Fiberglass camper... Advice needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Playpac
ME
Fiberglass camper... Advice needed

Hi Everyone,
So I purchased a old fiberglass camper trailer mainly for the under frame. I knew nothing about the trailer, but Once I got it home I began to research it. This is where I find out its a Playpac camper and apparently pretty rare. My intentions were to trash the shell and use the frame. Now I'm torn on what to do. personally have no interest in restoring it. I just want the frame for my own tiny camper build. As for the condition, it is just a gutted shell, the roof is sagging, has no windows, holes in the sides from screws drilled to board up the windows, the floor is bad. There is a few things like the window frames seem to be good, 1/2 door frame, it has the roof vents, but I think they aren't great. Anyways, in my research i couldn't find any parts anywhere, so this sounds like it would be an impossible restoration.
I listed it on some websites for sale, but I'm hesitant to sell it, because I don't think anybody that inquired about it is interested in restoring it.

What should I do? Sell it in hopes it gets restored or keep it for the frame and make a sweet tiny camper?
Also, if I do get rid of the shell, in going to strip it totally of all the metal that is left on it and sell it to someone who may need it for a more complete restore.

Thanks
Jfrancoeur73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try to find someone that will restore it, best bet if they already have one or have done one.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrancoeur73 View Post

What should I do?
Joe,

Welcome to the forum!

If you are inclined, you could post a classified here on this site and also on https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/.

These two sites would expose it to an audience that might include someone who would like to restore it.

Here's one that apparently was restored and just sold. Apparently they are very rare.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pac-80842.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
It would hafta be pretty bad before I tossed it away...they're too hard to find cheaply. Post some pics here of it and maybe people will give you ideas.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Would be great if you posted pics. I am sure most of us have never seen one.

Mark
Old 08-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Joe, you can find frames a lot of places for a build and they don't have to be from under an existing TT. Lil Snoozy's are built on galvie boat trailer frames. This TT is pretty rare and should be offered up for someone to bring it back to life. If you were to do a bit of searching on this site you'll find a few TTs that were brought back from some pretty major accidents. Being gutted and the problems you state are minor in comparison. Post it for sale, you may even make a few bucks .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fiberglass camper... Advice needed

I agree. The shell is the most valuable part of the unit, but it won't be nearly as saleable for a restoration without a frame under it. The issues you describe with the shell are pretty typical and very fixable.

I'm actually a little surprised the frame is still good. They often rust out long before the shell needs major repair.

Without photos I wouldn't suggest a figure, but gutted shells typically go for anywhere from $500 to around $2500. I'm guessing you could have a brand new custom frame built for $1000-1500.

It seems a shame to consign this classic to the parts bin just for a 40 year old frame.

Thought about fixing it up yourself? Lots of good information on this forum, including how to repair fiberglass. Molded fiberglass shells make for compact, lightweight, roomy, and leak-resistant camping trailers. Aside from building in some support for that sagging roof, you can do pretty much anything you want with the interior.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #8

ME
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_195430.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	110630Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_195958.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	110631Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_195417.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	110632Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_195405.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	110633Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_195350.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	110634
Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

ME
So here are some pics. I would love to restore it, but like the windows and doors look like they would be impossible to replace.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree the door is a big problem. That would take someone with fiberglass mold-making skills and possibly access to a door. Windows could be managed, but they won't be cheap.

This is definitely on the low end as far as project shells go, and your location will make finding a buyer more difficult. Curious what others think...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #11

ME
I had 400 dollar offer on it, but they wanted me to deliver it 2 hrs and have paperwork to go with the trailer. The delivery isn't a big deal, but I have no paperwork what so ever. What paper work are they referring to. The only thing I could offer is a bill of sale.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrancoeur73 View Post
I had 400 dollar offer on it, but they wanted me to deliver it 2 hrs and have paperwork to go with the trailer. The delivery isn't a big deal, but I have no paperwork what so ever. What paper work are they referring to. The only thing I could offer is a bill of sale.
Joe,

That's one offer; I don't believe I've ever gotten two offers that were exactly the same when I sold something.

Posting here on the classifieds section and on the Fiberglass-RV-4Sale site might bring in a buck and even some sense of satisfaction as it's apparently one of only 75 ever built.

It's yours to decide. I expect a couple of weeks, a month at the maximum, would tell the tale if you are willing to give it that.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
I would hesitate offering delivery......

If it meant they were buying sight unseen.

The buyer may balk when they see it.

Given its rarity i would place an ad here and on craigslist and let it have a chance to live on and make someone happy.

There are lots of trashed pop up campers that could provide the frame you need that are much newer than 40 years old.

Good luck!
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #15

ME
I will list it on here....any ideas what this is worth as is? Or should I put lights on it and a little money into it before selling it?