fantastic Fan with the AC? Should we close all windows or leave one slightly open? Any tips would be appreciated! We're not going anywhere soon--we're having highs of 100 degrees this week! Thanks!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Cold air falls so by running your fantastic fan in the reverse mode(taking the air out of your trailer)I would imagine it would help to bring the cold air towards the ceiling.However it also will take the cold air out the vent and may not circulate it throughout the trailer.....Pat.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #3

Yes, we learned from pre-Fantastic Fan experience that the hot air needs to be able to escape through the roof vent. Otherwise there can be a 10 to 15 degree difference between the temp at floor level & head level on a really hot day. Has anyone figured out a combination that seems to work best on hot days?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I would consider FF and a/c to be two separate tools with different uses.

The FF's purpose in life is to get outside air flowing in through one source and out through another -- The a/c's purpose is to keep all the air inside, cooling and de-humidifying it every time it passes through the a/c -- Very different applications.

For use with a/c, I would get a small circulating fan, the kind that moves back and forth, to keep the cool air moving around and feeling cooler.

The only time I'd use the FF with a/c would be in the initial startup to flush the standing hot air out so the a/c wouldn't have to work as hard or long to make it all comfortable.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I also thought about the fantastic fan and the air conditioner combo and i get the same feelings that pete gets to just quickly use it to remove the old hot air.
I thought about leaving the roof vent shut and using the fantastic fan to circulate the inside but if you look at the fan the blades come to the end of the shroud and there is no way to pickup up old air and disperse new air and could possibly burn out the motor. small table fan seems like the best option so far but i'm willing to change with the right example.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #6

Makes sense to me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Sandra