Fiberglass reinforcement needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Oregon
Fiberglass reinforcement needed?

As I was winterizing our 2011 Trillium 1300 a few weeks back, I noticed something curious in the port rear storage bay: sunlight glowing through the fiberglass in a couple of spots near the corner, each about the size of a softball.

Understand, these are not holes in the hull, just places where the fiberglass apparently is thin enough for direct sunlight to create a glow. Manufacturing defect, I guess. There are no irregularities on the outside at all.

Question: Should I take steps to reinforce those spots on the inside, using fiberglass fabric and resin or some other method? Or is my concern -- that the slightest tap on those thin areas will leave a gaping hole -- unfounded?

Thanks!

Z
mzuzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
I wouldn't worry about it. Fiberglass is GLASS, and fairly clear resin. It's actually rather amazing how much light can come through and yet it still is strong enough.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
I was at first surprised by the same, being totally new to anything towed, but accepted it as a fact of life. Scamp (as much as I know) is made by spraying up chopped fiber and resin into a mold. The amount is controlled by the operator and it may all be thicker in flat straight sections, less so in various corners where three walls may stiffen one another. I believe they know what they are doing, having been at it for a long time.

Related observation: I found that the storage cubby holes never get dark during the day - I thought I could use one of those puck lights (Auto Sensor Super Bright Rite Lite Battery Powered LED Puck Light (Set of 3) Rite Lite LED Puck Lighting - Buy It Now!) that come on when the door opens, but it was on all the time! It never got dark enough for it to turn itself off. I still use one of them, but have to turn it on myself.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I doubt you have a fiberglass issue. More likely the gel-coat was sprayed too thing before laying up the fiberglass and resin. Gel-coat is sprayed into the mold first to give the fiberglass and resin shell more durability to weather and to prevent UV degradation. If its sprayed too thin or worn down to much from polishing you can get these see through highlights.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I thought I could use one of those puck lights (Auto Sensor Super Bright Rite Lite Battery Powered LED Puck Light (Set of 3) Rite Lite LED Puck Lighting - Buy It Now!) that come on when the door opens, but it was on all the time! It never got dark enough for it to turn itself off. I still use one of them, but have to turn it on myself.
Lining the cubby hole with reflective bubble wrap insulation would solve the light issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #6

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have the same issue in my 2012 scamp 13. Attributed it simply to thinner areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Well.... as long as it doesn't compromise any structural integrity, especially in this bitterly cold weather.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My 2010 Trillium is the same. After 5 seasons it has not been an issue. One of the few things that hasn't . At some point they started lining the storage compartments with the same material found in the closet. I've considered spraying mine with a coating to eliminate the fiberglass splinters but it's nice to have the light. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Mike, from responces it seems as it's not really anything to worry about. Have you seen any of the threads of folks doing a full on resto with nothing but the bare FG inside with sunlight on the outside ? Light spots all over coming through the shell. Never heard of a problem with it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Oregon
Thanks to all of you for your advice and reassurance. I'm sure I can find another trailer-related issue to fret about!

Z
mzuzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I wonder if this might be another application for that "Homemade Prepreg" that I mentioned in an earlier "You Can Repair Fiberglass" thread?

"For repairs in recessed areas, tight corners, and/or overhead repairs, the section on Homemade PrePreg (in a plastic bag of all things ) might be of some interest?

[URL="http://bcove.me/s6bztad7"]<font color="#0066cc">http://bcove.me/s6bztad7 "

I think that using fiberglass mat inside the heavy duty freezer bag should work as well as a couple of layers of bi-directional (bid) fiberglass cloth (weave) and it could/should be a lot less messy to saturate your mat and apply the patch/reinforcement without getting the resin all
over yourself? (I haven't actually worked with mat instead of bid cloth, so ... YMMV. )

If you use this method with mat, maybe you could let me/us know how it works out?)

If you decide that spot really needs attention (I.e. reinforcement), it's just a thought. 😊

Good luck!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
If it is just thin gelcoat allowing the light penetration and the bright spot
bothers you, then you could obviously just add some additional exterior
gelcoat.

If you decide the fiberglass shell is actually thinner in those spots and
that concerns you, then these were the two previous fiberglass repair
threads that I'd mentioned:

You Can Repair Fiberglass

Fiberglass repair

As always .... YMMV.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote