fixing a hole - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 1977 Boler
I used the rocker-guard from a spray can and it didn't go on very thick at all. That is to say it wouldn't hide much and may actually make imperfections larger, not smaller!

That said, using masking tape to mask the rocker-guard edging worked pretty well. Next time, I might put plastic packing tape *over* the masking tape as the rocker guard caused the tape glue to stick firmly to the gelcoat. Removing it with a cloth and mineral spirits was a real PITA.

Bondo is generally easy to use. Don't be afraid of it, but you will need to fix the crack structurally before applying any bondo.
-M

Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Dave, there are folks that have done the bed liner front, perhaps they'll chime in. Otherwise maybe contact LauraW and see if she's got a picture she can send you of Birki the Boler. The bed liner on the front looked really good.

On Edit: Here's a bedliner that comes in colors: http://www.grizzlygrip.com/

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Dave

You can do the repair from the outside. It will create a lot more cosmetic effort but it will be a proper fix and not one that is simply a cover up.

I am faced with the same problem on a 13 Ft Trillium that I recently purchased. The unit was struck by a falling tree or some similar incident and the repairs done by the previous owner are perhaps the worst I have ever seen in my years in the fibreglass business.

Where I can, I will use the inside method. Where I cannot, I will do it on the outside surface.

I will start by grinding off the gelcoat to the point where the fibreglass strands appear. This assures that I will gain a very strong bond to the existing substrate. Using polyester resin and 1 ½ ounce fibreglass mat, I will put two layers over the repair area. I will make sure that the new material goes at least three inches beyond the affected area. This will provide the edge that can then be feathered down to mate with the original surface. Two layers of mat will not create a large hump and, properly sanded and faired will virtually disappear. Finishing with bondo and lots of sanding will complete the job

Bill Reilly
Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #18

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Read this or watch the clips http://glassclownboats.com/default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
if you need a temp fix until you can get it repaired i have used great stuff expanding foam in some rock hole just to keep water and bugs out for a temp fix. it comes out easy when you get ready to patch. thanks
glass clown
Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #19

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reilly View Post
Dave

You can do the repair from the outside. It will create a lot more cosmetic effort but it will be a proper fix and not one that is simply a cover up.

I am faced with the same problem on a 13 Ft Trillium that I recently purchased. The unit was struck by a falling tree or some similar incident and the repairs done by the previous owner are perhaps the worst I have ever seen in my years in the fibreglass business.

Where I can, I will use the inside method. Where I cannot, I will do it on the outside surface.

I will start by grinding off the gelcoat to the point where the fibreglass strands appear. This assures that I will gain a very strong bond to the existing substrate. Using polyester resin and 1 ½ ounce fibreglass mat, I will put two layers over the repair area. I will make sure that the new material goes at least three inches beyond the affected area. This will provide the edge that can then be feathered down to mate with the original surface. Two layers of mat will not create a large hump and, properly sanded and faired will virtually disappear. Finishing with bondo and lots of sanding will complete the job

Bill Reilly
glass clown best place to learn
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Jeff,
Clicking on link get me a white screen and the words " Go away "

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Try this one
Restoration - fiberglassics.com
The above link doesn't work, the website is off line
Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #22

Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Dave

One thing I neglected to point out. If you are going to do any fiberglass work, make sure you have a fiberglass roller. Using a brush is o.k. for very small jobs, but for anything larger than your hand I would strongly recommend that you purchase a roller. This will minimize the "lumpy" effect and make the finishing much easier.

Bill Reilly
Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Thought I should update this. It finally quit raining here so I managed to roll the sleeves up this weekend.

I managed to do the fiberglass patching without ripping out the bench inside.. but it took a lot of work. I followed some instructions off this website: Fixing Fiberglass Canoes and Boats using the Single-sided patch method described, and just made a few adjustments.

I used a jigsaw to cut along the crack, extending it about an inch on each side. It made a hole I could get my fingers into. Then I used the bondo fiberglass kit.. mixed the resin with hardener and placed it on a piece of cardboard. I then used kebob skewers and galvanized wire and put it through the cardboard and fiberglass.... I then could pull on the wire, hold it in place and let it harden... After I filled it with the bondo auto-filler and it's now smooth as can be. Previously it was a bumpy mess and looked awful.

Got a couple inches holding on from the inside, its nice and firm.. time will tell how it all holds, but I'm happy with the results. You can't tell from the pic but it's completely smooth.

Now I can get prepped to paint.. next decision will be to roll the paint or buy a spray gun...

thanks for help on this one..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0416.JPG   IMG_0417.JPG