Fiberglass instead of ensolite... need opinions!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Fiberglass instead of ensolite... need opinions!!!

Contemplating removing the ensolite from my 1974 Trill and replacing it with a few layers of fibreglass. Would solve the problems of not having T-Band and anchors etc. and the ripped and torn Ensolite. Might also address the slight roof sag with the extra support the interior fibreglass might offer.... I don't believe the ensolite provides much in the way of insulation anyhow.... anybody have any experience or thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eric.
Eric MacMullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Eric, The general consensus is, if you can save it Ensolite is difficult to beat. With only 1/4" thickness, you are correct that it doesn't offer much insulation. It is really just to keep the condensation down. The current alternative is reflectix covered by rat fur.
The World’s Largest Manufacturer of Reflective Insulation and Radiant Barrier Products
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #3

Thx for the info! I'm also considering just foam insulation, then painting it... It's frustrating that the same type of Ensolite is so difficult to get a hold of.

Eric.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
One consideration is the possibility of fire. The ensolite while it will burn doesn't burn like Styrofoam insulation does.
I have some scraps of ensolite I cut out of my Scamp for the cabinet work and I think I might do some comparison tests to see how each burns. Perhaps a video?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #5

Alberta
Registry
I'd try that test with some fibreglass. I suspect, once burning, that stuff burns good.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric MacMullin View Post
Thx for the info! I'm also considering just foam insulation, then painting it... It's frustrating that the same type of Ensolite is so difficult to get a hold of.

Eric.
Elephant skin is hard to find, but if you Google ensolite, you will find that the foam is not hard to find. After you get it up, a roller and some vinyl based paint should help it look like the orignal.

Many have repaired their ensolite.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Eric..
As Eric is already aware.. I too am in the throws of restoring a 1975 Trillium 1300 and I would support not removing the ensolite and replacing it with more layres of fiberglass.. Like you I have noted the lack of structural strength of the ceiling - yup it is pretty floppy.. To bring back some structure I removed the original 8x8 roof vent and installed a full sized roof vent.. The strength of the roof was enhanced due to the fact that I had to construct a wooden flange to secure the new vent to.. This flange has increased the ceiling stablility greatly.. In addition I am in the process of installing simple wooden cabinets that start at the right side of the door, go over above the front window and then connect back and around to the original cabinets above the stove.. One of the reasons that I initiated the project was to compensate for the condition of the ensolite around the windows.. And if someone will tell with me how to add pics to this email I would be pleased to share them with you to give you some ideas ;-)
Old 05-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #8

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Opps.. I meant to say .. As David is already aware.. ;-)
Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #9

I'm aware now :-)

Thx for the pointers. I had neglected to clear snow off Goliath (my 1300 Trill) during the worst snow storm of last winter, and it resulted in some cracks in the ceiling, which has contributed to the need for increased structural integrity. I might use some fibreglass to reinforce the roof along the two side struts (the level area on either wide of the hump) then go a head with foam and painting as David had suggested.

Chris if you email me your pics, I can post them for you. macmullin@gmail.com

I've attached a pic of the weekend the damage took place, and just to prove that I am 100% trailer trash, I've included my 1974 Airstream as well. (Goliath is a 74 also!).

Eric.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #10

Oops, wrong pics, those are from the previous winter. Imagine what you see plus another 4 feet of snow on top! The Airstream was unfazed, but poor Goliath didn't manage it too well.....
Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

Attaching a pic

Chris, it's really easy to attach pics, if you post or reply, just click on the little icon that looks like a paperclip (see the attached sample below), then your computer should prompt you to find the pic(s) you want to include. Don't forget to click 'upload" or your pics won't end up attached!!! Ignore all the 'tag' stuff etc, once you have identified and uploaded the pics, close the 'attachment' window. Once you upload your post or reply, the pics should be there. Check out the pics below, should show the steps....
Attached Thumbnails
1attachingapic.jpg   attaching pic b.jpg  

attaching a pic c.jpg  
Old 05-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

I'd attach the video to YouTube also, I'm interested to see your results!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
To see the paper clip icon, you first have to click on Go Advanced, right next to Post
Quick Reply.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #14

David, would you have any recommendations for the currently available Ensolite? I'm never sure of how well it will apply around corners etc, I saw some type of Ensolite at home depot but it was far too rigid for what I'd want.

Thx! Eric.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Eric, since I have no experience with the stuff, I don't have any recommendations. Ensolite is a brand name. If it is not black, it is not Ensolite. You can get the black stuff still. I assume it is as stretchy as the Ensolite our trailers came with, but I really don't know.