Fiberglass repair - gelcoat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Fiberglass repair - gelcoat

I'm going to look at a 1973 Boler tonight that has some damage around the wheel (backside of camper) I'm wondering how difficult this will be to repair given I'd like to keep the original green gelcoat finish. Anyone with experience...advice?

How much $ should this affect the value? They are asking $3800...a bit of door sag, frame good but not reinforced, original cushion covers new foam, stove works, furnace replaced with larger one, fridge does not - looks good from the photos but we'll see tonight.

Thanks so much!
Attached Images

Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Price a little to high for what you described. (If I was buying)
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Trying to match gelcoat colors is very difficult, unless the gelcoat is very new and you can get some of the original material. Even trying to match white gelcoat, you will find that each manufacture has a slightly different color, and there are many colors of white. Also you find that the rate the new gelcoat changes color as it ages, will be different than the orginial gelcoat.

Sometime it is a lot easier to paint the whole section and live with it.

Hope this help
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's not just how much it may be worth, but how much it would be worth to YOU to own it. Is it within your budget? Does it have the features you need? When was the last time you saw one for sale (within) driving distance that was comparible?

BTW: it already looks like an axle replacement is in the near future....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #5

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's not just how much it may be worth, but how much it would be worth to YOU to own it. Is it within your budget? Does it have the features you need? When was the last time you saw one for sale (within) driving distance that was comparible?

BTW: it already looks like an axle replacement is in the near future....

Please excuse my ignorance Donna - but what makes you know the axle will need replaced?
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Please excuse my ignorance Donna - but what makes you know the axle will need replaced?
I am guessing that we are looking at an original Axle in your photo. Any 38 year old Boler Axle is going to be at or quite past, the end of It's life. Essintialy these torsion axles use rubber bands as the spring. You get a low profile, with a very smooth ride. But they do have a much shorter life span than a conventional leaf spring affair. So To quote Wallas - "The bounce is gone from his bungee!" I think Donna picked up on the fact that the tire is sitting low in the wheel well. Unfortunately I am also just learning the In & Outs of older torsion axles .... The hard way!
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
You need 2"-3" above the top of the tire for clearance.
That axle looks very low.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Melanie, the easiest way is the "fist" test. Put your fist on top of the tire. The top of the wheel well should clear it. I'm thinking if you look inside the wheel well you may very well see some scraps (on this trailer). Replacing an axle may NOT be a deal breaker. It wasn't for me when I bought my trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You can also check by looking at the original boler specs. If memory serves me right a boler is 6' 11" high on the outside, with a head clearance inside of 6' 1". That leaves about 10", allow for the materials of the roof and floor, the bottom of the kitchen floor should be about 9" off the ground when the trailer is level.

Then again, somebody may have previously swapped the axle thinking the "chopped" or lowered look, was desirable.

Noticing that you are in Halifax, I presume there are a lot of marina's around. Maybe you could ask one of them about the fiberglass repairs to get an idea.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Wouldnt the stock axle use 4 lug wheels?That is a 5 lug wheel so it may have already been replaced at some time in the past.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Melanie - IMHO you may want to start with doing a real good cut polishing on the trailer to get the oxidation off it to see what colour it comes out at before doing the repair and attempting to match the colour. 3M has a couple of really good marine products one is called Restore & Wax which you will find at most marine supply shops - actual at Candian Tire & Walmart carry it here as well. It will take off the oxidations. Best to us a power buffer with a compound pad which is wool as it will do better job of it than trying to do by hand with micro cloths. Once you have done that call around to some of the docks and see if some does repairs and if you can haul it down to them to have them help you with the match.

Re the axle - there are a *lot* of boler's being hauled around these parts sitting as low as yours is - it should be ok to leave for awhile as long as the axle is not damaged, just stay off rough roads and watch while going over bumps. replace it when you can afford it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote