Fast Bed Changeover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Fast Bed Changeover

Normally I leave the bed in place, but have been doing some experimenting trying to find an easy way to go from table with seating to bed and back again.

I'm going to start doing some longer trips, and think it might be a good idea to be able to have the big table up part of the time. I have a small table along the side that is easy to put up and take down, but the 4 seater table under the bed is difficult to put up.

This is for a Parkliner, so let me lay out the particular problems I am having:
  • The cushions on the left and right sides overlay the table by a couple of inches on each side. To move the table from the down to up position means you have to lift the cushions on both sides so the table will slide up. (Move everything off cushions)
  • To lift the cushions up, the mattress/foam/bed covers have to first be moved completely out of the bed area. Same with the cushions that are over the table top.
  • Once the table is up, the cushions can be moved back into place.
  • You still need a place to store the bedding, etc.
I had been using a mattress instead of the cushions that came with the trailer. I have 2" and 4" foam on top of the mattress. Very comfortable. So I took the mattress out and replaced the cushions. I can roll up each piece of foam and store them on 1 side of table. Then roll up or fold bedding and store that on top of foam rolls.

This is quite a workout and takes longer than it reads.

So I'm hoping some of you have come up with simpler ways to convert from bed to not bed.

Ideas?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We use an IKEA Futon mattress. That's two mattresses permanently joined for every night use. I can flip one half onto the other, with bedding in place, and then slide it against the wall. I then set up a small table and add two cushions, and have a 2 person dinette in about 2 minutes, up or down. Here is a pic of it set up as a dinette, click on the picture for additional pics. (No, we're not that skinny, the table slide back on tracks for easy entry)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #3

Virginia
This is what it looks like on the Parkliner with the table set up for 4. Notice the width of the table (l to r) is slightly larger than the opening between the cushions. This means the cushions have to be held up while the table is lowered into the bed support position. If the wall cushions are left in place, it really becomes a frustrating juggling act. So the easiest way is to remove the wall cushions and all the bedding, lean the 2 remaining cushions against the walls, and lower the table.

At this point, the front of the trailer is piled high with bedding and cushions.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
One idea might be to put the table on pedestals (poles) so you don't have to deal with being connected to the wall and could deal with each side individually. Another thought is to just stack two of the cushions on the table while you are lowering it.

But I'm not there

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
Bob, I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of your Hunter Compact! Huck's interior is very cute also! My little Casita has to get it's character from the seasonal "decorations" that I have! But Lincoln, the dog, and I love it!
Susan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #6

North Carolina
Registry
Huck, the interior of your camper looks so nice! Love the colors!
Old 12-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan J View Post
Huck, the interior of your camper looks so nice! Love the colors!
That's a picture from Parkliner's facebook page. I chose more subdued colors.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
That's a picture from Parkliner's facebook page. I chose more subdued colors.
That's so funny! I was so impressed with your decorating!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:20 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I created our bedding so it can be easily rolled up and put away. In my photos you can see that my custom-made mattress topper rolls up in 2 pieces to put in the bench. The comforter can be rolled around a tube and placed next to the back wall suspended over the side bench seats. We have also draped fleece blankets over the seats for decor as well as storage.

See my other posts for more details on bedding by searching "Gilda bedding" on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I created our bedding so it can be easily rolled up and put away. In my photos you can see that my custom-made mattress topper rolls up in 2 pieces to put in the bench. The comforter can be rolled around a tube and placed next to the back wall suspended over the side bench seats. We have also draped fleece blankets over the seats for decor as well as storage.

See my other posts for more details on bedding by searching "Gilda bedding" on this forum.
Thanks.

I use a 4" foam cover and then added a 2" for comfort.

Questions:
  • Does using a split foam mattress cause any problems?
  • Don't you still have the same problem I have when you put the table up? You have to move everything to the front of the trailer so you can lift up the cushions to allow enough room for the table top to clear.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How about splitting the table, too? Make a U-shaped dinette. The back stays down as a seat (or daytime napping spot). The front becomes a much smaller pedestal table that you can negotiate into position without moving cushions.

The U-shaped configuration usually doesn't affect dining capacity, if that's an issue; in fact, it's probably more comfortable, with one on each side and two or three across the back if needed.

The Scamp table does have somewhat the same problem as yours, but because it's smaller, it's more manageable. I find I can brace the table with my knee in a partly lowered position and wiggle and nudge it past the cushions. We generally leave the bed made up and only put up the table on inclement weather days. If it were an everyday thing I would do the U-shaped dinette mod.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #12

California
Registry
There is absolutely no problem with the "split" topper as the Scamp bed is bound on 3 1/2 sides thereby keeping the topper in place. The topper is so soft that the "split" is barely noticeable when sleeping. The topper is about 1 1/2 inches thick. When taking down the bed we roll the bedding around a core and place it on the front couch. Then we roll up the topper and place the pieces in the bench. After that, we set up the table.

Granted, we have found it easier to keep the bed set up most of the time as the weather, when camping, has been mostly mild and we eat outside except for breakfast. Breakfast is usually very simple with a muffin and coffee for my husband and granola and yogurt for me. We use small cafeteria-style trays on our laps while we sit on the edge of the bed and the couch. When it's dark outside, and we have enjoyed a campfire, we retire to the trailer fairly early and read in bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Thanks.

I use a 4" foam cover and then added a 2" for comfort.

Questions:
  • Does using a split foam mattress cause any problems?
  • Don't you still have the same problem I have when you put the table up? You have to move everything to the front of the trailer so you can lift up the cushions to allow enough room for the table top to clear.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
There is absolutely no problem with the "split" topper as the Scamp bed is bound on 3 1/2 sides thereby keeping the topper in place. The topper is so soft that the "split" is barely noticeable when sleeping. The topper is about 1 1/2 inches thick. When taking down the bed we roll the bedding around a core and place it on the front couch. Then we roll up the topper and place the pieces in the bench. After that, we set up the table.

Granted, we have found it easier to keep the bed set up most of the time as the weather, when camping, has been mostly mild and we eat outside except for breakfast. Breakfast is usually very simple with a muffin and coffee for my husband and granola and yogurt for me. We use small cafeteria-style trays on our laps while we sit on the edge of the bed and the couch. When it's dark outside, and we have enjoyed a campfire, we retire to the trailer fairly early and read in bed.
Thanks. I'm going to explore gluing my 4" and 2" foam toppers together and then splitting them down the middle, like yours. When I roll them up they will be bigger in circumference, but the width will be half. I think that might make them a little easier to store.

Also going to try cutting them to fit the corners like you did.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 PM   #14

California
Registry
Other threads have mentioned the following system, but at close to $300 for queen size I think I'd make my own. When you think of it though, 2 comforters plus bedsheets and 2 long zippers could easily equal $300. The most important part of an RVRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog You can find the RV Super Bag at RVSuperbag.com
You might be able to assemble an RV Super Bag of your own by shopping the bedding sales that are going on now, in January, at places like JC Penny, Walmart or Macys. Super deals can be had by purchasing "Bed in a Bag" or complete bedding sets that typically come with comforters, sheets, pillowcases, pillow shams and bedskirts. From the bedskirts and extra fabric from sheets you can make great curtains or curtain panels. Even with these sets though, you only get one flat sheet. I have found loose flat sheets (without having to purchase a set) at stores that specialize in bargain linens such as Linen Outlet in San Francisco and Westlake Shopping Center in Daly City, California. Extra long zippers and Velcro can be purchased at most sewing and fabric stores.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #15

California
Registry
While researching bedding and sleep in an RV I came across this video on one of my favorite RV websites, The Long, Long Honeymoon. Long Long Honeymoon | #Loloho » Search Results » sleep video