Fiberglass damage and dry rot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Hi! I haven't been active here the last little while, but the job you have ahead of you is going to be very gratifying when it's done. One comment, the top and bottom exterior stripped bolt holes remind me of a broken away awning. If you are not going to put back what was there before, just glass over it. However, if you want to mount something (such as an awning), I recommend the following.

Fiberglass in a piece of good quality 3/4" plywood on the inside, at least twice as wide and twice as tall as the external item bracket. By good quality I mean essentially void free, such as baltic birch.

Re-drill the bolt holes.

Install a t-nut on the back of the plywood for secure support.

Don't worry, we've all been there at one time or another!

Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #16
Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Wear a mask, goggles, and long sleeves! There is a ton of fiberglass repair info on the internet.

Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
I've just recently had to replace the awning on our foot. I did as was previously mentioned, put a peice of baltic birch plywood on the inside of the trailer and I also used a standoff bracket on the outside to spread the load over a slightly larger area. When the awning was attached, the bolts were long enough to go through the awning holes, the brackets, the double walls of the trailer and the baltic birch ply as well as a large fender washer that was put on before the lock washer and nut.

I'll go out and take a couple of pics and post them shortly,

jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #18
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
Thanks guys!!

Paul- can't wait to see your pictures!

Andrea in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote