Finding replacement windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Finding replacement windows

Does anyone have a line on custom sized windows for my Compact Jr. I have searched everywhere for affordable sliding windows and have come up goose eggs.
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Finding replacement windows

Prepare to (1) be flexible on size- a little oversize just requires cutting the fiberglass, and (2) redefine affordable- RV windows are just plain expensive.

Definitely scour RV salvage yards, local and/or online. Shipping is costly, something to consider when shopping online. Check nearby Craigslist.

Worst case, you may have to cough up for new windows or tackle fiberglass patch work to make the opening smaller.

I’m afraid it’s one of those things people expect to be simple when they take on a project, but it’s not.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglassflyer View Post
Does anyone have a line on custom sized windows for my Compact Jr. I have searched everywhere for affordable sliding windows and have come up goose eggs.
Forget the sliding windows, there is an issue with them because you can't have them open when it is raining. If you forget to close them before it rains and you are out doing stuff you will come back to water inside the trailer which is a big issue. The problem is increased considerably because the inward slope of the trailer sides lets more rain in that a standard upright vertical window.

You are much better off with an awning style of window or a jalousie one. Those make it easier to have fresh air on a drizzly day.

If I ever order brand new windows for my trailer they will not be sliders.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Given a choice, sliders would be LAST on my list, and jalousies would be first. I'd look into RV wrecking yards, they are out there. Even trailers in the mid 1980s had jalousie windows. They tended to be rounded at the ends, with a center jalousie section.

There are RV wrecking yards in Arizona, I have no experience with them.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Forget the sliding windows, there is an issue with them because you can't have them open when it is raining. If you forget to close them before it rains and you are out doing stuff you will come back to water inside the trailer which is a big issue. The problem is increased considerably because the inward slope of the trailer sides lets more rain in that a standard upright vertical window.

You are much better off with an awning style of window or a jalousie one. Those make it easier to have fresh air on a drizzly day.

If I ever order brand new windows for my trailer they will not be sliders.
If you do let me know, I prefer sliders, and 2 of mine can stay open in a hard rain!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows