Fiberglass oxidation removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: George Boy
Arizona
Fiberglass oxidation removal

Hi everyone, very new to this site, was hoping someone out there has any suggestions for removing oxidation off fiberglass caps?

Thank you all in advance

David
Davidinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
David, welcome to the FGRV forum family. Are you referring to the "snap caps" that trailers like Scamp uses? As far as I know those are plastic, so removing the oxidation would be futile, as they get very weak and break. They are very cheap to replace and all you need to do is pry the cap off at the very edge so as not to damage the plastic cup that they slide over. I have seen various sizes in various colors, even chrome, at a local hardware store. Scamp parts department also sells them.
Fellow Arizonan
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi David

Let's start over by you filling in your trailer's profile if it is a trailer and what are you calling a "Cap"?

If it's a fiberglass trailer and it has oxidation a lot depends on the age of the trailer and condition of the gel coat, the top layer that makes it shine, on the trailer.
The Gel Coat suffers when exposed to UV rays from the sun especially the Arizona sun.

What to do depends a lot on how bad it is. Solutions go from a good washing with Dawn dish soap followed by a marine wax. Marine polish and wax to the extreme where the gel coat is gone. For that some when the gel coat is gone, myself included, have had very good results using various brands of Acrylic floor finish. Here's the first link google found for me.
https://rvrenovation.wordpress.com/2...one-info-only/

But if your gel coat is still there as some have found out the floor finish will peel. So determining the condition of your trailer's gel coat is step one.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Minnesota
Registry
I washed with blue Dawn, used Meguiar's Diamond Cut compound, scrubbed in with a Scotch Brite sponge, then a random orbital buffer, on this Burro. It had Lichens growing on the roof, and tons of those "ghost stains" all over. Those stains came out, but some of the rust stains below the windows are still visible.
Next time, I'll order up the 3M Marine Compound, as it has a larger grit, and should cut faster.
Next will be two coats of automotive paste wax.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170206_181907978.jpg   IMG_20170206_175130870.jpg  

Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good call, Joe! "Cap" can mean a lot of things…

I'm guessing now, based on the updated profile description of the trailer as a "George Boy" that this is a Georgie Boy motorhome with a molded fiberglass end cap?

My initial recommendation would be a 3-stage marine fiberglass restoration system, like this one: Meguiar's M4965 Fiberglass Restoration System. 3M makes a similar product.

As noted in the previous post there are grittier polishing compounds for badly oxidized surfaces. Since gelcoat is very thin, I would start with the gentlest product and move up only if necessary. Up to this year, I have only used a gentle cleaning with Barkeeper's Friend followed by an automotive paste wax. This year I am stepping up to the Meguiar's kit.

Just an FYI, though- this website is specifically focused on all-molded fiberglass trailers and fifth wheels. These are self-supporting, all-fiberglass shells, aka "egg" trailers. Around here, "caps" are little plastic covers over the rivets on some makes, including my Scamp…LOL! There might be issues we don't know about, or better methods for your type of RV. I would recommend you also post this question on a general RV forum, such as www.irv2.com

Best wishes from another Arizonan (White Mountains)!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
You're getting very good advice. The Barkeepers buff and Zep (acrylic floor finish) treatment has worked well for me. All that I could add is that I've had good luck removing rust marks with a paste made of lemon juice and Borax. You have to keep the area wet and let it soak and it takes some patience but may save using more harsh methods.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I wash my unit with a solution of dish detergent in water and a soft bristle brush. I've used an automotive paste wax to restore the shine. This has worked well for my Corvette, which doesn't get very dirty and is always garaged but not so well for my trailer.
I'm a boondocker. Dust from gravel roads accumulates on my trailer. When it rains this dust accumulates in the water drops and then "bakes" to my trailer. They can be very difficult to remove. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove them without using an abrasive? How about a wax or polish to restore the finish? Thanks.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Barkeepers Friend is a very mild scouring powder. It is advertised for use on fiberglass. I make a thin paste with water before applying it to my trailer.

If there's anything milder that is effective on the black streaks mine seems to get, I'm all ears!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #9

Alberta
Thanks Jon, I'll try that.
Cheers!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #10

Trailer: George Boy
Arizona
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, sounds like Barkeepers is the way to go, along with Zep, read a lot of good reviews about it.

My apologies for posting on this site, didn't realize this was for trailers only.
Davidinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
No need to apologize, David. The name of the forum doesn't make the distinction very clear. In any case, you got some good information and you're welcome to hang out here. You may end up catching the all-molded bug! I saw a picture recently of a large Class A pulling a little egg trailer behind. It was a mother-in-law's apartment, I believe.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Fiberglass Oxidation Removal

In addition to all of the other great advise given, I want to echo about Bartenders Friend doing an excellent job removing oxidation from fiberglass. My wife and I used that on our 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe followed by 8 coats of Polly Glow. That project was a huge success making our trailer nice and clean and shiny and it is holding up very well after quite a few months and is so much easier to wash. I believe you are suppose to remove with Bartenders Friend and reapply 8 coasts annually, but it is holding up so well I don't yet know if we will need to do it again that soon. It was so easy to do that we are NOT dreading doing it again because it drys so fast and is so easy to do. You do a small area, move over and apply the Polly Glow and by that time the first spot is ready for another coat. We just go around the whole trailer with us side by side and before you know it you are done and very PROUD of your work.
Perry Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #13

Name: Francis
Trailer: 13' Scamp, soon 2019 17' Casita
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You may end up catching the all-molded bug!
That's how we caught the bug coming here looking for information and ended up having to buy one. We love it.

I will have to give it a go our camper is not bad but a cleaning and wax will help for the new season. (Our first)

FXMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #14

Alberta
Another project. I guess that's the price you pay for owning a trailer.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Oregon
I have used ZEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidinaz View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, sounds like Barkeepers is the way to go, along with Zep, read a lot of good reviews about it.

My apologies for posting on this site, didn't realize this was for trailers only.
When I put three coats on the sides of the trailer I had some runs, be careful as those runs don't come off. The top got only one coat and still looks good. I have been advised to get a buffing compound to use on the sides, then use a auto wax and follow up with Gel Gloss.
Kathaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Minnesota
Registry
After consulting with the boat guys, and the Corvette guys, I'm a believer in the basic 3 step process, touted by 3M and Meguiar's, among others. These folks have been at this fiberglass game a lot longer than the late comers on the RV side.
Fiberglass compound for heavy oxidation, Fiberglass polish to restore the gelcoat finish, and automotive paste wax for final shine and UV protection.
The consensus among them seems to be that floor wax should never be used. It offers a quick and easy shine, but when it fails, and it will, it's more of a problem, than a solution.
This is the results of my research, others may have opinions which differ.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #17

Alberta
I would have to agree with Real 550A. This is what I have done in the past with success. UV is the basis of the problem and automotive/marine wax provides the UV protection needed. Thanks for your research and for sharing.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:34 AM   #18

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I use some polishing compound and little elbow grease to cover up the job. Apply the polishing agent with a non-scratch kitchen sponge. After that, I wipe the haze off with dry clean cloth for revealing the shiny surface. And make sure to top this clean surface with RV grade or quality marine wax. Use a clean, dry cloth for applying the wax and then give it time to dry to a haze. Once done, polish if off for that final shine.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #19

mexico
This is by far the best oxidation remover I have ever used! This McKee’s 37 Marine & RV MKRV-520 Heavy Cut Oxidation Remover works better than I hoped. We have a travel trailer, and every other year it seems I have to work hard to remove the oxidation, which usually involves a lot of rubbing and white dust. This is my first time using Max's RV heavy cut oxidation remover and it is a GREAT product. No white dust, easy on and fairly easy off. Just one swipe of the fluid using a rug instantly reveals a good result.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:30 AM   #20

mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
This is by far the best oxidation remover I have ever used! This McKee’s 37 Marine & RV MKRV-520 Heavy Cut Oxidation Remover works better than I hoped. We have a travel trailer, and every other year it seems I have to work hard to remove the oxidation, which usually involves a lot of rubbing and white dust. This is my first time using Max's RV heavy cut oxidation remover and it is a GREAT product. No white dust, easy on and fairly easy off. Just one swipe of the fluid using a rug instantly reveals a good result.
After taking a closer look at all of its features, I can say that McKee’s 37 Marine & RV Oxidation Remover is a phenomenal product. It is easy and safe to use, and heavy-duty. In addition, it reduces scratch significantly and has a long-lasting buff cycle. If you need to get the most efficient oxidation remover, this one from McKee’s will not disappoint you.