filling in windows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Boler
I've had limited experience with fiberglassing-patching smaller holes and little bodywork projects here and there, but I would like to fill in the window holes on my Boler and re-cut for radiused windows. I know some of you are strict on the vintage look of the jalousies,but the trailer is round and my eye says the windows need radiused corners too. Perhaps I'm a little OCD in this manner.

Any tips on filling the large unsupported voids and keeping the matting flat? Is there a recommended book or link for better glassing? Thanks!
brady hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm visual too. And although my Scamp has the radius windows, I sure wish they were the jalousie style! The big deal is when it rains. You can open the louvers and the rain just runs off. I open the radius windows and the rain runs in.... besides a radius window only opens half the window...

Why is it people always want what they don't have?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
I've had limited experience with fiberglassing-patching smaller holes and little bodywork projects here and there, but I would like to fill in the window holes on my Boler and re-cut for radiused windows. I know some of you are strict on the vintage look of the jalousies,but the trailer is round and my eye says the windows need radiused corners too. Perhaps I'm a little OCD in this manner.

Any tips on filling the large unsupported voids and keeping the matting flat? Is there a recommended book or link for better glassing? Thanks!
I have to agree that they look better, but as Donna said ...

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation in that I may have to go with the newer radius corner windows, because I can't find the replacement jalousie style !! I am missing one window altogether (it was removed for an A/C install) and I would like to find two new ones.

I found this link very informative: http://www.uhaulcamper.com/forum/vie....php?f=1&t=142

If you do go through with it I could be interested in the jalousie windows you take out. Let me know.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
I have to agree that they look better, but as Donna said ...

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation in that I may have to go with the newer radius corner windows, because I can't find the replacement jalousie style !! I am missing one window altogether (it was removed for an A/C install) and I would like to find two new ones.

I found this link very informative: http://www.uhaulcamper.com/forum/vie....php?f=1&t=142

If you do go through with it I could be interested in the jalousie windows you take out. Let me know.
If you're not in too big of a hurry I may be able to work you a deal on my old ones. If the finances look Ok we're going to race this project and hope to be done by the end of June, So I'll know for sureabout the windows long before then.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Lizbeth replaced the rectangle window in her kitchen with a radiused one in her Boler. She could tell you what she did to fill in the corners.

BTW, Her side windows are [b]both radiused AND jalousie.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Lizbeth replaced the rectangle window in her kitchen with a radiused one in her Boler. She could tell you what she did to fill in the corners.

BTW, Her side windows are [b]both radiused AND jalousie.
Thanks, I sent her a PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:

It's impossible to get the uncured resin and matting to stand at attention while it cures. If you are going to just change the corners make up small fiberglass panels on a flat surface, then glass them into the corners. Sort of like welding gussets to a frame. If the goal is to cover the entire window area make a bigger panel.

There was a post on this forum a while back where someone showed how he rounded the corners of a square or rectangular hole on the interior of their unit but I can't find it right now. (Probably a lack of skill on my part in using the search function.) As I remember the post had detailed instructions and pictures.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
It's impossible to get the uncured resin and matting to stand at attention while it cures. If you are going to just change the corners make up small fiberglass panels on a flat surface, then glass them into the corners. Sort of like welding gussets to a frame. If the goal is to cover the entire window area make a bigger panel.

There was a post on this forum a while back where someone showed how he rounded the corners of a square or rectangular hole on the interior of their unit but I can't find it right now. (Probably a lack of skill on my part in using the search function.) As I remember the post had detailed instructions and pictures.

Orlen
I like the gusset idea alot. It would save alot of cost on resin and matting. The whole panel idea is a great one too. I wish I could find the link to that post you describe, but that search function gives me headaches- too broad of results every time I try. The plus side of that is I've learned alot of stuff about these trailers on accident
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
dunno if this'll help but if i am unable to do it the way Orlen described, i'm probably going to gently roll my FG shell onto it's side so i can have a flat surface to work... but my trailer has an inner shell that i hafta deal with, as well...
i have some scrap lexan sheet, i'll cut it to size & attach it to the outer FG shell on the side windows for a flat surface to lay FG/resin...
after replacing my floor, but before i attach it to a new frame/axle, i'mna lay a couple old mattreses next to the trailer & gently tip it over... lay FG/resin, let it cure, roll upright, move mattresses to other side, repeat...
i know it sound goofy, but it'll probably work for me...
--- steven
Attached Thumbnails
steve1_006.jpg  
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
dunno if this'll help but if i am unable to do it the way Orlen described, i'm probably going to gently roll my FG shell onto it's side so i can have a flat surface to work... but my trailer has an inner shell that i hafta deal with, as well...
i have some scrap lexan sheet, i'll cut it to size & attach it to the outer FG shell on the side windows for a flat surface to lay FG/resin...
after replacing my floor, but before i attach it to a new frame/axle, i'mna lay a couple old mattreses next to the trailer & gently tip it over... lay FG/resin, let it cure, roll upright, move mattresses to other side, repeat...
i know it sound goofy, but it'll probably work for me...
--- steven
rather than put the shell on it's side, why not tape a sturdy piece of cardboard to the outside, mat the inside right up the cardboard. The cardboard should take any natural curvatures ov your sidewall. After it sets, peel off the cardboard and sand it down to clean off paper. For a smoother finish, glass the outside next over the mat with a finer weave, sand and bondo. It's a theory anyway.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
I would try Brady's idea, but I'd cover the cardboard with Saran Wrap or wax paper so the cardboard would release from the fiberglass. Better yet, run your ideas past a fiberglass shop and pick their brains.
Another avenue to explore...slightly larger windows.
Wishing you the very best on the completion of your project.
Please continue keeping us posted on the progress!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
If you're not in too big of a hurry I may be able to work you a deal on my old ones. If the finances look Ok we're going to race this project and hope to be done by the end of June, So I'll know for sureabout the windows long before then.
Hi Brady;
Thanks for the offer. I am definitely interested. The speed at which my Boler renovation is going, that might just work out pefectly.
What condition are the jalousies in? And how much do you want for them?
Best,
Clive

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #13

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I did something like this in the PlayPac we had. The original windows were quite a bit larger, but leaked like crazy. I used something similar to the gussetting described above. I used 1/4" plywood to fill most of the space. Glued it into position and then fiberglassed over the whole thing. Any additional space was filled with body putty. Everything was then painted over and the new windows installed.

I think the radius windows look better too - but it's true that they don't give as much ventilation. Course if you install AC into the trailer it doesn't matter much.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
"...There was a post on this forum a while back where someone showed how he rounded the corners of a square or rectangular hole on the interior of their unit but I can't find it right now."

It might not have been my post but here's how I rounded two corners in my closet wall to put in a hatch cover...

Click image for larger version

Name:	hole_with_ears.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	12018
I used Elmers Fiberglass compound to stick two small pieces of fiberglass leftover from the prior owners hatchet job in the closet wall...

Name:	radiusupper.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	12019

I sanded smooth the area and cut my radius(s)...

Name:	almostfinished.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	12020

After that I smoothed and dressed everything and got ready to attach my hatchcover...

Name:	doorinstalled.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	12021

then riveted on the hatch and did some more touch up...

The trick is finding some glass panel to use to fill the corners...you may have to make your own, but thats just a separate job.
I hope this helps...
ConwayBob

Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
"...There was a post on this forum a while back where someone showed how he rounded the corners of a square or rectangular hole on the interior of their unit but I can't find it right now."

It might not have been my post but here's how I rounded two corners in my closet wall to put in a hatch cover...

The trick is finding some glass panel to use to fill the corners...you may have to make your own, but thats just a separate job.
I hope this helps...
ConwayBob

Bingo! That's the post I was referring to.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
To fill the corners you could order a gravel shield from Scamp. I think these are front window cutouts anyway. Scamp might even sell you some cutouts for less than the gravel shield kit. You can then glass in the whole window in and re cut the opening for your desired window.
Lay the cutout against your opening and mark the exact opening size on the cut out. Then cut the panel to fit the opening. Next pop rivet metal flanges covered with wax paper or a release agent to your original window pop rivet holes inside the trailer. Then pop rivet the panel to the metal flanges to fill the opening. After the panel is in place take a grinder and feather both edges and glass the seams on the outside the trailer. Then drill out the rivets and remove the metal plates and repeat the same glass procedure on the inside the trailer. This time glass over and fill the rivet holes on the inside. Then go back to the outside sand smooth and reapply glass again, this time covering the rivet holes from the outside. Then sand the outside smooth again and paint. Then cut out for the new window.
I would suggest you try to find a slightly larger window to over lap the square corner with the radius of the new window this will save a lot of mess, time and work.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #17

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few people on this list that had some fiberglass bits laying around here and there from installing utility doors, vents, AC etc etc...

That's where I'd start. If you wanted to fill the corners with standard wall material that is.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows