Fire in Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
what do people that smoke inside do about the detectors in such an enclosed space?

I actually have only been in one egg where the owners smoked inside and they had the detector disconnected because it kept going off.

Mine went off once when cooking, and once when I had a lantern going in there.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Brian, You have a good point. I didn't think about a propane leak being a leaky pilot, not CO. Also, I did not smell anything at all, which I think would indicate CO, not propane. I think propane smells like gas, doesn't it, whereas CO is odorless?

I'm going to an authorized trailer place next week, and I'll let him do the real check. I don't know if I really trust those heaters.

Another thought I had while looking over our trailer with "new" eyes - Our curtains over the sink window were on a pretty long rod - which brought the curtains VERY close to the back burner on the stove. Plus, the curtains are about 2 inches longer than the counter. I thought this was a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't know if I would have seen it, except the trailer is new to us. I think we need to look around with "new eyes" once in a while. "If this trailer was new to me, what do I see."

Just a thought. Christi
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
..Also, I did not smell anything at all, which I think would indicate CO, not propane. I think propane smells like gas, doesn't it, whereas CO is odorless?...
Right, CO is odorless; you wouldn't smell pure propane, either, which is why it (and natural gas) have an odorant added before they are sold - that's the "like gas" smell.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
Right, CO is odorless; you wouldn't smell pure propane, either, which is why it (and natural gas) have an odorant added before they are sold - that's the "like gas" smell.
well, this topic has been very educational. I think the next scamp we get (we want to trade up to a 16) will get retrofitted with an escape back window! I'm just a little wide and a top vent exit, sounds less able for me--only unless we had the table up, which we rarely do when campng. hmmm.
thanks for the good advice. good to notice few 'egg' emergencies. makes me feel more safe. we do have a co2/smoke detector and fire extinguisher--and yes, we have to put it outside when we cook--which is usually breakfast. not a time anybody wants to hear screaming electronics! ha!
we are both pretty fire conscious so i guess awareness helps. we set our ceramic heater on the stove portion, not the fiberglass--just in case it does get hot.
thanks all. sleep well out there!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
well, this topic has been very educational. I think the next scamp we get (we want to trade up to a 16) will get retrofitted with an escape back window! I'm just a little wide and a top vent exit, sounds less able for me--only unless we had the table up, which we rarely do when campng. hmmm.
thanks for the good advice. good to notice few 'egg' emergencies. makes me feel more safe. we do have a co2/smoke detector and fire extinguisher--and yes, we have to put it outside when we cook--which is usually breakfast. not a time anybody wants to hear screaming electronics! ha!
we are both pretty fire conscious so i guess awareness helps. we set our ceramic heater on the stove portion, not the fiberglass--just in case it does get hot.
thanks all. sleep well out there!
Sheesh- we are only 6 feet away from the door to escape! Why would I try to open the roof where it's the hottest and smokiest? As far as heaters go, of course, shut off at night, because your are snug in bed. Just put a sock on your nose.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Sheesh- we are only 6 feet away from the door to escape! Why would I try to open the roof where it's the hottest and smokiest? As far as heaters go, of course, shut off at night, because your are snug in bed. Just put a sock on your nose.
I'm of the same thought Jim. If fiberglass owners use their head when it comes to stove/furnace/heater use, escaping because of a fire becomes almost a non-issue. but, you do have to think ahead about what you're going to do if you can't get the blasted door open for some reason...wind blows down a tree next to the trailer and the door won't open, etc. Under that type of circumstances there is plenty of time to figure how to get out, and to do it with minimal damage to the trailer and/or persons.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
My father ALWAYS kept the hatchet in his 13 foot Shasta - just in case. Also, kept it in our tent (for the two footed invaders). Fortunately, he never had to use it.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #28

Quote:
...As far as heaters go, of course, shut off at night, because your are snug in bed. Just put a sock on your nose.
While this is certainly possible, and millions of tent campers have proven that it is practical to sleep without a heater, I thought that the point of buying all of this equipment in the trailer, then hauling it everywhere, was to use it. The idea of heating up the interior with a furnace during the day, just to turn it off when it is coldest outside, seems irrational to me. I don't do that at home, where a gas furnace lurks, ready to start a huge fire or leak gas and blow the whole house up... because I am more likely to win a lottery than suffer either of those fates. Of course, both home and RV gas systems and appliances must be maintained to be safe.

I suppose that one's choice in this matter may be dependent on the weather conditions - if overnight "cold" isn't actually cold, then using the heater is certainly optional.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #29

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Just a thought, the esacpe hatch on the roof may serve as your only route if the trailer was turned over and the door was blocked, or locked in some way that does not allow you access, such as Donnas Daughter was. (Tree falling on it, maybe?)

The only reasons I can think of that you might be IN a trailer when it falls on it's side would be

a powerful hurricane.....

or a pushy bear.

We know no one here would be riding in one when it's being towed....
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Quote:
On my Scamp (91S13), the fire extinguisher was mounted to the rear of the closet -- I moved it to beside the door, where home extinguishers should also be kept -- You want to be moving towards the extinguisher AND the exit so you still have choices regarding personal safety and fighting the fire (of course, if you have bailed out of the exit, you have already made a choice).
What an excellent and common-sense idea!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #31

Quote:
...The only reasons I can think of that you might be IN a trailer when it falls on it's side would be

a powerful hurricane.....

or a pushy bear.
... or an overnight flood in a river-side campground. Still not likely, but imaginable.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
After I got my ample bottom up through the roof vent, I can see the whole roof collapsing from the weight...that would put out a fire I don't have a fire story, but one time my daughter was locked inside the trailer when the cylinder spun in the door lock. Since there's no way to unlock the Scamp door handle from the inside, if she and I had both been inside the only way we would have had to get out would have been through the roof vent. For those that replace the passive roof vent with a "fan" style need to rethink about how to get out in a case similar to what my daughter experienced. I suppose you could always break a window out, but the egress vents are designed for escape with minimal damage to the vent or trailer.

(I'm replying to this really late- sorry about that! I haven't had a chance to visit the forum for a while)

I have had the joyful experience of being locked out of our trailer and having to climb through our Scamp's emergency escape hatch to get in and unlock the door- twice, actually (my at-the-time-two-year-old-son locked the door as he was exiting, and the trailer being new-used did not have a key). It was a gymnastics adventure, to say the least. I initially tried to climb through one of the small side windows- which opened easily- but I my butt wedged in and I was stuck there for more than ten minutes, worried I'd have to scream for the neighbors to call the fire department (my son was quite amused, watching me squirm and grunt halfway inside the Scamp's side window). I've also climbed halfway onto the roof in order to install a new hatch lid, and that roof really bends with more than about 50 lbs of weight (so I think it would be more cost-economical to break a window to escape than to climb out and potentially put a serious crack in the body of the trailer).

I keep a fire extinguisher in our trailer, and we have a smoke and CO2 detector. I would think the best way to exit when the door was blocked and time was an issue would be by breaking one of the large windows.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #33

Tirah, great story...too bad there aren't any pictures you could share! I agree too that a window would be a better choice than the vent in case of an emergency. I'm a thinkin' the Scamp egress vent is to satisfy legal issues more than anything else.

I've had the opposite problem with the door lock. It locked from the outside (cylinder tumbler spun) and my daughter who was inside the trailer couldn't get out. I changed that door handle/lock quickly after that.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #34

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Wonder if someone who was replacing a window anyway would volunteer to kick out a front or rear plexi window in an older 13' Boler or Scamp just to see how hard it is to do if needed for fire egress.. ..the opening would most likely be large enough for most folks.......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
My screens slide open, just like the openable panel of the glass. The clear (un-obstructed) opening measures 22" wide by 18" high. The entire window is 48" wide by 18" high.
I cannot picture myself climbing out of that window.
After much thought, the only effective way to get out through it would be to dive head first. The 5' drop from the window to the ground has me concerned, though.
My 1980 Scamp 16ft. has the crank out windows and the back window, opposite the door will open and swing out. I mounted a smoke detector in it and I do not have a factory heater, I use an electric one, little small ceramic which has a tilt0over off switch. But I seldom even cook in it, I tend to cook outside on a camp stove to take in avery minute of nature. I have a nice fire extinguisher too, don't believe many mentioned that. Even a big box of baking soda would be handy. If you don't have them, install alarms and fire suppression. If no swing out window, maybe keep a hatchet to knock out a window.
Robert Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #36

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I'm definitely going out and buying a CO/smoke detector unit for the scamp--and move the fire extinguisher. We haven't braved cooking inside yet--except the microwave, we have a BBQ attached to the trailer tongue--cant be too careful.

Side note: My 3yo daughter and I went without my husband to buy our Scamp and within 15 min of being there she had put the pin inside the door lock and shut the door--thankfully on her way out. The man we purchased it from just shook his head--he had it for 25 years and two boys and never had that happen. I brought it home "locked" thinking I was going to have to squeeze down that hatch or break a window, but my husband just grabbed a wrench and undid the nuts on the outside door hinge and off it came---I knew I married him for a reason!
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #37

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I do not want to scare the heck out of you folks but..............during my career as a paramedic I saw many trailer and motor home fires. Not all the owners survived. There are many toxic materials (when burning) in a trailer and motor home. Have detectors as some have mentioned and make sure you keep checking that they are functioning. Also, have all the members of your family practice (a few times a year) quick escapes from all available exits. Do this at night with your eyes closed too. That may sound odd but the smoke may be so thick you will be operating on auto pilot. Time is of the essence in a trailer or motor home fire. GET OUT FAST!
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #38

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I just wanted to mention that last fall my hot water heater overheated and could have easily caused a fire if I had been staying in the campround another night. Another camper saw me pulling out of the campground and allerted me to the smoky soot all over the camper by the water heater opening)(area where the pilot is lit). The outside fiberglass did actually get scortched by the malfunctioning water heater. A trip to camping world and over $100 later it was repaired. I wanted a professional fixing that one!
It would pay everyone to walk around the other side of the camper and check the vents etc once in a while. I could have been sleeping with fire right under my head if staying another night. I will be checking frequently this yr. Another thought is to have those fire extinguishers checked every year to be sure they are still good.
I can easily see being trapped in even a small trailer if the fire is between you and the door. Fast escape is very important.
Those escape windows hopefully are easy to open and close, as I am thinking that practicing opening and closing them and trying to get out might be a plan. I do think it would be head first and falling to the ground though.
ANYONE here ever gotten out of an escape window and if so... feet first, head first or ???

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #39

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
A good point about fire extinguishers. If you have ever been around in a fully involved trailer or motor home fire you would know the tiny extinguishers most trailer owners have are not adequate. They may retard or stop the beginning of a tiny fire but are no defense against an aggressive or ripping fire. Speak with your local firefighters and try to purchase appropriate size extinguishers if possible. The extra few seconds a larger extinguisher could give you may make the differnece.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Those escape windows hopefully are easy to open and close, as I am thinking that practicing opening and closing them and trying to get out might be a plan. I do think it would be head first and falling to the ground though.
ANYONE here ever gotten out of an escape window and if so... feet first, head first or ???
I think you're smart to even think about "what ifs" The most important thing to remember, is to get OUT. Don't worry about damage to the trailer, don't worry about hurting yourself in the fall...but GET OUT. It's like a stick built house. If the fire prevents you from going down a hallway to get out a door. Throw something, anything through a window and go out that way. In times of panic, sometimes common sense shuts down. Talking about it and thinking about it already, is preparing you for those times.