Fiberglass Cutting and Cleanest Tool to Use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Tracey
Trailer: Boler 13'
British Columbia
Registry
Fiberglass Cutting and Cleanest Tool to Use

I would like to cut down another inch of my boler closet fiberglass behind the door without removing the cabinet. Which would be the best and cleanest tools to use and type of blade. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks
spacey_tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
A multi tool, Harbor Freight sells a cheap one. I use the half round blade or you can use a a metal cutting type blade. Hold a Shop Vac hose next to the blade while cutting to capture most of the dust.
Eddie
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=multi%20tool
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The absolute cleanest cut and maximum control comes from using a Dremel 565 Mulit-Purpose Cutting Kit 565D. Amazon Sells them.
I was totally amazed at how easy it was to control and how smooth a cut it made.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Jigsaw
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Jigsaw
I've tried a jigsaw, it seems to want to chip out on the edges, even with a metal cutting blade. I've used the oscillating type tool that Eddie suggested with very good success, providing a really clean cut, easy to control. Haven't tried the attachment for a Dremel tool that Byron suggested but it looks like it might work cleanly also, similar to a roto-zip tool for cutting electrical boxes in drywall.

My 2 cents!

Spanke
Old 07-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I used a angle grinder for any fiberglass mods I have made. Use masking tape as a guide and it goes real easy.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
A multi tool, Harbor Freight sells a cheap one. I use the half round blade or you can use a a metal cutting type blade. Hold a Shop Vac hose next to the blade while cutting to capture most of the dust.
Eddie
Search results for: 'multi tool'
Yesterday I cut a hole for a storage compartment access door under the dining seat on a Casita I'm refurbishing for sale.
I've cut many holes in fiberglass with the above tool.
It's a very clean cut.
I don't make a habit of buying H F electrical tools but for the limited use it gets I don't see the necessity for buying a more expensive tool.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
I've tried a jigsaw, it seems to want to chip out on the edges, even with a metal cutting blade. I've used the oscillating type tool that Eddie suggested with very good success, providing a really clean cut, easy to control. Haven't tried the attachment for a Dremel tool that Byron suggested but it looks like it might work cleanly also, similar to a roto-zip tool for cutting electrical boxes in drywall.

My 2 cents!

Spanke

I purchased and used that tool to cut a hole in bench to mount a propane detector. Looking at what Scamp and what I did will make a firm believer of you. The edges are perfectly smooth. There is no chipping at all. The only draw back is there's a lot of fine dust created. I was worried about control and cutting a line drawn with a sharpie. The control was great, no tendency to wander. I really surprised that none of you discovered this tool and how easy it is to use.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I just happen to own the finest oscillating tool extent, the Fein. And I used it, once, to cut a hole in my Scamp. After that experience I have used a jigsaw each time hence. The Fein worked superbly but was painfully slow and created a ton of very fine dust. The jigsaw, with suitable blade, works great and is quick and controllable. I also have the HF oscillating tool and can say that it is a best buy for what they get for it. I have it as a “loaner” or to have out on the job because I am not taking my eyes off my Fein.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 1983 scamp 13
Florida
Any of these tools will work but you will want a carbide grit blade to cut with. It will cut the best with little effort and last.
firebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you are going to use a jig saw get a fine tooth "up cut" blade. Normally jigsaw blade the teeth are angled to cut on the down stroke, up cut they are angled to cut on the up stroke. On the up stroke the blade is pulling into the shoe which cuts vibration and chatter way down.

Cutting through masking tape will help control splintering and chipping, some masking or duct tape on the jig saw shoe to keep it from scratching surface is also good. I would think the same for the dremal tool foot.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Air powered die grinder with a thin cutoff disc
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0155.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The absolute cleanest cut and maximum control comes from using a Dremel 565 Mulit-Purpose Cutting Kit 565D. Amazon Sells them.
I was totally amazed at how easy it was to control and how smooth a cut it made.

That won't cut a strait line without some sort of guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 PM   #14

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If you are going to use a jig saw get a fine tooth "up cut" blade. Normally jigsaw blade the teeth are angled to cut on the down stroke, up cut they are angled to cut on the up stroke. On the up stroke the blade is pulling into the shoe which cuts vibration and chatter way down.

Cutting through masking tape will help control splintering and chipping, some masking or duct tape on the jig saw shoe to keep it from scratching surface is also good. I would think the same for the dremal tool foot.

I second that.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The easiest way to make a strait and sharpest cut is to use a grinder with a diamond tile cutting blade and then use a multi function tool on the corners .i have found this to be the best combination
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #16

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
The easiest way to make a strait and sharpest cut is to use a grinder with a diamond tile cutting blade and then use a multi function tool on the corners .i have found this to be the best combination

Grinders are fast and easy but extremely messy. They out dust everywhere. An environmental suit with hood, goggles, gloves and a high quality mask is almost mandatory. For extended work a mask with a outside at supply and oil less compressor is the best choice. Googles get so dirty you can't see also.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #17

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
I just cut an 18x18 inch hole in my scamp. What I used was a jigsaw with a carbide grit blade I picked up at harbor freight. All the big box stores have them. Clean cut with no chips and hardly any dust.

2-3/4 in. U-shank Carbide Grit Jigsaw Blades 3 Pc
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
That won't cut a strait line without some sort of guide.

I had zero problems following a straight line. The control was the best of any cutting tool without a physical guide. The cut off type of tool is hard to correct if needed.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #19

Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Roger, I am not sure if are thinking about some other kind of saw blade but all of the jigsaw (and reciprocating saw) blades I have ever seen are made with the teeth angled back toward the foot ("up cut" in your description). You are correct that a blade with the teeth pointed away would be a miserable outfit to try and cut something with.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #20

Name: Tracey
Trailer: Boler 13'
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks guys. Great suggestions!!
spacey_tracey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler