Fantastic Fan - Scamp - Screws or Rivets? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #21

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Anyone considering installing a fantastical fan should order the model that has the trim package intended for thin ceilings (I believe it is called the HiProfile), not the typical thick ceilings found on stick-built RVs
We bought our Fantastic Vent from Adohen Supply Co and were really impressed with all the choices they offered. Did you know that you can specify the lid type and color, choose a thin ceiling or regular ceiling model, and pick the interior color? Plus they had great prices.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
We bought our Fantastic Vent from Adohen Supply Co and were really impressed with all the choices they offered. Did you know that you can specify the lid type and color, choose a thin ceiling or regular ceiling model, and pick the interior color? Plus they had great prices.

Jeanne
I purchased my fan in the Oregon last summer. It was on sale, exchange almost par and no tax. :-) I got the standard one for stick trailers as I did not know they had a thin ceiling one. Have worried about how the heck I was going to get it to fit ever since. Finally got up the nerve to cut the hole this week-end and got it in. Worked out fine. Purchased a 1 1/16" x 1 1/16" L shaped wood trim to use instead of the trim kit that came with it. It does come down that amount from the rat fir but it is over top of the table so head room is not an issue. Used Butyl tape instead of the gaset that came with it. Turned out fine. Will post a photo under modifications section.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The original fan factory installed in my Scamp had butyl tape, no gasket. The factory also added caulk to all the rivets and a little around the edge of the fan. So that's exactly what I did when I put the fantastic fan in.

I'm not interested in any leaks in the roof. I find no reason not to use the caulk. It'll be years before I replace the fantastic fan.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
The original fan factory installed in my Scamp had butyl tape, no gasket. The factory also added caulk to all the rivets and a little around the edge of the fan. So that's exactly what I did when I put the fantastic fan in.

I'm not interested in any leaks in the roof. I find no reason not to use the caulk. It'll be years before I replace the fantastic fan.
Thanks Joy I did add caulking under the rivets and caps just haven't done around the outside yet.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #25

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Oops , I said Plumbers putty and should have said Butyl tape. I had used Plumbers putty for something else.

I added the caulk around the outside flange because that's what the factory had done with my original fan and all other outside ports, doors and vents.
What size rivets did you use (length especially) to go through the vent flange, the butyl tape and the fiberglass roof of the scamp?

Thanks.
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #26

Registry
Jumbo here is a finished pictures of how mine turned out. I am pretty sure the rivet grip was 1/2' to 5/8". Keep in mind that as you rivet it down it will sink down into the butyl tape. When I resealed the big escape hatch I reinstalled it the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000825 small.JPG  

Tags
scamp