Fiberglass Crack Repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am concidering purchasing this trailer. What kind of cracks are these on the driver's side of this 1995 Bigfoot 21 side gaucho? They are only along one wall. Would these cracks require repair by a professional? How much $$ would they cost?

in the 4th photo, what kind of crack is this near the LP tank? Is it less serious than the cracks in the driver's side wall.
Thanks
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Picture_034.jpg   Picture_036.jpg  

Picture_035.jpg   Picture_033.jpg  

Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
What you have there are commonly referred to as spider cracks. They look to only be in the gelcoat and not an issue, structurally speaking. Although those are pretty serious as far as this spiders go. Could even flake/peel soon.

Unless you're handy with FG, resins, & gel, this type of repair is best left to a pro. A daring and ambitious weekend warrior could try to tackle this on their own, but it probably won't look too pretty.

The last crack might also be spidering, but looks to me like it could be a crack in the shell glass itself. Tough call from just a photo. Go inside and have a look at the other side of that wall to be sure. If so, it's actually a pretty easy fix but should be attended to immediately. If left alone they can get much bigger and compound other potential problems, namely leakage and strength.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Angelo,

Thanks for the speedy responce. The trailer is located many hours away. So, it will not be possible to inspect it closer from the inside. Judging from what I know of the trailer floorplan and the position of the vents on the exterior wall, I guess that oven/stove is located on the inside of the wall where the spider cracks are located. Could the oven have gotten too hot and caused the cracks?

Any estimate on the cost of the repair?

Thanks
Jay
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I suppose anything is possible, but I really doubt it is cracked from heat. There would be some deformity along with it. It probably took a good whack with a spare tire, jack handle, or propane tank being loaded/unloaded at some point. Less than $20 to patch on your own (from the inside) and have it plenty strong and watertight.

Really no idea on the cosmetic repair stuff. You'd have to talk to a boat builder or the like.

Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote