Figured out annoying leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I've been trying to figure out an annoying leak over the past months, seemingly coming from the center seam of my Burro's roof. Not a big leak, but a tablespoon or two only during heavy rains. Thought it was due to pinholes in the fiberglass, but as I patched one area the leak would pop up elsewhere. Finally got on the roof today and removed the center ridge trim, that covers the flange for the 2 halves of the trailer. I found that a 2 foot section of flange from one side just wasn't there! Instead there was a large amount of caulk to seal it off. Does not look like damage after manufacture, but rather that section of flange either did not get cast or broke off when separated from the mold. Structurally it's not a problem because the two halves are fiberglassed from the inside. But during heavy rain, water would migrate into the missing flange area and seep along the interior until it found an opening and dripped out. I'm kind of disappointed it wasn't fixed properly at the factory. I'm going to fix it by removing the roof seam trim, clean off all the silicone, and apply Eternabond over the seam, and reattach the trim over that.

Some of the things the manufacturer did really makes me wonder. For instance the furnace vent and hot water heater are screwed directly into the fiberglass without any backing. Then over time, vibration enlarges the screw holes loosening things up and causing leaks. They could have easily framed the opening with wood to give the screws something solid to bite into, which is what I did to fix it.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
This confirms for me the suspicions I've heard that Burro's last ownership, (they moved around) before the company stopped manufacture, were fly-by-night buck chasers.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I found that Boler was no better. Well before their demise it seemed to me to be "Fri. afternoon assembly" . Fifty % of the doors saged...looked like kids cut the holes to install the windows, and the neutral wire for the 12V. tail lights was bared for an inch or so and wraped around the threads of the mounting sheet metal screw w/out connectors. That's why I love my Escape...Excellent workmanship!here
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote