Finding a product for a backsplash - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #1

Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Hello,

I'd like to paint a scene that has the lines of tiles and such to look like a tiled backsplash. My prefered base to paint on a primed 1/8" board.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could attach this to the wall of the camper, over the ensolite, behind the sink and stove without rivets or screws? I thought about building a little 1"x1" frame that I could attach to the underside of the cabinets and the bottom could rest on the back of the stove. But, do I need to be concerned about the think plywood starting on fire? There is the side on the cabinets that connect the upper and lowers and that's the same product. I haven't burnt that yet.

I also paint on canvas and that's something I could glue to the ensolite, I suppose.
I imagine a glue gun would do the trick on adhering it, no?

Love to hear from y'all.
Thanks!
Gigi

Old 04-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I wouldn't think flames would get back that far to ignite painted plywood unless you spilled bacon grease on the burner or something. In that case, anything including the ensolite foam could ignite.

For something real practical, I am thinking galvanized sheet metal. At the auto parts stores they have those oil drip trays that might be sized to fit there. Most often they have several and you might need to sort through to find one that has no dents or scratches. A good coat of auto wax once in awhile should keep it looking nice.

Just an idea.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gigi,
Another alternative might be the brushed stainless square tiles which can be applied to many firm surfaces. I haven't seen them for sale for awhile, so you may have to hunt a bit. Just don't boil a big pot of water for spaghetti on the back burner. This was done at our church and the flame was spread enough to scorch the wall behind the range top!
Isn't it fun using your imagination to solve your FGRV problems?
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #4

Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Quote:
I wouldn't think flames would get back that far to ignite painted plywood unless you spilled bacon grease on the burner or something. In that case, anything including the ensolite foam could ignite.

For something real practical, I am thinking galvanized sheet metal. At the auto parts stores they have those oil drip trays that might be sized to fit there. Most often they have several and you might need to sort through to find one that has no dents or scratches. A good coat of auto wax once in awhile should keep it looking nice.

Just an idea.
Loren, you may have something there. I've been thinking about priming a piece of sheet metal and then it finally dawned on me, I could do my regular painting on canvas and glue that to the sheet metal! Both the sheet metal and canvas would give easily enough.

WIth the sheet metal so light, I could even hang it from the upper cabinets to avoid going through the shell.

I think you have a winner, Loren! Thanks!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #5

Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Quote:
Gigi,
Another alternative might be the brushed stainless square tiles which can be applied to many firm surfaces. I haven't seen them for sale for awhile, so you may have to hunt a bit. Just don't boil a big pot of water for spaghetti on the back burner. This was done at our church and the flame was spread enough to scorch the wall behind the range top!
Isn't it fun using your imagination to solve your FGRV problems?
Kurt & Ann K.
Thanks for the giggle! Although, I guess it's not nice to laugh at a scorched church wall! That could be cause for me to be scorched!

I love those brushed stainless tiles. Actually, it's been a goal of mine to paint on tiles and have them kilned. I am planning to do this in my next home for the kitchen and perhaps the bath.

I guess I could mount the tiles on a board and affix the board in the same manner I described in my first post. Food for thought!

Thank you for brainstorming with me. It is fun to be creative, with these little packages, one can do so many things it's hard to stop. Actually, I'm heading into some back surgery and I am selling my house so I've been taking a break from my business, interior design. I'm used to walking onto the job site and being faced with 6 contractors all asking for direction or help in solving a dilemma they faced. I love to think on my feet and rather miss the action.

We'll see how all this turns out, eh?
Cheers!
Gigi
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #6

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I'm not one to commit to a look that can't be easily changed. I learned an expensive lesson from buying a house with tile floors that are beautiful but not fashionable. My solution is wallpaper. I repapered my baths and backsplash with embossed tile patterned wallpaper. You get the 3D effect and look but not the expense or weight and permanence of tile.

This is what will replace the 1960s flower patterned paper in my bath. The scrolled strip is a tile patterned border that complements the wallpaper.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC_003F.JPG   MVC_002F.JPG  

Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #7

Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Quote:
I'm not one to commit to a look that can't be easily changed. I learned an expensive lesson from buying a house with tile floors that are beautiful but not fashionable. My solution is wallpaper. I repapered my baths and backsplash with embossed tile patterned wallpaper. You get the 3D effect and look but not the expense or weight and permanence of tile.

This is what will replace the 1960s flower patterned paper in my bath. The scrolled strip is a tile patterned border that complements the wallpaper.
Hi, Benita
Thanks for looking in. I feel the same about tile. I don't like it underfoot and it's difficult to remove once down.
If I were to use tile on a board, I wouldn't affix it to the wall, I'd sandwich it in between the upper and lower cabinets.
Your wallpaper is quite nice. Your scrolls inspired me to think about using cutouts of wallpaper for my Faberge look. I just need to find a damask pattern in wallpaper and cut out the pcs I want. This could be nice decoupaged on my cabinets and then glazed.
Thanks for the inspiration, Benita!
Cheers!
Gigi
Old 04-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
I can think of two ways to get the effect.

1) use a piece of tile-look paneling cut to fit the space. Attach using the top of the counter and the bottom of the overhead cabinet.

2) Just paint the ensolite to look like tiles. Painting to look like bricks would likely be more convincing.

Neither one adds significant weight.

If you painted a canvas and wanted to stick that to the ensolite - what about spray glue?

mkw
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #9

Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Quote:
I can think of two ways to get the effect.

1) use a piece of tile-look paneling cut to fit the space. Attach using the top of the counter and the bottom of the overhead cabinet.

2) Just paint the ensolite to look like tiles. Painting to look like bricks would likely be more convincing.

Neither one adds significant weight.

If you painted a canvas and wanted to stick that to the ensolite - what about spray glue?

mkw
Hi, Mike!
The idea of using a piece of tile looking paneling is a great idea! I can tsp the raised areas and then paint my scene over that and finish with a spray acrylic sealer!

I entertained the idea of painting directly on the ensolite, I don't think the old back would hold up while I painted my scene.

Your idea of paneling is truly great. I can't wait to get my hands on a piece.
Thanks!
Gigi
Old 04-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #10

Georgia
Gigi,

Armstrong EZ Backsplash This is the route for ceiling and backsplash I've been considering for my home. There are paper and a plasticy versions of the product. The instructions for backsplash use say to apply like wallpaper and then coat with what sounds like car wax. These materials are paintable. The paint should be applied before the wax treatment.

Ebay Vendors

Home Decor Store - Adhesive Backsplashes
Attached Thumbnails
bks1.JPG   bks.JPG  

c1.JPG   bks2.JPG  

Old 04-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #11

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Massachusetts
Home Depot carries tin ceiling tiles now so you could by one and place it behind there. Another option is these tiles from Home Improvements:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/Parent....29x&dept%5Fid=1
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #12

Georgia
Rob,

The tiles carried by Home Depot and Lowes are made by Armstrong. The vendor in my first link is calling the Armstrong tiles "EZ Backsplash". Armstrong tiles are what most folks get for commercial and residential use for ceilings and backsplashes versus trying to apply real tin. This is what you are seeing as a stamped tin ceiling in most restaurants or hotets if the building didn't originally have one. The Armstrong product can be bought as a wallpaper/contact paper like sheet or as a drop in or glue up tile. Most inexpensive installations require that a metallic paint and/or a moisture seal be applied. The more expensive installations use prepainted and already sealed tiles. The pictures in my post above show one ceiling application and several backsplash applications for Armstrong tiles. There are numerous stamped patterns and a few prepainted color choices.

The Home Improvement tiles you linked to are featured in my second link for half the price. They have a "Buy It Now" price of $12.99 a box. There are also several auctions for the metallic adhesive tiles in black, brushed aluminum, copper and white.

Pictures:
* Metallic tile adhesives in brushed aluminum/copper and black/white and French Provincial

* Sheet backsplash adhesives in yellow and blue print tile
Attached Thumbnails
fpbks.JPG   flbks.JPG  

bsbks.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #13

Georgia
Clarification: You can still buy real tin ceiling tiles. I'm just not sure how flexible or how heavy they are.

Here is a link for real tin ceilings. They range from $12-$30 per square and are designed to be nailed up.

American Tin Ceilings
Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 PM   #14

Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Benita, we think alike! The tin ceilings panel hang in my design studio! They were easy to install and look great. I liked the look so well I put that Armstrong ceiling tile in the "maid's" room in my 110 year old home. I painted it and then glazed it with a siena brown.

I like the idea of real tiles! When I was in Italy a few years ago, on the Amalfi Coast, I found a tile shop that would custom paint tiles for my clients. They do a marvelous job and that's what's inspired me to paint my own! For my clients, I send them pictures, sketches, color chips and they send me back their sketch and interpretation. My clients have been very pleased with the finished tiles.

http://www.ceramichedarte.com/ Pascale is the owner, lovely man.

If you look at the site, you'll see the look I'm after. And, that's why I want to paint it myself. I can customize it to include anything I wish.

The idea Mike posed about starting with the tile paneling sounds very intriguing. I will likely gesso the raised areas so my oil paints will adhere and then glaze the whole thing with a few colors, antique white with an hint of yellow and brown. After that's dry, I'll paint the scene I want.

I loved many of the tiles you pictured! Thanks for all the time and effort! May these all be helpful to those in a backsplash quest!

Rob, thanks for weighing here as well! I appreciate the help.

Cheers!
Gigi