Filling water tank. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I like to boondock. We use a lot of campgrounds that do not have hookups. Most of the campgrounds that we do use have potable water, and so we travel with an empty water tank.

Generally, I go to the nearest water spigot with a 7-gallon water container and fill it and take it back to the trailer and use a large funnel to fill the tank. This takes at least four trips, and I'm sure you know how heavy 7 gallons of water are.

What I would like is some kind of pump to transfer the water from the container to the tank. Any suggestions?

Someone at work told me that they have seen a plastic hand pump selling at various places for $1.99. I've also been told that there are some battery-powered pumps.

Whatever will work the best and keep me from having to lift 7-gallon containers of water.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft
We threaded a faucet with a garden hose connector into the cap and connected our water hose to that. As the tailgate of the pickup is higher then the water tank it drained into the tank. Because the gravity method was too slow, we bought a bilge pump in the boat department at Wal-Mart and screwed it into the cap of the seven gallon jug. We used an adapter to adapt the 3/4" pipe threads to garden hose threads. we attached our water hose to the pump, lay the jug on it's side, because the pump is not self priming and turn on the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Bilge_Pump.jpg  
George Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #3

Quote:
We threaded a faucet with a garden hose connector into the cap and connected our water hose to that. As the tailgate of the pickup is higher then the water tank it drained into the tank. Because the gravity method was too slow, we bought a bilge pump in the boat department at Wal-Mart and screwed it into the cap of the seven gallon jug. We used an adapter to adapt the 3/4" pipe threads to garden hose threads. we attached our water hose to the pump, lay the jug on it's side, because the pump is not self priming and turn on the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Bilge_Pump2.jpg   Bilge_Pump3.jpg  

Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #4

That looks like the ticket!

I'll start shopping! Thanks!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
What a great set up, George. The pump is closer to the trailer then the container??

Bob, you need a cart so you don't have to carry it either.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The pump is closer to the trailer then the container??
The pump is attached to the container. The white hose attaches to the pump.
Great Idea! I too, am going shopping!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
A few questions before I hit the store.

Which size bilge pump did you buy? Does the pump just screw directly into the water container (I have the same contrainer)? If not, what kind of adpater do you purchase (part numbers would be a big help, if you have them handy)? How do you power the bilge pump? Battery?

All part numbers or detailed descriptions would be a huge help.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
With a pump to handle the transfer from portable tank to trailer, the remaining area of improvement is getting from the water source to the trailer with less effort. I noticed at WalMart the other day that in addition to the usual cylindrical and more square water jugs, they now have a version with wheels and a folding handle, which looks to me like a perfect match for this requirement.

No lifting because of the pump; no carrying because of the wheels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Great topic!
We've encountered the same problem. A bilge pump is a great solution. Tall thick grass makes a cart useless, but a way 2 people can carry together would make a big difference.
Thanks for reminding us about seeking a solution to a problem which will occur in less than a month.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
A few questions before I hit the store.

Which size bilge pump did you buy? Does the pump just screw directly into the water container (I have the same contrainer)? If not, what kind of adpater do you purchase (part numbers would be a big help, if you have them handy)? How do you power the bilge pump? Battery?

All part numbers or detailed descriptions would be a huge help.

Thanks!
The pump I used is a Model A4240 Attwood A500 Aerator Pump, which screwed into the 3/4" pipe threads in the cap of the blue seven gallon tank. I carry a group 29 extra battery in the back of the pickup and powered the pump with that. I used a toggle switch to turn the pump off and on. The adapter I used is to convert the outlet pipe threads to garden hose threads.
Attached Thumbnails
pump.jpg  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
The pump I used is a Model A4240 Attwood A500 Aerator Pump, which screwed into the 3/4" pipe threads in the cap of the blue seven gallon tank. I carry a group 29 extra battery in the back of the pickup and powered the pump with that. I used a toggle switch to turn the pump off and on. The adapter I used is to convert the outlet pipe threads to garden hose threads.
Another use for the same blue seven gallon tank is to transport the grey water to the dump station. Click on my "Twin Bed" link and check out the seven gallon tote link Be sure to read the "how we did it" instructions on the right
Old 05-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
somebody asked how 2 people could carry weight. how about a log firewood canvas sling? i carry lots of stuff in mine, hardly ever firewood.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I use a slightly less high tech method.

I have 1 gallon jugs. They are easier for me to carry. I pour a couple gallons in my "shower" hot water heater (A giant 5 gallon spaghetti pot) and pump the water in from there with my Coleman Battery powered shower. I simply remove the shower head and stick the tube in the water fill opening.

2 gallons pump in while I am headed back to the water source. It takes a couple trips, but no more time.. and my back is much better off for it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi George, don`t you have a problem disconnecting your drain hose, since your inlet to the tote is at the bottom, when you have the gray water level about equal in the tote and the hose up to the level of the dump valve? Doesn`t seem too simple, without spilling gray water......suppose you have to stand up your tote before you can do that and possibly still have some gray water in the hose.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Since we already have a 5 gallon blue tote like many use for gray water, that is what we've used. It can appear to be quite heavy if carried 300+ feet, particularly if 2 or 3 trips must be made. We wrote "drinking water" in large letters on all sides and have used it for 15 or 20 years.

Potteralice,
A log tote might be just the ticket! It just occurred to me that a 24" 1X3 with a slot across each end might fit through the blue tote's handle and allow 2 of us to carry it.

Thanks one and all for your helpful suggestions!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Hi George, don`t you have a problem disconnecting your drain hose, since your inlet to the tote is at the bottom, when you have the gray water level about equal in the tote and the hose up to the level of the dump valve? Doesn`t seem too simple, without spilling gray water......suppose you have to stand up your tote before you can do that and possibly still have some gray water in the hose.....Benny
Benny,
Your right it is a tight fit. It works best to rotate the drain to the up position, before disconnecting the hose, which gives more clearance.
I should of mentioned, to only fill the tote about half full, so you can disconnect the hose withouot spilling. Four gallons is about all I want to lift into the back of the pickup.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Figured about 1/2- 3/4 full would about be the limit to tilt it up and drain the excess from the hose...thanks...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
I too have grown tired of filling the water tank in our 1984 Casita with a hose and funnel. So after reading about the clever techniques described by the FGRVers in this thread, I also developed an improved method to fill the water tank. First, I fill a 7 gallon portable Reliance tank with about 4 gallons of water (not too heavy to carry from the spigot). Then I use a brand new Jabsco electric drill-pump to transfer the water from the portable tank into the trailer tank. The electric drill-pump is operated by my cordless 18 V drill (which is always handy for repairs and fix-it jobs), and the system works well to transfer all of the water into the trailer tank in a few minutes. I added a 12" section of new flexible 3/8" ID non-toxic Nalgene tubing for the output hose - this allows me to snake it through the curves inside the trailer to minimize spillage due to backflow. I just used the new green tubing that came with the pump as the input hose, but will change it to new Nalgene in the future. The electric drill pump costs about $23 and is available at marine supply stores or at www.outdoorsuperstore.com. I also tried a hand-operated drill (The Hole Thing) as the source of power for the pump, and it worked OK. But cranking the hand drill was tedious so I'm sticking with the cordless drill. Power tools are fantastic!

Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterPump003b.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	3611
Attached Thumbnails
WaterPump002b.jpg  
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:44 AM   #19

Amazing!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #20
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Steve, I'm liking that. I'm liking that a lot.

I wonder if that would work with my little Skil iXO Cordless Palm Size Screwdriver. We have all types of drills around here, but if that small one would work, that would really be a terrific set up.

It should work if the hand drill does. I also carry an old vintage hand drill that I've used in emergencies to drill out rivets.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote