Fixing the Shower Drain on our '98 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Fixing the Shower Drain on our '98 Scamp

During our "shakedown" cruise the whole drain assembly at the bottom of the shower went away. I finally got around to calling Scamp this past Monday morning. Talk about fast! I had the parts by Tuesday noon. Of course, it helps that we're in Minnesota, too! This note will go through the steps I followed to replace the trap.

First off... the hole in the bottom of the trailer that leads up to the drain cover wasn't the same size as the drain trap assembly. Some things change! A chisel, grinder, and dremel got me down to this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp_drain_3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	49324
(Click to embiggen.)

What I wanted to do was make a good surface for attaching and expose all the parts that could possibly get wet.

Next off I tried to find a length of 6-32 fine-thread screw stock. No luck, so I ended up JB-water-welding two flat-head screws together. I then screwed one end into the base of the drain. That gave me this:

Name:	scamp_drain_2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	49323
(Click to embiggen.)

Name:	scamp_drain_1.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	49322
(Click to embiggen.)

What I then did was poke one end of the screw up through the drain pipe, tightening it down with a nut, lock washer, and washers:

Name:	scamp_drain_7.jpg
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	49325
(Click to embiggen.)

(That's actually an image from the end of the whole process... I forgot to take a shot at the start!). My sweetie screwed in the top section above the grate while I held the drain assembly down underneath. Note to self: don't tighten so tight the first time! It popped the heads apart and I had to re-epoxy overnight.

I next squirted silicone goop in between the drain and the surrounding trailer bits. I used a putty knife to force things in. I then used some strapping to tie down the whole thing to the bottom of the trailer. The hose went on next with another strap to hold it in place. I put a little dibble of caulk on the screw nut to act as an additional lockwasher (yeh, I'm a kind of braces & belt guy.)

Name:	scamp_drain_4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	49326
(Click to embiggen.)

Name:	scamp_drain_5.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	49327
(Click to embiggen.)

Here's a pretty good overview of the whole assembly. Sorry for the tilted picture! It's a pain working under there.

Name:	scamp_drain_6.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	49328
(Click to embiggen.)

I then went into the shower and squeezed a little more calk into the top. After it all sets I'm going to cut the screw down to the nut and put a rubber cap on it.

Yeh, it's not elegant, but I think it'll do the job.

And with that, I think I've got all the Big Things from the shakedown cruise taken care of.

fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
In the last foto, is there a connection between the shower drain and the Tygon and the pump? Why? Is grey water pumped into its appropriate vessel from the drain? Does Scamp march to a different Ukalele? [10 seconds and a headscratch later]= Does the Scamp have a shower pan that protrudes below the floor of the trailer? I'm getting a strong sense that this ain't no gravity drain. BICBW?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jack the shower pan on my scamp does not protrude below the floor of the trailer but its not gravity feed either the shower has its own pump for moving the water to the back of the trailer to the grey water tank. Although the pump set up in the photo above is not at all like mine... hummm.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit
In the last foto, is there a connection between the shower drain and the Tygon and the pump? Why? Is grey water pumped into its appropriate vessel from the drain? Does Scamp march to a different Ukalele? [10 seconds and a headscratch later]= Does the Scamp have a shower pan that protrudes below the floor of the trailer? I'm getting a strong sense that this ain't no gravity drain. BICBW?

jack
Drain to filter to pump to grey water tank. The base of the pan is at the same height above ground as the rest of the trailer.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Seeeeee... and in my 1988 Scamp, the shower water is gravity fed back to the graywater tank... no pump.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Scamps built with the complexity of space shuttles and pumping waste water unhill? Well, I never!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp