Feedback - potential purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Feedback - potential purchase

Hi All - I feel comfortable asking as I got to know many of you while I overhauled my 17' boler.

What do you think of this trailer? It is a Dolphin. There is so little info available.

It is in great shape, but I am wondering if you experts can offer any advise that I should consider before I purchase. This is specific to this trailer.
IE - I know the buyers checklist.

Thanks folks!!

Dawn
Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #2

pics

Here are the photos. I wish I could see more but I will have to go and see it in person.

I like the layout. The bunk is the like ones in the surfsides where the bunk is suspended not propped up by posts.

I like that it has the slight pitch to the roof, great for tall folks.

I like that it is clean looking!

Thoughts?

I notice there is no battery or propane. So that will be an expense.

Also, I will have to get a grey water tank, as it is missing from the unit, although all the plumbing is there...

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nice looking. If it fits your needs/wants/budget... then go for it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #4

I got it!! Now I have a new trailer to decorate!

1) It has only an icebox and no fridge, so I will have to change.
2) Also, there is no furnace. I am wondering about putting one in.
3) It also only has one water tank, grey water, although it's plumbed for two.
4) No battery! Geez - I have a bit of buying to do!!
5) But it's like brand new! It smells great and is very fresh inside and out!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Wow! Congratulations! What a find, and everything needed will be easy to add over time. It looks like you could go camping in it as is for now! Our first little Burro had an ice box and no frig, we just used it for storing dry food and used a regular cooler for cold stuff. Be sure when installing a heater, and a frig, all the connections are tight and tested and there's no propane leaks - that's my only bit of advice, but you know that already.

Have fun!

Penney

PS Curious - what year? I'm guessing late 70s???

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #6

Thanks girls! Mostly what interests me about this trailer is that it is small. It's light and manageable for me. My big 17' boler is daunting as a newbie. So I am going to use this to take to some music shows this summer and get accustomed to it.

It is a great skeleton to work from. Very clean and I like that! I am considering having some of the cabinets rebuilt. They seem a little flimsy compared to the boler, but it's such a simple little thing, I don't see that being too difficult for a trained craftsman.

Then I have to get a fridge and furnace, fantastic fan, battery and propane tanks!! Lots really! This is a great start, but there is lots to add and mod.

That's the fun part though!!

I will post pics!

Thanks again for your encouragement.

Dawn
Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #7

Oh, and it's 1984. It sat unused in storage for 18 years, then was given to the person I bought it from, and he used it only a few times.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
rox

Name: Rox
Trailer: 13' Ventura + Honda Element
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn S View Post
Oh, and it's 1984. It sat unused in storage for 18 years, then was given to the person I bought it from, and he used it only a few times.
Nice buy Dawn, I was going to go look at the same trailer. It looked super clean, nice buy. What are you going to do with your Boler?
rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #9

It's pretty nice. I want to get some of the cabinets remade though, they are bit lightweight.

I am seeking a craftsman. I will do a post for it. Also, I need to put a fridge in it and I'm contemplating a furnace. And I need a fantastic fan too. AND I need to replace the door. So, the fiberglass is great, and the layout is awesome, but I need to put some cash into it.

Thanks for asking!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
What is the frame construction? It looks like a single, curved square tube coming from below to the hitch. Before adding too much weight make sure the frame/floor can handle the extra weight.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
WOW ! looks Great , very clean . The fibreglass looks like new. Is it a 14 ft, looks longer than smaller boler . Did you sell your 17 ft boler or are you starting a collection? Take care
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox View Post
Nice buy Dawn, I was going to go look at the same trailer. It looked super clean, nice buy. What are you going to do with your Boler?

I am going to sell my boler!

Dawn
Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
WOW ! looks Great , very clean . The fibreglass looks like new. Is it a 14 ft, looks longer than smaller boler . Did you sell your 17 ft boler or are you starting a collection? Take care
Thank you Ken. The size is good. I feel a bit of mixed emotions because I wanted a Trillium, Boler or Surfside. But this trailer was so clean and new that it tempted me into action. I thought it would give me a good chance to see what it is like to function in a small trailer. And get used to towing. I have never used my boler. My hubby isn't interested in it and I am too intimidated to take it on myself.

So this little trailer is a chance for me to try it on a smaller scale, learn to tow and back up and operate etc...

I am excited about it. I hope I love it!

Dawn
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Its beautiful. Great buy! As far as the flimsy cab's - remember that just b'cause they flex, they may not be as flimsy as you think (fiberglass is pretty tough stuff). And they are part of the reason that this trailer is lightweight. The more wood you add, the heavier the trailer gets. Could they possibly just need some selective reinforcing? What new colors are you planning for the interior? Have Fun!! I love my little dollhouse!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote