Fear of Fiberglaassing - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #81

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Steve,

Yeah, plywood edges don't take screws very solidly...and, no, there wasn't much to remove. Paul was a little unnerved how the upper part of the door frame just sort of plopped down on him! Just rotted to pulp.

That "eyebrow" thing--rain guard--was flat when we got it; someone had it off and riveted it on again flat. Nuts. We'll have to make a new one out of fiberglass.

Paul got that "swoosh" area where the stove vent was all glassed in; I had wanted a rounder shape to the swoosh but his has a straight center--he says it matches the other side but I was too miffed to even go look. I had to admit it looks fine, though; I just wanted it to be a little more curvaceous! He's really gotten into using the fiberglass.

He said thanks for the tips on the floor to wall work! He has about 1/2 done already, and actually said he was sorry it was going so slow! It's only been the morning (while I made chicken-based dog food)! Nice day again today, good weather for fiberglassing!

Well, will let you go, know you're busy, great to hear how you're doing!

BEST
Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #82

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Weep holes?

I read through your hole thread in one go yesterday. It is really entertaining. I think I saw a reference to weep holes at one point but cannot find it today. (Or maybe it was a different thread) .
Anyway, my question is whether most fg trailers have little holes in the floor to allow for drainage? I conscientiously filled all the holes in the base of my Ventura before replacing the wood floor and am now thinking that I maybe should have left a few at the lowest points to allow for water to escape.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #83
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I read through your hole thread in one go yesterday. It is really entertaining. I think I saw a reference to weep holes at one point but cannot find it today. (Or maybe it was a different thread) .
Anyway, my question is whether most fg trailers have little holes in the floor to allow for drainage?
Escape trailers do have drain holes at several places on the perimeter of the trailer, but the bottom side edges are rounded and below the floor level to act like a French drain. The holes are a tad over 1/4 inch in diameter, so not so tiny.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #84

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Thanks,
In all the corners of Ventura trailers there are "troughs" that slant toward the center sides of the trailer and end in a low area. The three widest are about 9" by 2 feet and the one by the door is about a foot long by 3" sloping toward the base of the door. In the long ones I have put 1" holes at the lowest part with plugs that I can remove to drain any water but there is no hole by the door so I think I will make a small one there.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #85

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Anyway, my question is whether most fg trailers have little holes in the floor to allow for drainage? I conscientiously filled all the holes in the base of my Ventura before replacing the wood floor and am now thinking that I maybe should have left a few at the lowest points to allow for water to escape.

THANKS!

Yes, SteveV suggested we leave any weep holes we might find; by that time Paul had already glassed everything over, so we poured water in the troughs (we call them "pontoons") and drilled at the lowest points. About one or two per pontoon. About 1/4"

I worry a bit that ants will get in, or mud will clog them, and have considered shoving little caps inside to be pulled out and cleaned periodically, but in the end we just left them open. Whatever splashes up in can drain back out again, and anything leaking from above can drain out, too.

As of today, August 26, 2016, we've been out 3 times for a total of 11 nights. So far the fiberglass is holding up great. Each trip, each night brings on a tweak or two, but not to the glass. Over the coming winter Paul thinks he might smooth over that "divot" where an exterior hatch was in front of the port side wheel well, make it match the rest of the side...

l
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 E.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 001.JPG  

Old 08-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #86

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you do get ants in just sprinkle some dry Borax Laundry additive in the area. They can't survive it. Plus it will kill mold and prevent mold so bonus points. Just vacuum it up or wash it up. Not good for washing aluminum with so keep it off of that surface. It will also kill those pesky northwest carpenter ants. You can put a little of the powder on ant nest if you want to get rid of one in the area you park in.

The divot where the hatch was does not look bad now that the paint job is done. It will bother you guys more than it being all that noticeable as any kind of a strange looking thing to other people.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #87

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've physically seen Kathleen's and Paul's Amerigo. They have every right to be proud of this rehab.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #88

Registry
(My blushes, Watson!)

Hi, DonnaD!

A pleasure to have met you at the Bandon Gathering, and to see your beautiful trailer.

Thanks for the kind words!

Paul's been having a driveway sale for the last few weekends and has given several tours every day.
Peanut is quite a draw, as I hear all these little glass eggs are.

K & P
Old 08-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #89

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you do get ants in just sprinkle some dry Borax Laundry additive in the area. They can't survive it. Plus it will kill mold and prevent mold so bonus points. Just vacuum it up or wash it up. Not good for washing aluminum with so keep it off of that surface. It will also kill those pesky northwest carpenter ants. You can put a little of the powder on ant nest if you want to get rid of one in the area you park in.

The divot where the hatch was does not look bad now that the paint job is done. It will bother you guys more than it being all that noticeable as any kind of a strange looking thing to other people.

A big 10-4 on the borax, very effective; also diatomaceous earth would work...of course if ants came in through the weep holes , they'd be under the floor and inaccessible except through the weep holes==though we could probably shoot some powder through with a dry atomizer...

You're right, no doubt, the divot bugs us more than anyone else. Most people wouldn't realize exactly what it was, anyway...Paul had thought it might be somehow structural (like molded ribs) as well as a rain guarded area for the hatch, and hence foolish to remove, but after considering it for several months, we now believe it's not necessarily structural and could be smoothed over.

He may remove it; it'd make more room inside for storage under the front bed/settee...though we're not particularly cramped.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I have Peanut all "straightened out" for his driveway sale tours, and ought to get out there and have him take some updated photos while it's looking good.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #90

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Divot...great place for a pet door
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #91

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Divot...great place for a pet door

Hi, k. corbin,

Oh, yes, I considered that!

I drew up a number of sketches, including an extendible ramp, a portable, exterior enclosure fastened to the outside, etc. so the pugs could get in and out without our having to take them on leads.

In the end, though, that hatch was the entry point for water, causing one of the chief areas of rot, and we just couldn't bring ourselves to replace the door.

Now we're not sure if we want to remove and glass over the awning railing. As it is, it's more holes in the shell...but more versatility...though we've decided we prefer a pop-up canopy for now. Still...ideas?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #92

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Put an aspirin in your drain hole. If water is present the aspirin dissolves and then the water will drain. This is the trigger they use for self inflating life vests. Good enough to save your life in a boat it should work well in the small drain holes in your floor.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #93

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Put an aspirin in your drain hole. If water is present the aspirin dissolves and then the water will drain. This is the trigger they use for self inflating life vests. Good enough to save your life in a boat it should work well in the small drain holes in your floor.

Well, well! An aspirin, eh? Will do! Keep the ants out (unless they like aspirins...)

Reminds me of the mouse/rat trap we used to recommend at the shelter when people wanted them gone but didn't want to kill them: they used a cracker for one of the walls. You catch the creature, quickly take the cage to a remote area, set it down and let the mouse/rat chew through the cracker. Voila.