Fiberglass floors? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
Hi--

Does anyone know which, if any, fiberglass trailers are made with a fiberglass floor, rather than wood? I've become very, very allergic to wood rot in recent years, and it seems that all wood floors eventually go that way. I had to sell my beautiful 1961 Shasta b/c of all the wood in it (even though it had no visible leaks or damage), and am looking to join the wonderful world of fiberglass RVs! Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Leslie L.
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, my 74 Boler 13' for one, has the glass floor.......too bad it isn`t white instead of the brown color, or I could really make a neat disco floor with colored lights underneath, LOL.......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
UHaul and Burro have a wood floor that's encased in fiberglass. I believe that Casita and Trillium are as well.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Surfside's have wood with fiberglass underneath. The fiberglass part has areas or dips on the sides for the water to run into and stay away from the wood to keep it dry. I can't say the wood is encased in fiberglass.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The two glass trailers I've had were very different with very different outcomes:

'72 Boler American: Floor was plain-old plywood (no glass or resin above or below). Floor had two small (by small I mean maybe 2 inches in diameter) soft spots which I just glassed over before laying tile.

'72 PlayPac: Floor was plywood encased above and below with fiberglass. Body had the above mentioned water gutters around the perimeter. Trailer had clearly leaked previously, gutters weren't vented and lacked drain holes. The result is that the gutters and glass encasing the floor had retained moisture and ENCOURAGED fungal growth (ie rot). Required a major (about 6x3 feet) section of floor to be replaced.

As such - I'm not strongly convinced that the glassed-in floors will prevent any and all future problems. The glass BODY is very leak-resistant however which serves to keep the floor dry.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
hello and welcome leslie,

sorry about your allergies!! i have lots too.

i was thinking about your problem and it sort of reminded me of something i saw just recently here. the original post was about how to fasten things to fiberglass without damaging it. anyway, someone posted a link to a place in florida where they manufacture plastic sheets for vertical dividers used in boats. i read all about the various things they make and it seems to me that you might be able to replace a floor made of plywood with one of these plastics.

does that sound reasonable to anyone else? the stuff comes in 4x8 sheets like plywood and various thicknesses. is it a good idea?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi again, hope I answered your question correctly, considering the different answers....my 13' Boler floor is fiberglass only...no wood.....about the only major wood used on the trailer is a treated piece that the water tank sits on under the trailer.....and a few other small pieces imbedded in the resin and used to mount bunk hinges and other areas where they had to mount "stuff" with screws......at night the floor can be lit up from underneath with a flash light ....same as the body of the trailer would if there wasn`t any Ensolite.....nothing to rot.. ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My 1979 Boler B1700 has a wood (only) floor, which is in good shape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
My 1976 13' Boler has a fiberglass floor - no plywood at all. It is the model manufactered by Neonex industries, Boler division. Cheers, Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Hi--

Does anyone know which, if any, fiberglass trailers are made with a fiberglass floor, rather than wood? I've become very, very allergic to wood rot in recent years, and it seems that all wood floors eventually go that way. I had to sell my beautiful 1961 Shasta b/c of all the wood in it (even though it had no visible leaks or damage), and am looking to join the wonderful world of fiberglass RVs! Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Leslie L.

Wow! I'm floored by all the responses! What a great group! Thank you all so much. Now it's time to start shopping!

--Leslie
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Both of my Trillium's have had fiberglass floors as well as fiberglass bottems.
They use plywood in between to re-enforce the floor.

You can see this construction when looking into one of the underseat storage areas as they do not have the interior fiberglass,just the exterior one.

This construction gives a seamless fiberglass bottem on the outside and sort of a "bathtub" floor on the inside.

Good Luck
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Wow! I'm floored by all the responses! What a great group! Thank you all so much. Now it's time to start shopping!

--Leslie
Hi Leslie: both the Escape and the Casita are tatally enclosed fibreglass eggs. I believe they both have internal wooden floors but no wood exposed to the outside. The Escape has drain holes in designed low points to drain off any moisture from leaks, spills or excessive condensation.

Happy shopping

Ian W.

!7' Escape
Ian Waymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I don't seem to be alergic to wood rot, but the mold is a different story.

In chasing down the reason for my discomfort, one major problem area was the flooring where a previous owner had glued down vinyl floor covering. He did a good job and it looked real nice, but it trapped the moisture.

After removing the flooring, I cleaned and treated the plywod with anti-mold stuff (TSP and sodium hypochlorite). Then I just used a latex floor enamel. It will never look nice, like some of the floor treatments pictured in various places on this site, but it is the best for me.

The reason I used the latex floor enamel was because it 'breathes' slightly. An anti-mold additive can also be used in the paint.

Good luck with your problem.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 73 Boler
73 13 foot boler. Glass floor.

Pretty flexy , can use it as a diving board.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote