First trip in the Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Loaded up the GF, her two kids, a TON of stuff and all took off to Friday Harbor in the spectactular San Juan Islands. We had perfect weather, got intimate with a pod of killer whales, watched eagles, seals, and generally witnesses some of the most amazing sites I've seen in quite some time. And all in our own backyard too - I love WA!

I bought a 1984 13' Scamp three weeks ago and have spent that time cleaning, buffing, polishing, repairing and improving - all in preparation for this trip and many others this summer with her kids and my own little guy. Overall impressions were that it worked fine, the kids certainly loved it, and it will serve well as a very basic camper. There were some issues that came up - some were solved on the fly - but for others I'd like to get feedback from you all.

Condensation on the walls and ceiling. I expected some on the windows and for the most part that water drained to the outside as it should. There were a couple windows where a drops would form on the corners of the window frame. Not a huge deal. The walls of the trailer were quite moist. We weren't roasting or sweating up a storm in there, but the temp. at night was down to about the mid 40s. We also did not have the heater going (another tragedy as some of the wires came disconnected while scrambling to stop a leaky sink that had work fine the day before) Is this normal? This is one of the reasons I stopped sleeping in tents

Our list of tragedies included... a leaky sink, a non functioning heater (due to leaky sink cleanup), a kid falling off the top bunk (solved by installing a shower rod across the top the next night - and restoring her confidence), wet walls, an insanely squeaky door hinge (loud enough to wake sleeping children), a lower storage compartment that would not stay shut, and a bed that proved to be less than ideal due to my long body and those curved corners of the Scamp (I need those corners!).

Most of our problems were solved with a trip to the hardware store and the bed was better the second night - probably because were so tired from not sleeping well the first night. I also think four people is pushing it for that little thing. The kids are 7, 7, and 9 and it won't be long before we may outgrow this little guy.
Mark Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Mark,

If you get that furnace working you will probably have even more condensation. We don't have a furnace. I bought an electric cube heater for when we are hooked up to power and we just heat water on the stove for coffee in the morning for heat if there is no power.

4 or 5 beings breathing causes a lot of condensation. You had windows cracked?

I seem to remember condensation in the old tent too.

Is there a place at Friday Harbor to camp?

Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Mark:
You are the latest to attest to the condensation problem. I find it outside my experience, but maybe our habits have something to do with it. Our Burro is double-shell and insulated, but I don't think that is really the issue here, because if condensation occurs it should be on our windows, which are the plexiglass type (I think).

Our habit is that we have at least two windows cracked open when sleeping, and in warmer weather the overhead FanTastic fan vent cracked open. In cold weather we have the furnace set to about 62 degrees with the overhead vent closed. Too much heat loss.

I'm guessing here, but maybe there are three factors here: 1) twice as many people breathing out moisture, 2) not enough fresh air, and 3) smaller interior space.

The problem you cite can be really annoying, I agree. Using a furnace to heat it when necessary, or electric heat when possible should help drive out some of the moisture, but from what I hear using a catalytic heater actually contributes to the moisture buildup. Ventilation is probably the key.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If you crack you ceiling vent just enough to be oopen but not let rain get in, you should see a big difference in condensation. We always have ours cracked even with the heat on.

There will always be some condensation, unless you all stop breathing, but you shouls see a big difference with the vent cracked.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Is there a place at Friday Harbor to camp?
There are two spots that I know of - San Juan Park and Lakedale Resort. I talked to a number of people who were island hopping at different campgrounds all this week.

We had one window cracked the first night and none the second night. No difference, but the shear number of bodies may just be the reason. I'm going to see if I can get this furnace wired up again or I am just going to find a ceramic heater with thermostat.

Either way I am probably headed back out again this weekend with my son
Mark Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp