FGRV Newbie - Some Questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hi, As the title says I'm new to the whole FGRV experience so new in fact that I don't even have a RV yet! However I am going to look at a 1998 Scamp 13' this weekend (a basic model , not many extras w/ the front bunks) they're asking a little under 5k for it Question #1: Is it a good price for a basic '98 Scamp in good condition? I don't know? Question #2: If I end up getting it I'll be using a Honda Element to pull it... If I can? The spec's say I should be able to but I'm not sure about the real world implementation any advice? Question 3#: I going to have to install a hitch on my Element spec's indicate I could probably get a way with a Class I hitch with also matches up with the Element's limited towing capacity but would I be better off and safer moving up to a class III hitch? I have no idea as I've been hitchless for a long time!

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

Eric

Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Eric,

I can't answer your pricing question, but I can answer your Element question (As can MANY others on this board)

I towed a 1450lb Burro with my 2wd Element for a long time, and I had a class 1 hitch.

Altho I was within the limits, I was squeaking by with the class 1 and wish I had done a class 3.

Mine was an EX automatic, and I had a tranny cooler installed as well.

You will do fine, with brakes on the trailer. Does this one have them?

Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #3

Thanks Gina for the very quick and helpful reply! I don't believe the traler has brakes hopefully that won't be too much of a problem (I don't think Scamp offered brakes as an option on the 13'). I'm glad to hear that the Element did okay and I will take youe advice and go with the Class III hitch.

If I could take this opportunity to add a Question #3.5 for any Scamp owners:

What's the difference between the 4 prong and 7 prong trailer wire harness? Would the average 13' Scamp have a 4 prong?

Thanks Again! So far so good!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
The 4-prong goes straight up and down and the 7 prong goes in a circle.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
More connections basically. If there are brakes and charger wire, etc. My 81 Scamp had brakes and I believe Scamp adds them as an option on 13's if you want them. Scamp installed a 6 or 7 pin connector from what I've read, but mine had been changed to a 4-pin with extra wires jury rigged. I got rid of that and put a 7 pin back on.

I'm sure some of the gang will expound further, as I've reached the limit of what I wanted to know about connectors and it seems to work at the present.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Four-prong (aka Flat 4) has only lights (brake, left turn, right turn and ground).

Seven-prong has all of the above, plus brakes, battery recharge and undesignated auxilliary (usually used for backup lights).

The seven is actually the most common, so if you will have brakes or want to recharge your battery, that will be the one to install. You can get adapters for one type to another (just the lights will work in most cases) at WallyMart and auto parts places (Get a handful from Wally and return the ones you don't need).

Eggs sell fast, so if you want this one, don't hesitate for long or it will be gone.

Brakes are indeed an option on the 13' and I believe the Element's towing capacity is presumed to have trailer brakes in use (Consult your owner's manual on this). Brakes can be retrofitted to a stock Scamp axle.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
The Element towing limit does not specify brakes are required.

I got the Class III hitch at UHaul and I recommend it, for both the more common 2" size for wide availability of parts, and, more importantly, because it looks better!

I towed my Scamp 13' for 22,000 miles with our 2003 Element, averaging 17.6 MPG. Great tow vehicle.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Hi, As the title says I'm new to the whole FGRV experience so new in fact that I don't even have a RV yet! However I am going to look at a 1998 Scamp 13' this weekend (a basic model , not many extras w/ the front bunks) they're asking a little under 5k for it Question #1: Is it a good price for a basic '98 Scamp in good condition? I don't know? Question #2: If I end up getting it I'll be using a Honda Element to pull it... If I can? The spec's say I should be able to but I'm not sure about the real world implementation any advice? Question 3#: I going to have to install a hitch on my Element spec's indicate I could probably get a way with a Class I hitch with also matches up with the Element's limited towing capacity but would I be better off and safer moving up to a class III hitch? I have no idea as I've been hitchless for a long time!

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

Eric
Hi Eric,
I have a 2006 AWD Element and just bought a 13' Uhaul trailer (RV trailer, not the moving-style box rental)-- only a few trips to date, but it's towed very nicely. I made the decision that I could tow with my Element after reading extensively on the Element owner's online forum & this FGRV site. There's tons of good advice to be found here about brakes, weight distribution in the vehicle and the trailer, reducing the overall load, etc.. I learned to remove the back seats (80~ pounds!), not to tow with a full water tank, and all sorts of other tips that it would take years to accumulate via experience. For me, anyway

I have a Class III hitch, and I highly recommend it over a Class I. It's just beefier. My trailer doesn't have brakes, and to install them, I'll have to replace the axle -- that's not true with Scamps, from what I understand, so that's a nice advantage, and something to consider when thinking about the cost. Good luck with the shopping!
Julia
Old 06-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #8

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
HI,
We LOVE our Element-Scamp combo. Good gas mileage, easy to tow. We don't have brakes on our Scamp, and don't feel they are necessary. Our Honda has a manual transmission, maybe that makes a difference?
Have fun, Marjie
Old 06-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #9

I'm really overwhelmed by how helpful you have all been... Thank you very much!

Based on what I've read here, I went ahead and bought the 13' Scamp (don't have it yet, I need to get my hitch installed!) kind of weird considering today was the first time I had ever set foot in any type of RV.

I gave the Scamp a good "going over", well as good as a FGRV novice can do and I came up with many more questions... Some Scamp related some just general RV related.

I don't want to break any forum protocols, so I was wondering if there was a general RV or Scamp related FAQ on this site, I haven't run across one yet but I haven't looked too hard.

Either way I will have some newbie questions Part II very soon. Thanks again for the help and the friendly welcome!

Eric in NC
Old 06-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #10

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I was wondering if there was a general RV or Scamp related FAQ on this site, I haven't run across one yet but I haven't looked too hard.
Congratultions Eric!

There's isn't a particular place designated for Scamp's alone...just about any question or problem would also related to other brands. My suggestion is to post a new topic when you have a question. However, you also need to know FiberglassRV has a powerful search engine and with a bit of searching you MAY find answers to, at least, some of your questions.

Once again, congratulations and we'd love to some pictures
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Congratulations! A good decision as you can sell it for nearly what you paid for it (or more!) in the future and very quickly!

Scamp owners hang out here too: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scampers/