Fix for door window leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I started sanding and fixing any problems on the door of my scamp and figured out an interesting way to stop water leaking into it in the future.

After taking the window out, I found out that I was lucky and only had a little dry rot of the filler in two small area's, only in about 1" deep. I also noticed that the fiberglass skin was loose from the filler, with the window trying to hold the inner and outer skins together. After fairing my skylight, I thought that this material would work great in filling the dry rot area, but then I went further and cut out a 1/4" surface area off of the entire filler around the opening. I then put in the fairing material and clamped two pieces of plywood to the outsides of the door, to make the fiberglass skin the correct width. After drying, I sanded and now the two skins are adhered to the filler and I have a watertight door interior if the window leaks in the future. I had to put a little more filler in a couple of holes, but will post a picture in latter today or tommorow.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Danny, I had a similar situation, though I think the filler between the skins and around my window were in much worse shape than yours. (In fact, the door was saturated with water for who knows how long! I described the details for drying the door out, and correcting a bad warp, in a previous thread.)

I removed as much of the bad filler from around my window as possible. Then inserted four properly sized pieces of wood between the skins as an internal frame around the perimeter of the window opening. Like you, I then used my fiberglass resin fairing compound to bind the skins to the new frame, as well as completely seal the window cutout from any future water penetration. Solid!
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I was lucky that the interior material was pretty intact, and that the curve of the door is still spot on. Your article on how to fix your door took some thinking to figure out that great way to solve it. It's so cold in my garage, that I'm spending time designing the interior until it warms up a bit.

Tags
leaks, weatherproofing, window leaks