Finding 110 volt stranded wire - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Trailer: Trillium
There is stranded wire available for 110v wiring, but there are a multitude of codes and practices that should be followed if you go that route, everything from protecting the wire to ensuring a ground is pulled to each connection point.
I guess my pont is do it once, do it safe, do it to code. 12 volt wiring can start a fire if not fused right, but it rarely causes shocks or death. 110v wiring done wrong can kill. Be Carefull that's all

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
One of the reasons for the code specifications in household electrical wiring is the rodent protection that is introduced in the sheath that covers the wires.

Extension cords are under a different set of standards and MAY NOT have the chemicals in their coverings as household wiring does.

If you have concerns of rodents entering your camper then it would be prudent to wire in accordance with the electrical code for campers. (The code may not be the same as for a household)
www.nixalite.comAn electric cable assembly and method for protecting an electric cable assembly for rendering the cable repellent to rodent attacks. A non-lethal toxic chemical, such as lithium chloride, which produces lithium ions when dissolved in the saliva of an animal, is incorporated in an electric cable as either a layer within the electric cable assembly around the circumference and along the length of the cable assembly or by providing a coating on the surface of the electric cable assembly by spraying or painting thereon a mixture containing, for example, lithium chloride. A protective layer or coating may be provided around the layer or coating of the lithium ion producing chemical to protect it against moisture or other environmental conditions.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Without a big long write up at this time, I agree with Joe. Some of the advice that has been given is not sound advice, but that is the nature of forums. Makes them interesting, except in this case - maybe dangerous.

The photo you showed of your old wiring was not neat I agree (and I like wire my wires neat), but the connections were in a metal box and the metal box had strain relief nuts on each of the wires entering it. I have seen much worse.

Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote