Fear of Fiberglaassing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Fear of Fiberglaassing

Anyone have any tips about mixing and laying down fiberglass that could help my husband get over what we've realized is a "fear of fiberglassing?"

We didn't know he was afraid of the chemicals until he'd bought all the products he's likely to need, has gloves, long sleeves, goggles, and new filters for an industrial respirator, but came home with even bigger and more expensive filters and even then--delayed. Delayed? Simply didn't get started.

He has yet to try patching even the tiniest spot of fiberglassing, and we have at least 31 holes, large and small, to get filled before we can proceed to other things...

Anyone else afraid of fiberglassing? He's watched at least 11 tutorials online about it, including ones referenced here, and keeps saying, "Oh, OK, NOW I see!" but he just won't start.

Any help? Words of encouragement?

Would shaming or a whip help? I've tried bribes, but the man is iron-clad integrity-filled; that $20 I was waving at him didn't cut any ice at all!

Thanks!

(In his defense, I admit he finally taped over the biggest, lowest holes so the mice don't get in. But that's not "quite" the right thing.)
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Bust out that flapper wheel on a grinder and start the prep work yourself. This was my first fiberglass work - a tree had fallen into my trillium before i bought it.

wear long sleeves when grinding, buy cheap brushes for the resin work, the rest is really covered in the how to's , its not that tough.

dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
With the tremclad rec white - its about a 10 foot job, most people would never notice it now that the trailer is cleaned up - some day i'll get around to shaving the belly band and painting the whole exterior, but its in really good shape, so i'm just living with it for now.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

Registry
WOW! HUGE hole, GREAT looking job, beautiful at the end!

You know, it's funny I never thought of starting it myself. Good idea.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Best way to motivate a man is through his stomach. Go out and circle 3 holes that need fixing and tell him when they are done you will fix him XXX for dinner. (fill in whatever he likes best)

Fiberglass work isn't hard or even challenging. Its already screwed up so you can only make it better. If you don't like how it comes out you get out the grinder and remove it. It takes 10 seconds to remove any mistakes that you don't like. Its not like your fixing a boat where everything you do is structural and if it leaks your boat sinks and you drown.

My gal will work with me on this stuff. It makes the work much more fun. If you can frost a cake you can do fiberglass work.

Once you get the holes filled its the smoothing out that's allot tougher. Even though if you screw it up you just add more.

So much information online there is no reason to be hesitant to jump in and get it done.

The only thing I caution is flammability of the chemicals and solvents.
don't mix more than what you need and keep the stuff away from flame and high heat source. The more ventilation you have the better.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just how big are the holes. Small holes can be filled with body puddly (Bondo or JB Weld)

Debit did a most excellent job on his large hole. Looks professional.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Just how big are the holes. Small holes can be filled with body puddly (Bondo or JB Weld)

Debit did a most excellent job on his large hole. Looks professional.
Darwin's right, smaller things can be filled with a fiberglass reinforced filler, such as this:

Bondo Bondo-Hair Long Strand Fiberglass Reinforced Body Filler quart 762
Old 11-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #8

Registry
Offer for baked goods upcoming; circled several of the smallest floor holes. Planning to take down his grinder thing and see if I can hook it to the air compressor...that alone ought to get him "involved," touching his tool!

Wait, that sounded wrong, somehow.

Well, we'll see what happens next! Thanks!

Oh, he came home and showed me he HAS a can of the Bondo Hair for fiberglass, (good to know it's the right stuff...) it's brand new, he just bought it. He's saying things I'm not sure I understand, like "Then Help Frenzies About" or "When Hell Freezes Over..." but then again, there's those baked goods on offer...

I think he just likes buying the products. And there's still the grinder waiting to be hooked up...that ought to get him going!

Oh--most of the holes are quite small...one is quite big, like 24 x 37, but we have an old fiberglass panel to "mostly " fill it, so it's not as bad as it looks.

PS. He went for the whole-grain breakfast biscuits, and says, "Maybe tomorrow!" Will update.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Tell him you contacted a boat fiberglass repairman and he will B out next week to start work. If that don't get him off the couch then co tact a boat fiberglass repairman and invite him over.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Get some scrape and practice. It is a bit of an art form and while many can do an acceptable job right form the start, having some practice under your belt will not only build confidence but help in producing a better finish.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #11

Registry
LOL! If he doesn't get going tomorrow, I'll tell him that!

8)

And..right, some of the circled holes barely go through the shell and will be under the floor plywood (some day!), so how they come out isn't very important...they'd be great trial spots. I'll double circle them.

He seems to realize the time is arriving when the dreaded fiberglass must be faced. 31 holes to go.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Lee here, Twin Falls Idaho. You are blessed in Seattle to have several wooden boatbuilding functions . Suggest husband sign on to visit or participate in the fiberglassing section of a build. In the alternative I bet there are a few, or a bunch, of forum members in Seattle who would be willing to give husband a short "how to " clinic . I built a small teardrop trailer and the big hang up for me was visualizing how to accomplish the desired project. I imagine there are several videos on this forum of fiberglass repairs ( I don't know exactly where they are but maybe other forum members can help ). If not on this forum other sites, West Epoxy Systems, comes to mind may provide such videos. If your husband is like me seeing how to do it can open the door to getting it done. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I just had some fiberglass work done on my trailer. If you're really concerned about playing with fiberglass go to a boat repair shop. I don't play with fiberglass because I don't have the safety equipment needed.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #14

Registry
Thanks, yes, the West Epoxy systems videos are quite good...

That's an idea, to go to a boatyard (we do have one or two around here) and let him get his feet wet, so to speak.

He has "all" the safety equipment; I'm waiting for him to bring home a full haz-mat suit or a moon-walking spacesuit...

He used to do fiberglassing when he was in shop in high school! That's what baffles me...and he swears he WANTS to do this! If he'd been at all reluctant to start with, we wouldn't even have looked at an egg!

Maybe it was the presence of the shop teacher that lent him confidence. Good idea to ask around for a person-to-person tutorial. OR, maybe if he just starts with the two-part bondo-hair...it's a paste, so shouldn't feel so lively, maybe.

I'll suggest all these things to him.

Thanks! 31 holes to go.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
West system epoxy is expensive and not necessary. I'd stay with polyester resin and glass mat. These are available at most car repair places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I just had some fiberglass work done on my trailer. If you're really concerned about playing with fiberglass go to a boat repair shop. I don't play with fiberglass because I don't have the safety equipment needed.
Byron, what safety equipment is needed?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #16

Registry
Well...for repairs, he already got the epoxy fiberglass...and that's what he used in shop class oh, so many decades ago...it doesn't have the cute little pumps, though. I'm beyond caring if the supplies are "cute."

Safety equipment...he already has: rubber/latex gloves, industrial respirator with fiberglass/bleach/etc. cartridges, goggles, long sleeves, and a "healthy" fear of the chemicals-- And there's the rub, his fear has been too healthy, all the way to, apparently, pathological. I think all your advice here has helped a lot....

He said he WILL begin with the bondo-hair tomorrow, he said he's done a lot of bondo (2-part) before, and feels comfortable with it. So that'd be good!

31 holes to go.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A few years back (about 411 BCE) a guy by the name of Aristophanes described a proven solution to the kind of problem you are having when he wrote the play Lysistrada.

Google the title and show your other half Ms. Lysistrada's solution to her problem. I am sure he will get the hint and will get with the program in short order.

If it can stop a war, it can certainly get the fiberglass work started..... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dave (D.White) has written a terrific thread just for YOU. Check it out: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html

Lots of great pics too!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kai, my Dad told me over 50 years ago something that has served me well ever sense. "Don't be afraid to try it, there is always someone that can fix it". I've had to call in the cavalry a couple times but after watching them I found that I had the same idea but just wasn't sure. Cost me a few bucks but I just added it to my list of "Lifes learning experiences". Learning to finish drywall or concrete is a hands on thing....a book or video can give you the basics but only hands on and doing it will gain you the knack of a good finish. FG is the same, it's pretty easy, can be a bit messy, a little smelly and can make you itch some but it sure isn't rocket science. Tell your hubby to get to it already....it won't fix itself .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #20

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
No disrespect intended...This problem might be a fear of failure rather than a fear of fiberglass!
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote