Fixing heater in Uhaul CT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 13' U-Haul CT
Ohio
Fixing heater in Uhaul CT

So I have been trying to get the Duotherm heater working in my 13 ft Uhaul. It kicks on after I turn up the thermostat but never blows hot air. The pilot is working correctly so I am guessing I am not getting propane to the heater.

I checked the outside valve and regulator and they work because my stove works fine. I then made sure the valve was set to open on the heater. I believe the only thing left is the heater has a regulator and it may not be letting propane through? Im looking for any suggestions on what could be the issue because I am no heater expert.

Thanks!
Andrew
awroyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Look in the Document Center. There is a UHaul repair manual there. Furnace troubleshooting is on page 26.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...?do=file&id=38
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 86 Fiber Stream
Be sure the gas valve knob is turned all the way counter clockwise. You may have to push the gas knob in to turn it passed the pilot setting.
Dwight Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Also: Bleed the air out of the gas lines by lighting the stove top burners. Once the burners light try the furnace a few more times.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #5

Ohio
Thanks for the suggestions, Ill try these later today and let you know what I find.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Are you running it with the trailer plugged in to 110 power. I had trouble with ours when trying to run it on battery power, I think the gas valve on the furnace is kind of sensitive to voltage. In normal operation the fan will run first, it activates a sail switch, that then opens the gas valve. Mine didn't have a pilot light, it was electronic ignition. I had pulled out the electrode, cleaned it, set the gap, vacuumed out the inside of the heat exchanger, and had the furnace working OK, but then it turned out to be unreliable, plus the wall towards the rear next to the furnace got real hot, so finally I removed the furnace and installed a storage drawer in its place. We use either a small electric heater or a small Mr Heater propane heater with windows slightly open. I have no regrets at all about removing that furnace!!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
....what Bob just said....
the PO went over all of his repair attempts which still resulted in an unreliable furnace. I didn't trust it so I removed it and now have a great storage cubby. No boondocking for me, so I use electric cube heater, but in a pinch I have stove and lots of blankets!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

Ohio
Thanks guys, I ended deciding it wasn't worth the hassle since i have a coleman black cat propane heater or a small electric heater that will do the job just fine plus I will have that space for something else.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by awroyce View Post
Thanks guys, I ended deciding it wasn't worth the hassle since i have a coleman black cat propane heater or a small electric heater that will do the job just fine plus I will have that space for something else.

Thanks,
Andrew
You may find that someone else wants it. Those type of heaters (new) sell for $400+
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You may find that someone else wants it. Those type of heaters (new) sell for $400+
Thanks for the info, I plan on storing it for now and maybe adding it back in after I get some time/money to work on it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Those furnaces have a circuit board I believe, and some of those parts may be available from a company called Dinosaur parts, or something like that. I'm sure Tom knows exactly what it is. When I removed my furnace I removed the "T" fitting under the trailer that splits the gas line to feed the stove and furnace and replaced it with a elbow fitting to just feed the stove. I installed a light in the hole where the furnace vent was. Be sure to test any gas line connections with soapy water, bubbles will indicate a leak.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Those furnaces have a circuit board I believe, and some of those parts may be available from a company called Dinosaur parts, or something like that. I'm sure Tom knows exactly what it is..........
Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.

Tags
uhaul