Fiber Stream Remodel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream
I write this so that anyone buying a trailer, especially a used one, should be aware of some issues I've found. Generally I have found that if a unit is well built it will be that way throughout. If you find something sloppy then keep looking, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that everything else will be that way too. Caveat Emptor!!!!

We purchased a used Fiber Stream trailer a few months ago and were told that everything was in good working condition. Well we decided to replace the refrigerator since it was not in good shape. As it turned out it wouldn't run on propane. The old refrigerator wasn't as deep as the new ones so the cabinet has to be rebuilt to accommodate the new unit. The water heater doesn't work either.

One thing led to another and so now we are fully engaged in remodeling almost the entire interior. What we have found is the the quality of construction, much to our disappointment, leaves a lot to be desired. I can't believe that a company would build something so shabbily, especially since it would not have taken much more to do it right.

Some of the thing that we have encountered:

Refrigerator didn't run on propane.

The faucets leaked.

Many burned out light bulbs.

The sub-flooring is only 3/8" plywood, it should be 3/4".

The plumbing was not routed very well with a lot of rigid piping where flexible lines should have been used to minimize noise transmissions, i.e., rigid connections between the water pump and the water heater and tank.

The pump didn't work and was screwed down to the floor. It has been replaced and is now setting on polyurethane foam with flexible lines on both the input and outlet.

The bunks surfaces were made with 1/8" Luan mahogany plywood, very weak and they sag even though I don't weigh a tremendous amount (168 Lbs). Additionally the frame had come loose from it's mountings. They are being completely rebuilt from scratch using 1/2" plywood on top.

The worst problem is the electrical wiring which was running all over the place in a very unstructured manor with taps or splices everywhere you looked. The color coding was also all screwed up. With AC black is the color for the 'hot' line and white is neutral. On DC circuits red is the positive and black is supposed to be negative. I have noticed trailer manufacturers are all over the map on this one. In our trailer the negative DC lines are sometimes black and sometimes white and some of the AC hot lines ae black ant two are blue. Operationally speaking this shouldn't be a problem until you have to repair something.

Lights were not wired correctly, the backup lights come on when the brake pedal is pressed.

Some of the side marker lights don't work.

There are other issues and probably some I haven't found yet, but the net result is a lot of work. It will probably end up being the most expensive Fiber Stream in existance.
Peter & Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Caveat Emptor!!!!

[b]One thing led to another and so now we are fully engaged in remodeling almost the entire interior. What we have found is the the quality of construction, much to our disappointment, leaves a lot to be desired. I can't believe that a company would build something so shabbily, especially since it would not have taken much more to do it right.
I feel your pain. I consider myself to be very fortunate that most of my 30 year old equipment is functioning, yet I am painfully aware of the discrepancies when compared to a new trailer. I made a conscious decision to live with mine mostly as is, rather than to dive into the structural deficiencies, which might require a frame-off total rebuild.

Oh, how far we've come since 1975... or 1986, when the Fiber Stream company went out of business. From my discussions with an owner who bought her trailer new from the manufacturer and still owns it, The Fiber Stream Company was very small; basically a one man operation, with a couple of hired hands, whose wife ran the business office. Their focus was to make a feature packed trailer that was very light, hence the compromises to quality.

You bring up a very important point about people who consider buying used must be educated on the risks.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Peter& Carolyn... Boler Et Al...were no different!!! If the task could be done by one person single handed it probably was!!! For instance their ground for the tail lights consisted of bareing the wire and wraping it around the mounting screw...nothing to hold it there but thin air. I feel your pain but if you do things right it will subside.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Refrigerator didn't run on propane.

The faucets leaked.

Many burned out light bulbs.
Just a question, what did you try to get the refer to run on propane? My gas barbecue typically won't fire up in the spring due to spider webs. There's all kinds of suggestions we can give you to try, before dumping the unit in the trash. It's interesting, usually we get the "runs on propane, but not electricity or 12-volt" questions.

Faucets that leak and burned out light bulbs aren't just RV problems, the same problems occur in my stick built home. I would expect light bulbs to burn out and the kitchen faucet to develop a leak in my 20 year old Scamp. These are maintenance issues, not a problem with manufacturing.

We have a strong presence of Fiber Stream owners here on FiberglassRV, you'll get plenty of information assistance and some "yeah mine too."

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe / 2006 Tundra V8
Did you not look at the camper before purchase? Some of these problems were easily identifiable. You had the option of not purchasing if the camper was not up to your expectations.
Brenda Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream