Flat Hatch Cover on Curved FBG Trailer - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 698
Flat Hatch Cover on Curved FBG Trailer

Has anyone figured out a fairly easy and economical way to mount a flat hatch cover to a curved section on your trailer?

On my Parkliner the water heater cover is flat and the area is curved, but it was built out so that a flat cover works. I want to do the same on the other side of the trailer.

A fairly large cover like this. (27.75 x 15.75)


__________________

Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Posts: 1,681
On Scamp's which have a slight curve to the body I use 1/8" aluminum bar as a lower spacer with butyl tape on either side and double up the tape on the sides. I extreme cases I cut white PVC house trim and butyl tape to make custom spacers. Casita uses spacers like these on their water heaters. PVC trim can be bought in various thickness but you have to buy whole boards. I save scrap PVC trim boards from const. projects to make my spacers.
Eddie
__________________

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Posts: 789
Eddie, thanks for mentioning your PVC solution to this problem. I have an entirely different issue but this may do the trick.

I have a Big Foot. The upper corner marker lights are so close to the radius corners that the flat base of the marker light overhangs the corner, leaving a space of about 1/2". I will try your PVC board to make a base with a radius of 7" then leveling out flat. What a great possible solution.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
On Scamp's which have a slight curve to the body I use 1/8" aluminum bar as a lower spacer with butyl tape on either side and double up the tape on the sides. I extreme cases I cut white PVC house trim and butyl tape to make custom spacers. Casita uses spacers like these on their water heaters. PVC trim can be bought in various thickness but you have to buy whole boards. I save scrap PVC trim boards from const. projects to make my spacers.
Eddie
Thanks. How do you attach the PVC trim to the trailer?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Has anyone figured out a fairly easy and economical way to mount a flat hatch cover to a curved section on your trailer?

On my Parkliner the water heater cover is flat and the area is curved, but it was built out so that a flat cover works. I want to do the same on the other side of the trailer.

A fairly large cover like this. (27.75 x 15.75)


hat might happen if you were to use a heat gun in the center of the top frame same for the bottom when you get them warm enough then do the amount of bend you need, you could do one at a time due to cooling as the season is still not that warm.
Stude
stude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 2,518
take some measurements, make a pattern have the spacers 3D printed in white ABS plastic. I would divide it up into 4 quadrants rather than trying to make one big piece. You can even create a half lap join for the sections.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Eddie, thanks for mentioning your PVC solution to this problem. I have an entirely different issue but this may do the trick.

I have a Big Foot. The upper corner marker lights are so close to the radius corners that the flat base of the marker light overhangs the corner, leaving a space of about 1/2". I will try your PVC board to make a base with a radius of 7" then leveling out flat. What a great possible solution.
I just use longer screws or pop rivets when installing the panel.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 2,518
you can attach PVC trim to the exterior surface using screws and butyl rubber mounting tape. I prefer to add some blocking to the interior surface for the screws to bite into or else you can thru bolt.

Goop brand Marine adhesive will also adhere to both the smooth outside surfaces of the fiberglass and also to the rougher inside surface as well. Be sure to remove any wax or polishing products from the exterior surface you are bonding to if you are going to use adhesive materials.

Of course there are also the Sikka Flex adhesives, those will also work. Just do the steps for installation the same way they install the port hole windows on boats.
__________________

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fantastic Fan Install On Curved Burro Roof Tommy Gun Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 10-10-2015 06:55 PM
Maxx Fan Installation on curved roof scf Modifications, Alterations and Updates 3 03-08-2015 03:24 PM
Curved hatches cpaharley2008 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 05-29-2011 05:11 AM
Curved Supports for Benches Pamela S. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 05-04-2010 09:17 PM
Scamp (curved) front & rear window seal, Help Eddie Longest Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 02-03-2010 09:57 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×