Fixing a door -- 1973 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You should see the ones on my 1988... terrible weld job. My welder says, who ever did it was a "dobber." But, they're holding. And, came from the factory that way. Maybe they put interns to that job before allowed to work full frames?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Dan, for some reason whether it is a crack or not the main frame should be continuous from the coupler in the front all the way to the bumper of trailer, mine a 16 foot has a short piece of angle welded right about where your problem is, mine came from the factory that way, would have the angle on the bottom and outside of the trailer, not straight pieces or that other piece that seems to be welded on and is hanging down about 2, 3 inches,

Old 05-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The welded piece on the top is what I'm curious about. The body is getting crushed right there too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG1773-DonnaD.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #18

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I am going to try and take some more pics tonight, highlighting the areas that y'all asked about.

Also, I doubt it matters for this discussion, but apparently my trailer is a 1991, not a 1973. I can't edit the first post any more to change that.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #19

Minnesota
Registry
Dan, if you determine that your frame is welded properly, then i would follow Brians link doing the template thing, your door looks square in the opening its the opening that out of wack, its that corner of the body that has sagged, due to I suspect the frame crack...
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Dan, if you determine that your frame is welded properly, then i would follow Brians link doing the template thing, your door looks square in the opening its the opening that out of wack, its that corner of the body that has sagged, due to I suspect the frame crack...
Yeah,it looks to me like the frame is ok and the body is sagging on that corner.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #21

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The welded piece on the top is what I'm curious about. The body is getting crushed right there too.
Here are pics of this, if it's any help.

Door side

non-door side

Next week I am taking the trailer to a local RV place, to do the electrical hookup to my truck and check the trailer frame, axle, etc. So hopefully they will tell me the frame is fine. But even so, I will still be saying "then what", as that fix-it thread posted is beyond my ability or (time to acquire the ability through trial/error). I'm going to have to find someone to do it or help me do it.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #22

Minnesota
Registry
just my thinking, go to a welding shop for a look see at the frame, as for the body fix, Body shop, local handyman? without it being in my driveway for a actual look see hard to make any suggestions,assumptions sorry
Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #23

Colorado
Well, the RV place said the frame is fine, so I guess that's a good thing, but now still need to get this fixed somehow.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Dan, for some reason whether it is a crack or not the main frame should be continuous from the coupler in the front all the way to the bumper of trailer, mine a 16 foot has a short piece of angle welded right about where your problem is, mine came from the factory that way, would have the angle on the bottom and outside of the trailer, not straight pieces or that other piece that seems to be welded on and is hanging down about 2, 3 inches,

Not on mine - it came like that from the factory just like his looks and the welding like Donna's is less than perfect as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Well, the RV place said the frame is fine, so I guess that's a good thing, but now still need to get this fixed somehow.
I would start with replacing the hinges and see how far that takes it back into its correct postion.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #26

Colorado
Thanks Carol (for both the frame comment and the hinge suggestion). I found a guy who is experienced working with fiberglass who can do the work for me (because that cracking looks like a problem that needs to be addressed, in addition to door fit, and I don't have a clue how to do it or do it well). he also is willing to show me the ropes a little (because I'd like to learn how to handle simple work with the fiberglass), only problem is he's not terribly local so logistics aren't going to be easy. Thinking I might just go ahead and order hinges so I'll be ready.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Thanks Carol (for both the frame comment and the hinge suggestion). I found a guy who is experienced working with fiberglass who can do the work for me (because that cracking looks like a problem that needs to be addressed, in addition to door fit, and I don't have a clue how to do it or do it well). he also is willing to show me the ropes a little (because I'd like to learn how to handle simple work with the fiberglass), only problem is he's not terribly local so logistics aren't going to be easy. Thinking I might just go ahead and order hinges so I'll be ready.
Thats good to hear - it always helps to have someone who has some ideas and has done some work before on fiberglass. It is to bad that your first repair is a big one such as that - think you will find you will be able to do most other repairs yourself.

When you order the hinges from Scamp you need to order two sets. I dont know why they call one a set but they do and many have been fooled into thinking they are getting a complete set of hinges and order just one set. You may also want to look at ordering the metal rain strip for above the door as well as yours is missing. It looks to me that something wacked the top of your trailer pretty hard or it brushed up against something hard due to the fact you have the crack, the rain guard stip has been ripped off and the door sag....tried to pull it under a heavy tree branch or something? hummm I am sure there is an intreasting story behind that
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #28

Colorado
thanks again. I read about the misleading hinge issue. Darn they are expensive! Over $50 for two! And I also was thinking about the rain strip as well.

My best guess is that nothing happened, no accident or whacking. I have seen similar pics of cracking like this, in the same exact place (see Roy's last pic in his first post, as an example). I guess it's a weak/stress point? I suspect that the rain strip was removed by a previous owner to facilitate the (really poor) repair job that s/he attempted. I could be wrong, but Roy's pic looks almost exactly the same, and I have seen other pics with similar cracks while poking around here.

Tags
scamp