Fear of Fiberglaassing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #21

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Kai in Seattle, are you sure you're not talking about MY husband who is also in Seattle? We went through an identical scenario this past summer. All supplies and more purchased but just sitting, no repairs started. I finally started getting quotes from the multitude of boat shops in the area. Talk about budget busters! I set a deadline for the work since I planned to take a solo 2000 mile roadtrip to CA.....if he didn't get it done by then I would shell out the $$$$ to have the boat guys do it. That finally kicked him into action. So here's a tip - get him started on a cosmetically easy spot. For us it was the wheel well. Mostly hidden, it didn't need to be perfect. That did the trick. Once he got started he found it wasn't as hard as expected. He finished the repairs on time.
BTW, we found a great fiberglas guy over in Port Orchard, retired, works from his home, a 40 year Corvette hobbyist who does lovely work at a fraction of the price of boat guys. We had him do some more challenging spots like re sculpting the fin that runs along the side of our Burro. Let me know if you want his contact info.
Maybe we should set up a fiberglassing party in Seattle...once the weather improves.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #22

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
sheeesh! woman....

Attached Thumbnails
fixit.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #23

Name: Edward
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
D. White (Dave) on this site has written a clear and comprehensive description on fiberglass repair. If you follow his advice you'll have a sound repair and do it safely.
AshlandEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Donna, Hi, Ashland Ed (from Oregon, yaay, I'm an Oregonian once upon...) D. White's thread of 12 pages is very helpful. Read all the way through, Paul read it, too, especially good tips for us on using panels for the biggest holes--good photos. Thanks for the referral.

The idea of safety is first in our minds, that was part of the problem. It helped a lot to hear so many people saying it's OK, it's OK, use normal safety precautions and you don't really need a full-on Haz-Mat suit or spacesuit. The fiberglass filter cartridges for his industrial respirator are good enough...etc.

That all helped.

Also, Bob Miller, Lysistrata, a classic example! LOL Were we a BIT younger, might work even better than the stomach route...as it is, six of one, half-dozen, etc.

Francois, hilarious, we loved it.

Marcia, yes, a good idea, really, when the rain and wind abates! Maybe we Seattleites can get together for a fiberglassing party one day!

Linda, yes, fear of failure is part of it, the suggestions you can always sand/grind it out again and it's already bad, you can hardly make it a lot worse was all very helpful!

Borrego Dave, thanks! It won't fix itself! Good saying!

Dave Tilston--Dave W, he got some generic resin and hardener at a local boatyard, and it turns out to be epoxy. He also got Bondo-Hair fiberglass Bondo.

Everyone else from the previous page--THANK YOU, TOO!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #25

Registry
ANNOUNCEMENT:
In spite of the rain and wind today (if this trailer shell's a rockin,' Paul won't be out there a caulkin...' Paul went out after lunch and filled SIX holes!

YAAY!

TWENTY-FIVE HOLES TO GO!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
ANNOUNCEMENT:
In spite of the rain and wind today (if this trailer shell's a rockin,' Paul won't be out there a caulkin...' Paul went out after lunch and filled SIX holes!

YAAY!

TWENTY-FIVE HOLES TO GO!

So what did he have to say about it??? Easy peasy???
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
???
Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #28

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
Quote:
Anyone have any tips about mixing and laying down fiberglass that could help my husband get over what we've realized is a "fear of fiberglassing?"

We didn't know he was afraid of the chemicals until he'd bought all the products he's likely to need, has gloves, long sleeves, goggles, and new filters for an industrial respirator, but came home with even bigger and more expensive filters and even then--delayed. Delayed? Simply didn't get started.

He has yet to try patching even the tiniest spot of fiberglassing, and we have at least 31 holes, large and small, to get filled before we can proceed to other things...

Anyone else afraid of fiberglassing? He's watched at least 11 tutorials online about it, including ones referenced here, and keeps saying, "Oh, OK, NOW I see!" but he just won't start.

Any help? Words of encouragement?

Would shaming or a whip help? I've tried bribes, but the man is iron-clad integrity-filled; that $20 I was waving at him didn't cut any ice at all!

Thanks!

(In his defense, I admit he finally taped over the biggest, lowest holes so the mice don't get in. But that's not "quite" the right thing.)
Wow, I wish we lived close together and I would come over and help him get started!
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #29

Name: Edward
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I'm glad you found Dave's post helpful.

One further stage is gelcoat repair. A youtube site I like is by " boatworks today" it is very informative on how to make a repair almost invisible. It takes some practice but the results are excellent.
AshlandEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #30

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
fiberglassing

Quote:
Anyone have any tips about mixing and laying down fiberglass that could help my husband get over what we've realized is a "fear of fiberglassing?"

We didn't know he was afraid of the chemicals until he'd bought all the products he's likely to need, has gloves, long sleeves, goggles, and new filters for an industrial respirator, but came home with even bigger and more expensive filters and even then--delayed. Delayed? Simply didn't get started.

He has yet to try patching even the tiniest spot of fiberglassing, and we have at least 31 holes, large and small, to get filled before we can proceed to other things...

Anyone else afraid of fiberglassing? He's watched at least 11 tutorials online about it, including ones referenced here, and keeps saying, "Oh, OK, NOW I see!" but he just won't start.

Any help? Words of encouragement?

Would shaming or a whip help? I've tried bribes, but the man is iron-clad integrity-filled; that $20 I was waving at him didn't cut any ice at all!

Thanks!

(In his defense, I admit he finally taped over the biggest, lowest holes so the mice don't get in. But that's not "quite" the right thing.)

My first go at fiberglassing was this summer. I was also pretty hesitant on how to get my feet wet.

I eventually used a 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup to mix. I used bondo resin. I started with 2 oz of resin in the cup and added 20 drops of catalyst (10 drops/ 1 oz of resin). Can't dilly dally I found out when applying it so don't mix too much. Also use latex gloves it's real sticky stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondo-422-Fibe.../dp/B000BO7CVK

I also found using a 1" cheap plastic bristle brush from the dollar store (not foam) worked pretty good along with some fiberglass cloth.

For cleaning up I used Lacquer Thinner and reused my brush too.

Tell your husbands everyone makes mistakes and they are the best teacher I believe.
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #31

Registry
ANNOUNCEMENT:

23 HOLES TO GO!

THE RESIN HAS LANDED!

He filled in a big "thin spot" under where a plywood seam will be, where a 2x4 will rest as a support--somehow it was sort of "sanded" thin, you could see through it. All patched now.

And he filled a 4 x 6 area on a wall, he had taped outside (mice prevention) so just cut some waxed paper and stuck it to the inside of the tape, then began to wet it with resin and layer mat and resin and cloth and resin and mat over it. He brought in a small ceramic heater (it's about 42 degrees out today) and also my hair dryer, has latex gloves, his dust mask, long sleeves, etc...

The first patch hardened nicely after a couple hours, and for some reaosn, is quite shiny. Is shiny good? since it'll be covered entirely, he's not going to smooth it; it's already pretty flat. The cloth gave him no problem at all so far.

Anyway,

TWENTY-THREE HOLES TO GO!

I've seldom been so delighted. Seems funny, and yet somehow it makes perfect sense.

THANKS AGAIN!

ps Yes, he said it's much easier than he had feared.
I think he's actually enjoying it. And why not?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #32

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Very enjoyable posts and entertaining. For small repairs I always use west epoxy because it's ability to bond to existing GRP (glass reinforced plastic) is much better than bondo or polyester resin, which can fail to adhere to existing GRP especially the gel coat.

Go for IT

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #33

Registry
Hi, Garbonz, thanks! 8)

Sunny and cold--he's out working on it again today. All patches so far are cured and solid...so far, so good.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #34

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I love working with fibreglass. One of the most forgiving materials. If you put too much on, grind it off. If you grind off too much, put more on. Repeat as necessary.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #35

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Very enjoyable posts and entertaining. For small repairs I always use west epoxy because it's ability to bond to existing GRP (glass reinforced plastic) is much better than bondo or polyester resin, which can fail to adhere to existing GRP especially the gel coat.

Go for IT

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

These trailers are not made of what is commonly known as GRP, which makes it confusing for people and makes them think they need epoxy, which they don't. Fiberglass Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #36

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
These trailers are not made of what is commonly known as GRP, which makes it confusing for people and makes them think they need epoxy, which they don't. Fiberglass Dave
Well count me in as confused then. They are made of fiberglass and resin, be it epoxy, vinyl ester or polyester. I thought that was the definition of GRP and FRP?
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
GRP & FRP Glass reinforced plastic & Fiber reinforced plastic.
This is a very basic representation.

GRP uses glass fiber as reinforcement

FRP uses fiber as reinforcement AS in natural fibers and man made fibers.
Cotton, polyester, Kevlar, Carbon Fiber within a multitude of other options.

All are composites. all can be milled or chopped fibers, strand fibers and woven or engineered fabrics.

Composites can be of any construction be it the many blends of polyester type resin blends, epoxy blends or other type of binding materials. strength is achieved on how well it sticks to the fibers used and how well it retains shape and or sticks to other structures.

Just like concrete without reinforcement the base material it is weak without the reinforcement inside.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #38

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
GRP & FRP Glass reinforced plastic & Fiber reinforced plastic.
This is a very basic representation.

GRP uses glass fiber as reinforcement

FRP uses fiber as reinforcement AS in natural fibers and man made fibers.
Cotton, polyester, Kevlar, Carbon Fiber within a multitude of other options.

All are composites. all can be milled or chopped fibers, strand fibers and woven or engineered fabrics.

Composites can be of any construction be it the many blends of polyester type resin blends, epoxy blends or other type of binding materials. strength is achieved on how well it sticks to the fibers used and how well it retains shape and or sticks to other structures.

Just like concrete without reinforcement the base material it is weak without the reinforcement inside.

Yes to all the above and the problem with using these RP initials and all the other RP's that there are is that it groups all composites into an unknown label and therefore must be repaired with the only known repair material which will work with most anything...Epoxy. This is not the case with our FIBERGLASS trailers...we know the composite and the correct repair is cheap and doable by most anyone. Sorry, nothing personal, but I jump in on this sort of thing all the time because just the inference of epoxy scares the normal guy away from making a repair on his trailer that was made before the origination of the terms now being used.
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #39

Registry
UPDATE AS OF THURSDAY, 11 19 2015

21 fiberglass holes to fill
21 fiberglass holes!
Mix the resin and cram it right in...
20 fiberglass holes to fill!

MOVING ALONG! Resin is curing in 40 degree weather! Yaay!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #40

Registry
EVEN BIGGER UPDATE:

He's halfway done with the TOILET HOLE! The mother of all leaks! The possible original weak place in our shell back when whoever added it thought it was such a great idea, and whatever supposed "expert" "sealed" it with a metal ring and silicone (utterly useless). That hole really baffled him...it was cut through a curved/bent area of the shell floor. Now, after only a little experience, he happily lifted the trailer and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned away ALL the old horribly ineffective silicone (we sure hope so!) taped it shut from below, then put waxed paper on the part of the sticky tape that showed through to the inside, and proceeded. This time he used ONLY mat, no cloth. He probably won't buy cloth again, but has used up nearly all the cloth fellow RV'ers gave him when they looked at the shell.

He's finding out he has all kinds of tools that work well, grinders, sanders, cutters...and has lost his fear of touching the old fiberglass, is ready to cut it away where it needs it, is willing to wait for a cure to set before laying in more...

Really nice to see a man using his own tool!

Wait--that sounds wrong, somehow.

Anyway, very happy here!

Updates to come.