Fixing Scamp Door Part 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Flygal's Avatar
 
Name: Brandy
Posts: 714
heavy door/cut guts out refilled/refiberglasses and recovered with vinyl..

Lightened my scamp door...any questions just ask otherwise I'm just posting photos
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_door_003.jpg   scamp_door2_001.jpg  

scamp_door2_005.jpg   scamp_door2_004.jpg  

scamp_door2_006.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Flygal's Avatar
 
Name: Brandy
Posts: 714
ohhhh brandy thats so nice....
__________________

__________________
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Larry&Carrie's Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Posts: 553
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
ohhhh brandy thats so nice....
Feeling purty proud of yourself for such a fine job huh?? See, I told ya not to be afraid of fiberglass work.... Larry
__________________
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Hee hee! I saw your post last night, but I thought maybe you were going to add more photos, so I held off in replying.

Good for you for tackling the job yourself

I have a couple of questions, as long as you're here:

1) What did you put back in for core?

2) Was the curve of your door already a good fit, and did you use some kind of jig to hold that shape while you worked on it? And/or did you do some shape tweaking as part of the job?

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Flygal's Avatar
 
Name: Brandy
Posts: 714
Insulation...from a cooler cut it up into workable pieces (please don't tell me if I shouldn't have done that

and as far as the shape I had a rachet strap all the way around.
I placed the door on the hinges, wrapped the strap around the door and proceeded to rachet away until I got the right bend. The door itself didn't seem to want to spring flat so I wasn't to worried. If you look at how I cut out the pieces I had three seperate pieces. I left a good one inch around the edges to help keep that shape and even left a 3 inch piece intact to make sure the door wouldn't twist like a rag.

I did some tweaking on the hinges by adding more spacers to force the door upwards. The I took the door off and proceeded to fiberglass away.

The bottom left of the door fits more snug now by far. I am very pleased with the results. I have some more fiberglassing to be done where the threshold is.



Quote:
Hee hee! I saw your post last night, but I thought maybe you were going to add more photos, so I held off in replying.

Good for you for tackling the job yourself

I have a couple of questions, as long as you're here:

1) What did you put back in for core?

2) Was the curve of your door already a good fit, and did you use some kind of jig to hold that shape while you worked on it? And/or did you do some shape tweaking as part of the job?

Raya
__________________
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Flygal's Avatar
 
Name: Brandy
Posts: 714
*struts like a peacock*

Why thank you Larry

Quote:
Feeling purty proud of yourself for such a fine job huh?? See, I told ya not to be afraid of fiberglass work.... Larry
__________________
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Vicki A.'s Avatar
 
Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Texas
Posts: 157
Brandy,
I am very impressed with the work you have done, you deserve to... !
I will have to do something like that as my pacer door is off quite a bit at the bottom. I was hoping a couple of rachet straps would work, thank you for trying it first!! My door is not very heavy, so with any luck it's not wet or rotten inside.
Thanks for the pics, they help a lot.
Vicki
__________________
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I applaud your fortitude Brandy to try it and then to succeed very well. What an inspiration! Thanks for posting the pictures too
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Larry&Carrie's Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Posts: 553
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I did some tweaking on the hinges by adding more spacers to force the door upwards. The I took the door off and proceeded to fiberglass away.

The bottom left of the door fits more snug now by far. I am very pleased with the results.
Brandy--- what do you mean by adding mores spacers to force the door up? Mine was low and I had a machinest friend make me some larger brass thingies. (I would call them by another name, but I would never hear the end of it.....) see picture. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
IM_A0295.JPG  
__________________
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Flygal's Avatar
 
Name: Brandy
Posts: 714
Funny thing I was going to go to tacoma screw today looking for thingies...I will take a photo and post it here or send it to you tomorrow....so are you saying I can't buy brass thingies?...cause if not I need your friend to make me some too. Went to the pull apart place today ...SCORE found some edging "stuff" for my door..$4 whooo hooo


Quote:
Brandy--- what do you mean by adding mores spacers to force the door up? Mine was low and I had a machinest friend make me some larger brass thingies. (I would call them by another name, but I would never hear the end of it.....) see picture. Larry
__________________
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Scamp sells the brass ball "thingies" that go inside the hinges (if that's what you're meaning). They come as part of a hinge rebuild kit.

Note that the Scamp kit fasteners (the vertical rod) in the kit are mild steel so you would want to replace them with stainless; I'd probably go for grade 316.

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Flygal's Avatar
 
Name: Brandy
Posts: 714
Thanks Raya...I will check local first becasue shipping from scamp is a wee bit steep for just one item.......

Quote:
Scamp sells the brass ball "thingies" that go inside the hinges (if that's what you're meaning). They come as part of a hinge rebuild kit.

Note that the Scamp kit fasteners (the vertical rod) in the kit are mild steel so you would want to replace them with stainless; I'd probably go for grade 316.

Raya
__________________
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Member
 
StacyJayT's Avatar
 
Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Posts: 66
Well, it's been a couple years, but do you remember what you used to glue the vinyl that would allow it to be smoothed out?
Thank you.
__________________

__________________
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixing scamp door Flygal Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 07-17-2010 12:15 PM
Fixing a door frame Robert Koepke Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 08-09-2009 10:58 AM
Fixing up an '83 Scamp 13' KarinP Modifications, Alterations and Updates 16 07-16-2009 12:38 PM
Fixing windows on 1977 Scamp Rebecca H. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 08-12-2008 04:18 PM
Fixing Up Our Trillium D Martin Modifications, Alterations and Updates 8 06-14-2007 05:01 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.