Fantastic fan vs "other brand" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Okay I'm to lazy to research this and was hoping I could get some 2 cents from the been there done that group...I experienced the fantastic fan..but I haven't seen any other fan...when I look up pricing its pretty signifigant...so why? as long as they both move air whats the difference?

second updated question would a 12v fan work the same( saw them at an auto store 14.00 that clips on) or a small computer fan..I realize you would not have the same features of say a three way low medium high but typically I guess the function is just to move the darn hot air out...any thoughts on this
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have had both. The fantastic fan is good , but now i have the Maxx air fan. I prefer the Maxx air fan because you can leave it open all the time. I think the Fantastic fan can do the same but i have not seen one set up that way. They both work real well.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I have had both. The fantastic fan is good , but now i have the Maxx air fan.
Is this the one you have, Ches?
MaxxAir Vent (link)

"Fantastic-Fan" makes several versions.
"Fantastic-Fan" product line (link)

I have the simplest one, the 4000 R. I waited for a significant sale at Camping World before I bought mine.

Many folks want to leave the vent open all of the time, if they already have a Fantastic-Fan, they buy an additional MaxxAir Cover to go over their Fantastic-Fan.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Is this the one you have, Ches?
MaxxAir Vent (link)
Yes
Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Brandy:
Mine came with a Fantastic-Fan which worked great. I did put a MaxxAir cover on it and the ability to keep it open in the worst weather is a very important ventilation plus. Their customer service is unequalled too.

I changed it out to a MaxxFan (55000) because 1) the cover over the fan was huge and probably caused a significant air drag at speed. 2) the inside screen quickly became caked with greasy dust since we don't have a hood over the stove (the MaxxFan requires no tools to quickly unclip the screen for cleaning. The F.-fan requires a phillips screwdriver to undo and remount the numerous screws). 3) with the cover over it I could not open the F.-fan fully and the air movement was significantly reduced and 4) no cover is necessary with the Maxxfan.

They are both fine products. I plan to contact the MaxxFan people, because I would like to reduce the speed of all 4 speeds quite a bit. They are both a bit too powerful overall for my tiny trailer, and I'd especially like to have the lowest speed running very gently and quietly. They'll probably have some directions for inserting another or different resistor or something like it to calm the thing down a bit.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi:Brandy... My vote goes to MaxxFan... It's like Heinz says "There are no other Kindz".
The integral rain hood was what sold me for our Boler(Sleek) and Escape uses them as well!!! Send me a personal message with your email add and I will send you my installation pic's I took at each step of the installation.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I forgot the fan is 3spd. reversible and fused...comes in both smoked and white takes little batt. juice and on our Boler almost sucked the curtains off the windows!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Both brands are excellent, both in the product and in the customer service -- I wish I could say the same for other vendors. They have had an excellent rep for many years. If anything goes wrong, a call to tech support will narrow the problem and they will ship parts to where ever you are.

I think they are worth the difference in price from the El Cheapos -- They move a lot of air, quietly and for little power -- With some thought as to where to mount them, they can keep the place cool on 12VDC and remove cooking byproducts (except the large blackened masses that sometime accumulate on my range and pots!). In the case of FF, all models are upgradeable to the options -- Next fan I add on an RV will have the rain cover so it can be left open.

Another product worth looking at is FF's Endless Breeze, which can be set up in a window.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I agree with Pete.

Our Max Air blows 'in' or 'out' and has a temperature adjustment that turns the fan off when the temp drops to the setpoint. This is nice so that you don't have to get up in the middle of the night and turn off the fan.

The expensive fans provide a lot more air movement for the power used. This is really important if you boondock for more than a day or two.

Another fan I have (actually two of them) is a Hella for circulating the hot air to the floor during cold weather camping. They are available from West Marine and also cost a lot, but worth it in performance and electrical usage.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote