Fixed Scamp door "poppin" open - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Name: JW
Trailer: Casita
Missouri
Fixed Scamp door "poppin" open

Took the '04 scamp 5'r campin for the first time and had to stop twice and shut the door. 3rd time duct taped it shut.I had just put a new Scamp weatherstrip on it just before we left. After we got it back home, seen on this site where someone said the latch spring gets weak and needs replaced. Bought a new latch assembly from scamp for 16 bucks and when I compared the new vs. the old....Wow. Major difference. Thanks to whomever suggested the solution, they were right on!
gihuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gihuff View Post
Took the '04 scamp 5'r campin for the first time and had to stop twice and shut the door. 3rd time duct taped it shut.I had just put a new Scamp weatherstrip on it just before we left. After we got it back home, seen on this site where someone said the latch spring gets weak and needs replaced. Bought a new latch assembly from scamp for 16 bucks and when I compared the new vs. the old....Wow. Major difference. Thanks to whomever suggested the solution, they were right on!
You are most welcome.
There really is a big difference.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Is that even with the handle locked? I had to take mine apart because the innards bent and the latch jammed shut. I had to take it off the hinges.

They only welded one corner of the guide on, seems like a flaw to me.

I fully welded the bent piece in.

I'm hoping not replacing the spring doesn't bite me. It's made it 1700 miles so far, hope it keeps working. I don't want to take it apart again.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Is that even with the handle locked? I had to take mine apart because the innards bent and the latch jammed shut. I had to take it off the hinges.

They only welded one corner of the guide on, seems like a flaw to me.

I fully welded the bent piece in.

I'm hoping not replacing the spring doesn't bite me. It's made it 1700 miles so far, hope it keeps working. I don't want to take it apart again.

You're going to tear it apart in an attempt to save $16.00?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

You're going to tear it apart in an attempt to save $16.00?
Unless you can prove the new ones aren't flawed, and won't lock me out, yes. I would rather take the hour to fix it right, than buy one that already comes with a flaw. I don't carry a spare latch or welder while camping, better to do it right, IMHO.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #6

Missouri
Door was in locked position, bouncing of the trailer would unlatch it. Spring was the problem. You could hold the latch in your hand and the handle would flop up and down. New one is tight and has firm spring. New one is nice and shiny too. If I was going through the trouble of taking the old one apart (and it crossed my mind)
It would be to replace the spring! 16 bucks was worth it as I had to buy some other things from scamp. You have to consider shipping too. The latch alone is 14.80 to ship so you now have 30.00 in a latch. So I understand
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

Missouri
I will probably take the old one apart here sometime, replace the spring, grease it and reassemble it and paint is gloss black and put on the shelf for a spare.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #8

Missouri
Oh and I dipped the new handle in that rubberized liquid that they insulate tools handles with so it is not naked lookin available in black or red at most home improvement stores, Menards in my case.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2000 16' Scamp SD
Arizona
$14.80 to ship from Scamp. Would be about $5.00 shipping from anyone else. If you call your parts order in instead of ordering over the internet, scamp doesn't shaft you on the shipping. This is why I don't order anything from scamp - period. Ed
EdMcM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMcM2000 View Post
$14.80 to ship from Scamp. Would be about $5.00 shipping from anyone else. If you call your parts order in instead of ordering over the internet, scamp doesn't shaft you on the shipping. This is why I don't order anything from scamp - period. Ed
It's not Scamp shafting you on shipping, it is mostly a result of Delta having a lock on air traffic. In the past a common pattern has been if Delta gets competition it just drops the price to a loss until the competition decides it's tired of losing money trying to get established in that market.

Discount airlines shy away from MSP | Star Tribune

Not mentioned in the article is they also have a lock on much of the terminal space. Your plane needs a spot, you lease it short term from them. And your paying top dollar.

I'm pretty sure you would find it expensive to ship TO Scamp when compared to other cities at a similar distance through FedEx or UPS. Only US Postal does not charge more based on real world prices, but then they are required by law to charge the same rate for the same package anywhere in the country.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

It's not Scamp shafting you on shipping, it is mostly a result of Delta having a lock on air traffic. In the past a common pattern has been if Delta gets competition it just drops the price to a loss until the competition decides it's tired of losing money trying to get established in that market.

Discount airlines shy away from MSP | Star Tribune

Not mentioned in the article is they also have a lock on much of the terminal space. Your plane needs a spot, you lease it short term from them. And your paying top dollar.

I'm pretty sure you would find it expensive to ship TO Scamp when compared to other cities at a similar distance through FedEx or UPS. Only US Postal does not charge more based on real world prices, but then they are required by law to charge the same rate for the same package anywhere in the country.
Seems like Scamp could ship parcel post for small items without a special request.

Tags
scamp