Fifth wheel Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Janice
Trailer: Scamp
West Virginia
Fifth wheel Scamp

Hello
We have a fifth wheel 2008 Scamp and a Chevie Silverado truck. The problem is very little clearance between the bottom of scamp and truck bed. We had lifts on axle when we purchased it. Any suggestions?
Cenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
How much space do you have? I've been told that 5" is proper for most all situations. If you have less, you have two choices. Lift the trailer more, or lower the truck. I fear that the current styling trend to increase the height of pickup beds will eventually render the Scamp Fiver a useless lawn ornament.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
I had the same problem with my Scamp 5er and my Dodge. My solution was adding a three inch lift on the axle and then going to 15in wheels. Gave me plenty of clearance only bad side was I had to use a step stool to help my vertically challenged wife get in and out.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
How much space do you have? I've been told that 5" is proper for most all situations. If you have less, you have two choices. Lift the trailer more, or lower the truck. I fear that the current styling trend to increase the height of pickup beds will eventually render the Scamp Fiver a useless lawn ornament.
I sure hope I do not see mine become a lawn ornament. Scamp will modify the frame, and maybe even increase the interior height for tall people. I think they could do it without changing the fiberglass molds.

Cenja, do you have the "new" Scamp hitch that allows for height adjustment? Scamp now uses the modified Reese 5th wheel hitch that can be adjusted over several inches in height.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I had the same problem with my GMC and 5er. I had the 3" axle lift, went with ST215/75-14R tires, and added 100lbs to the rear of my truck-bed. The 100lbs was flat steel plates (cut to fit at a machine shop) and resulted in lowering the truck-bed 1". Pros and cons about the plates, but it worked for me as I have my 5" clearance.
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
When I sold my Scamp 5er back in April the people that purchased it showed up in a new Dodge 3/4. It set really high and I didn't know how they would pull it. I towed the unit 3 hours to their guys shop and we took the hitch out and left it with them. I didn't see how a 3 inch lift would help but they wanted to buy it anyway. I figured they had to down size trucks but I never heard from them. I pulled it with a 2012 Colorado Crew cab. I no longer have their number but wish I knew what they ended up doing.

Tags
scamp