Fiberstream Window Weep Covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: FiberStream
California
Fiberstream Window Weep Covers

Having lost all but one of my window weep covers, I decided to make some using a 3d printer. The file I created is available here. Feel free to remix it to your requirements.

They seem like they'll work well, but the plastic will probably degrade quickly under UV. It remains to be seen how long they'll last, but there's almost no way it'll be the 33 years that one of the originals lasted.
jmanlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Name: Lise
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Washington
Registry
Whats the purpose of the covers?
lalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Direct drainage from the window frame, keep the weep holes clear, and prevent rain ingress while driving.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Joe, you could use a spray paint made for plastic to protect the plastic from the UV rays.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #5

Name: Lise
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Washington
Registry
thank you Vic, I understand
lalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The printed weep covers look great. If you print them in black ABS plastic they will last much longer as that material and the color black has much greater UV resistance than PLA plastics.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Brilliant!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #8

Name: Joe
Trailer: FiberStream
California
Painting them is a good idea, I was really just planning on printing a bunch of extras, they're only 2 minutes or so a piece and use basically no plastic.

ABS would definitely be more UV resistant, but they have to flex to get into the holes, so I was worried about breakage. Maybe I'll try a couple and see how it works.
jmanlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
weep covers

What about making little awnings for the windows so rain doesn't roll off the roof and into the open windows, making everything inside wet? Casitas are so rounded that rain just pours in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanlove View Post
Having lost all but one of my window weep covers, I decided to make some using a 3d printer. The file I created is available here. Feel free to remix it to your requirements.

They seem like they'll work well, but the plastic will probably degrade quickly under UV. It remains to be seen how long they'll last, but there's almost no way it'll be the 33 years that one of the originals lasted.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanlove View Post
Painting them is a good idea, I was really just planning on printing a bunch of extras, they're only 2 minutes or so a piece and use basically no plastic.

ABS would definitely be more UV resistant, but they have to flex to get into the holes, so I was worried about breakage. Maybe I'll try a couple and see how it works.
I think you could reduce the size and thickness of the detent latches. ABS is quite a bit stronger than PLA. Just as long as it is still wide enough to print properly. Of course Nylon is even better for such things in terms of flexing combined with strength but I don't know what materials you are able to work with. Assuming it is your personal printer versus being printed for you by a company with a wide range of materials to choose from.

I made several replacement weep covers using thin aluminum formed over the edge of a 3/4" thick board. The original weep hole covers on my Sunrader are 3/4" wide. The originals had no detents on them for a clip to latch into. I used Gorilla brand super glue to attach my aluminum replacements. That glue is rubber fortified and works great for bonding metal. Four years later now and they are still holding on tight.

Looking at the original weep hole covers on my Sunrader I realized they had been made with styrene plastic. I still have a few of those left to replace this spring. I do have a 3D printer now and I have used it to make a few window track replacement pieces for my Campster. Those little pieces were also made from styrene plastic. Fortunately I had a couple of damaged ones still partially intact to reverse engineer from. Pretty amazing that any styrene weep hole covers from 1980 actually managed to last this many years but four of them did. But they are in a very fragile state.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Registry
weep hole covers

Does anyone here know of any place that the replacement weep hole covers can be purchased? I have looked around and have not had any luck finding them so far so if anyone has any information let me know. Thanks
canyon Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #12

Name: Randy & Ranae
Trailer: Fiber Stream
OR - Oregon
Registry
Weep hole covers

All,

I have a guy...

I've had replacements printed that work perfectly. Drivin and Vibin were sent a set for their trailer. They are white plastic, and will last longer with some paint. I've had them for two summers with no change in appearance.

Let me know by PM if you'd like a set printed, and I'll work with you to arrange shipping etc.

RnR
OR335d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I had a few hundred weep hole covers that I had bought from Uhaul when they were cleaning out old inventory. They fit the Uhaul windows but not our Casita windows. A friend I sold them to said they plugged up with algae pretty quick. I've heard that comment from others too, and that their real purpose was to reduce wind noise.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #14

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Replaced ours found some big enough with same shape then removed an old unit and checked how it was attached. Ordered closest replacements they needed a trim at snap in area cleaned out drain area using a wire and then glued them to the weep holes. Our Heur units are not supported and exact match was not found on our searches of window supplies. Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR335d View Post
All,

I have a guy...

I've had replacements printed that work perfectly. Drivin and Vibin were sent a set for their trailer. They are white plastic, and will last longer with some paint. I've had them for two summers with no change in appearance.

Let me know by PM if you'd like a set printed, and I'll work with you to arrange shipping etc.

RnR
Great info will remember this solution next time we need replacements

Tags
fiberstream