Fiberglass Repair - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Trailer: Acorn 13 ft (1979)
Can anyone recommend a product for repairing a small tear in the fiberglass, near the bumper on my Scamp (Acorn)? Preferably a product with good instructions. It looks like someone bottomed out the trailer, and the bottom of the shell snagged on the ground, leaving about a one-foot jagged tear. Hope I didn't do that.

Thanks for your input.

mwinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Here are some sites with info...

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Trailer: Acorn 13 ft (1979)
Thank you, Mike.

mwinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I've used the kit from West Marine... It has good instructions.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Before I had my trailer raised the last time, I caught my plumbing on a rather bad dip going into a parking lot. I didn't realize it until I got home, but I left an entire section of plumbing somewhere. It also caused it to crack the fiberglass in a few places where the shower drain came through the floor. Repairing it underneath was a little messy, but it was easier than the other repairs I've made because I didn't have to add gel coat to make it pretty.

I roughed up and cleaned the area, then repaired it with several layers of fiberglass soaked cloth. That was several years ago and it has held up well. IMHO, the hard part of fiberglass repair is the gel coat on the areas that show. I have done that as well and it came out okay, but I sure couldn't tell anyone how to do it. It takes me forever.

If yours is underneath as mine was, then you shouldn't have any problem. Other than fiberglassing my hair to the bricks I was laying on and ... well, lets just say that I recommend long sleeves and goggles when you're work overhead.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote