Fiberglass cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2003, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fiberglass cabinets

Just curious if others have painted their fiberglass cabinets or left them as is? How does the paint seem to hold up?

I am using a 2 tone paint scheme in the trailer. I have the walls painted the lighter colour and I am thinking of either painting the cabinet doors the darker tone and leaving the fiberglass as is (off white/yellowish), or painting the fiberglass the darker tone and painting the doors the lighter tone.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:09 PM   #2

Hi lainey
I just tried painting my cabinets in 13ft Boler after I made repair.The paint I used for test purpose was just plain ole white fast dry spray.It seems to be ok.I will paint latter on using a spray on gloss,Most likely a marine / fiberglass paint.See my Post on A project begins.:wave Photos there.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 PM   #3

Thanks Ches, yes I saw your photos - everything is looking to be shaping up nicely. :)
My General Paint dealer has a "great primer that will bite into the fiberglass" or so I'm told - they are recommending that product for the exterior, but I am thinking of using it on the interior cabs too. They say it will even prime sheet glass for lasting paint, so might be worth a try.
I am just not sure if painting is the way to go. I'm not too concerned about restoration to original, but I don't want to be to far off from it (and I also don't want to create a future maintenance problem)

Old 07-07-2003, 09:23 PM   #4

Painting cabinets

I have just painted my cabinets with melamine paint. They look good but I won't know for a while how they will stand up. My sister painted her arborite countertop with it and then a coat of polyurethane and it has stood up well for several years now. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:31 PM   #5

Painting F/g Cabinets

:wave
Here is my vote for melamine paint also My paint adviser at Holme Depot says the solvents are mixed to slightly soften the fiberglass surface to gain better adhesion. A neighbor patched ,then used Melamine paint on an old f/g rowboat, and it still looks good after a couple of summers use.
Cheers

Old 07-07-2003, 09:33 PM   #6

Hi All
I used melimaine paint in my 17ft boler and really like it.I find it is standing up real well.Its a good paint.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:09 PM   #7

OK, Leaning towards melamine

Old 07-08-2003, 05:03 AM   #8

Primer

Lainey - I'd be interested to know more about the primer. Brand? Did they suggest a paint or was it just the primer?

Also, is the melamine paint available at home improvement strores (i.e., Home Depot)? Can it be used on the outside as well? Or is that for interior only?

On the inside, I'd be concerned about chipping and scratching. Especially on the inside cabinets ... course, everyone's probably not as clumsy as I am. :o

On the outside I wonder if it would hold up to waxing and the sun?

Old 07-08-2003, 05:48 AM   #9

Melamine paint

This is the product designed for use in changing colors of arborite type countertops. It seems durable, as Buddy used it on his boat, but any paint that is tinted I think might fade out eventually. Oh well nothing is forever.
Cheers

Old 07-08-2003, 06:19 AM   #10

Interlux paints are designed to be painted on fiberglass. It's a marine paint that is intended to put up with a harsh salty environment and still look terrific. In a previous life, I've painted a dozen boats with Interlux Brightside and they always came out looking beautiful and the shine lasts forever. For this reason, I painted the interior and exterior of my Boler with Interlux. The counter top looks like brand new fiberglass and gelcoat. The paint flowed beautifully and I can see my face in the reflection... I managed to get a couple of runs in inconspicuous spots which I haven't tackled yet but all in all, it's holding up well. Cleans up well too.

I think Canadian Tire sells it if you're in Canada and there's no marine stores near you.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:56 AM   #11

Interlux

I have heard some good things about Interlux Brightside. Thanks for letting us in on your personal experience with it.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:48 PM   #12

Suz - The primer is called Plastic Primer by General Paint. It is interior/exterior for use on wood, metals, fiberglass, cermamics, etc. This could be used with any latex or oil based product over top, perhaps the Interlux marine paint.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:05 PM   #13

Thanks! :wink