Fiberglass Issue - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Boler
Posts: 15
Fiberglass Issue

I removed the tarp from my Boler and was a little horrified at what I found, over the winter the snow had caved in the roof, after pushing the roof up, I found these issues and now need to repair this before vacation (1 month time) does anyone have any suggestions??
Attached Thumbnails
front2 (Medium).jpg   front3 (Medium).jpg  

back2 (Medium).jpg   back3 (Medium).jpg  

__________________

__________________
Peter Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
If you don't know how to work with fiberglass and you have the money, take it to a boat repair shop that works on fiberglass boats.

Bill K


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bond View Post
I removed the tarp from my Boler and was a little horrified at what I found, over the winter the snow had caved in the roof, after pushing the roof up, I found these issues and now need to repair this before vacation (1 month time) does anyone have any suggestions??
__________________

__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Boler
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
If you don't know how to work with fiberglass and you have the money, take it to a boat repair shop that works on fiberglass boats.

Bill K
I have worked with fiberglass a little but i am worried about the structural integrity because of it being in the corner.
__________________
Peter Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
Peter....
Sure hope someone can point you in the right direction as i am not a fiberglass guy but it looks like it should be fixable without too much problem.
This is the first year that i made a "T" out of 2x4's contoured to the roof about half way from front to back to hold up the roof inside to protect from just that. Took me all of twenty minutes to make it and sure gave me peace of mind when the heavy snows came as previous years gave me a fear of exactly what happened to you.
I had other glass work done and brought it to a local corvette repair guy whofixed it easily. you might also try a boat place or look up fiberglass repair in the yellow pages.... The crack i had in my fiberglass was about as large as yours and cost me $100 to fix but i didn't need any gel coat repair as it was not seen from outside.
Joe
__________________
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Boler
Posts: 15
Well I really wanted to do is a complete work over on the whole trailer but not this soon(Time and Money).
there isn't any boat repair facility in my area and the labour cost for body shops are outrageous in the Caribou.

I guess I will be cleaning out my shop soooo, any other thoughts?
__________________
Peter Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
I googled "fiberglass repair video" and hopefully one of these will help.
Joe

fiberglass repair video - Google Search
__________________
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
I just spent the last three hours watching the videos i recommended to you and my fiber-glassing abilities confidence went way up as i also did some minor (very minor) fiberglass work.
Joe
__________________
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
Two part epoxy maybe or J B Weld.
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Perhaps you could call Al-Ky or Jack Marina and ask them if they know someone local who does fiberglass repair.
__________________
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Boler
Posts: 15
Yes I watched a couple of video's and they look good.
Guess I will start on it Monday and see what happens.
Thanks for all the advice
__________________
Peter Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Posts: 229
Hi Peter
You have a little bit of a problem there , but being on a corner it is the strongest area of the fibreglass . I am no expert but what I would do is first remove your insulation from inside around the damaged area. You have a few large cracks but are there spider cracks around the main damage? Clean down to the glass and then sand with 40 g paper .Then cut the glass matt [[ 1 1/2 or 2 oz matt ]] just larger than the holes first 2 inches bigger than 4inches . last put on one layer that will cover all damage including spider cracks. You will have to apply this with the smaller pieces because of the corner. You should get a small fibreglass roller to remove the air it will make the repair stronger if you do. the inside is now done . Sand down a little and reinstall insulation .You can now attack the out side { with the hole repaired from inside it will keep the trailer cleaner } Grind down the crack to get all loose and damaged glass removed. Sand area with 40 g paper apply matt over damaged same as inside . A little bondo a paint and all is well

Hope this help
__________________
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Boler
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
Hi Peter
You have a little bit of a problem there , but being on a corner it is the strongest area of the fibreglass . I am no expert but what I would do is first remove your insulation from inside around the damaged area. You have a few large cracks but are there spider cracks around the main damage? Clean down to the glass and then sand with 40 g paper .Then cut the glass matt [[ 1 1/2 or 2 oz matt ]] just larger than the holes first 2 inches bigger than 4inches . last put on one layer that will cover all damage including spider cracks. You will have to apply this with the smaller pieces because of the corner. You should get a small fibreglass roller to remove the air it will make the repair stronger if you do. the inside is now done . Sand down a little and reinstall insulation .You can now attack the out side { with the hole repaired from inside it will keep the trailer cleaner } Grind down the crack to get all loose and damaged glass removed. Sand area with 40 g paper apply matt over damaged same as inside . A little bondo a paint and all is well

Hope this help
That's what I figured, thanks for confirming it. I guess I will get to get everything ready for a nice paint job.... now need to think of a nice color.<_<
__________________

__________________
Peter Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring Issue Lawrence W Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 12-17-2010 09:19 AM
A/C Issue Georgana D Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 8 07-28-2010 01:09 AM
TV Braking Issue Tamid Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 04-14-2009 06:11 PM
carpeting issue... Rarebird Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 12-04-2006 06:34 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.