Fire alarm, CO alarm AND Propane alarm?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

Do any of you use all three of these? Two of them? Which alarms do you use, and where do you put them all. (There's only so much surface space in this tiny trailer of mine!)

Jen in Cali
jenpb.blogspot.com

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Propane is heavy and therefor the alarm is very close to the floor.
The others can be installed up high and you can find a smoke/carbon monxide in a single unit.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
I'm looking at putting in the CO2 and Gas alarm combo. Either the one from Kidde or the Safe-T-Alert 12V one. I'm not too worried about a smoke alarm. In a 13' trailer I think I'll notice a fire or smoke on my own without the use of a smoke alarm. I haven't found a single alarm that has all 3 in it.

I am going to get a fire extinguisher. Anyone have a suggestion for a good small one?

Rob
Rob Carmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
We have a propane alarm near the floor and a smoke alarm near the ceiling. I installed a carbon monoxide alarm 2/3 the way up from the floor and it has been such a problem that I have disarmed it.

It seems to work well during low temperatures, but once the summer heat comes it goes off often and registers elevated CO counts. This is when the trailer has NO combustion of any kind taking place, so it is not CO that is setting it off at all but other fumes in our 8 year old trailer (which should have pretty much have off-gassed most of what originates in its building materials).

In checking with my brother-in-law who is a fireman he said that he does not have a very positive attitude about the CO detectors since they very often give off false alarms and therefore cause more trouble than they are worth.

I thought I had a faulty example, but this gives me pause to think they are inherently unstable.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I am going to get a fire extinguisher. Anyone have a suggestion for a good small one?
I got mine at a marine supply store.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

I picked up a fire alarm while venturing through an RV store in Central Cal this week. Also picked up the propane alarm, but could only find a 12V version. Not sure I want to use it. Anyone know if there's a battery powered (like 9V or AAA as opposed to 12V) propane alarm? I'm not finding one online.

Jen
jenpb.blogspot.com

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane