Fixing a door -- 1973 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The welded piece on the top is what I'm curious about. The body is getting crushed right there too.
Here are pics of this, if it's any help.

Door side

non-door side

Next week I am taking the trailer to a local RV place, to do the electrical hookup to my truck and check the trailer frame, axle, etc. So hopefully they will tell me the frame is fine. But even so, I will still be saying "then what", as that fix-it thread posted is beyond my ability or (time to acquire the ability through trial/error). I'm going to have to find someone to do it or help me do it.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
just my thinking, go to a welding shop for a look see at the frame, as for the body fix, Body shop, local handyman? without it being in my driveway for a actual look see hard to make any suggestions,assumptions sorry
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #23

Colorado
Well, the RV place said the frame is fine, so I guess that's a good thing, but now still need to get this fixed somehow.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Dan, for some reason whether it is a crack or not the main frame should be continuous from the coupler in the front all the way to the bumper of trailer, mine a 16 foot has a short piece of angle welded right about where your problem is, mine came from the factory that way, would have the angle on the bottom and outside of the trailer, not straight pieces or that other piece that seems to be welded on and is hanging down about 2, 3 inches,

Not on mine - it came like that from the factory just like his looks and the welding like Donna's is less than perfect as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Well, the RV place said the frame is fine, so I guess that's a good thing, but now still need to get this fixed somehow.
I would start with replacing the hinges and see how far that takes it back into its correct postion.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #26

Colorado
Thanks Carol (for both the frame comment and the hinge suggestion). I found a guy who is experienced working with fiberglass who can do the work for me (because that cracking looks like a problem that needs to be addressed, in addition to door fit, and I don't have a clue how to do it or do it well). he also is willing to show me the ropes a little (because I'd like to learn how to handle simple work with the fiberglass), only problem is he's not terribly local so logistics aren't going to be easy. Thinking I might just go ahead and order hinges so I'll be ready.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Thanks Carol (for both the frame comment and the hinge suggestion). I found a guy who is experienced working with fiberglass who can do the work for me (because that cracking looks like a problem that needs to be addressed, in addition to door fit, and I don't have a clue how to do it or do it well). he also is willing to show me the ropes a little (because I'd like to learn how to handle simple work with the fiberglass), only problem is he's not terribly local so logistics aren't going to be easy. Thinking I might just go ahead and order hinges so I'll be ready.
Thats good to hear - it always helps to have someone who has some ideas and has done some work before on fiberglass. It is to bad that your first repair is a big one such as that - think you will find you will be able to do most other repairs yourself.

When you order the hinges from Scamp you need to order two sets. I dont know why they call one a set but they do and many have been fooled into thinking they are getting a complete set of hinges and order just one set. You may also want to look at ordering the metal rain strip for above the door as well as yours is missing. It looks to me that something wacked the top of your trailer pretty hard or it brushed up against something hard due to the fact you have the crack, the rain guard stip has been ripped off and the door sag....tried to pull it under a heavy tree branch or something? hummm I am sure there is an intreasting story behind that
Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #28

Colorado
thanks again. I read about the misleading hinge issue. Darn they are expensive! Over $50 for two! And I also was thinking about the rain strip as well.

My best guess is that nothing happened, no accident or whacking. I have seen similar pics of cracking like this, in the same exact place (see Roy's last pic in his first post, as an example). I guess it's a weak/stress point? I suspect that the rain strip was removed by a previous owner to facilitate the (really poor) repair job that s/he attempted. I could be wrong, but Roy's pic looks almost exactly the same, and I have seen other pics with similar cracks while poking around here.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't tell from the pictures, but unless the hinges themselves are cracked, you could probably just replace pieces that wear by purchasing the hinge bolt kit. You'll want to replace the bolt with stainless steel. Basically you end up spending $5 for a brass ball and spring, but what's a person to do when you need it? And you'll need two of those too!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #30

Name: Brent
Trailer: Burro-1983
Minnesota
donna. you mentioned that the body is crashing down on the left side..what cause this.
i am looking at a scamp that has this same issue. is it something to be concerned about..thanks.
Brentshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #31

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I looked at one like this a year or two ago and the floor was very soft and spongy. aka shot.

I figured the only repair would be to raise it off the frame and replace the floor.

Because of that and his asking price I walked away.
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp