Flat Hatch Cover on Curved FBG Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Flat Hatch Cover on Curved FBG Trailer

Has anyone figured out a fairly easy and economical way to mount a flat hatch cover to a curved section on your trailer?

On my Parkliner the water heater cover is flat and the area is curved, but it was built out so that a flat cover works. I want to do the same on the other side of the trailer.

A fairly large cover like this. (27.75 x 15.75)

Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On Scamp's which have a slight curve to the body I use 1/8" aluminum bar as a lower spacer with butyl tape on either side and double up the tape on the sides. I extreme cases I cut white PVC house trim and butyl tape to make custom spacers. Casita uses spacers like these on their water heaters. PVC trim can be bought in various thickness but you have to buy whole boards. I save scrap PVC trim boards from const. projects to make my spacers.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Eddie, thanks for mentioning your PVC solution to this problem. I have an entirely different issue but this may do the trick.

I have a Big Foot. The upper corner marker lights are so close to the radius corners that the flat base of the marker light overhangs the corner, leaving a space of about 1/2". I will try your PVC board to make a base with a radius of 7" then leveling out flat. What a great possible solution.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
On Scamp's which have a slight curve to the body I use 1/8" aluminum bar as a lower spacer with butyl tape on either side and double up the tape on the sides. I extreme cases I cut white PVC house trim and butyl tape to make custom spacers. Casita uses spacers like these on their water heaters. PVC trim can be bought in various thickness but you have to buy whole boards. I save scrap PVC trim boards from const. projects to make my spacers.
Eddie
Thanks. How do you attach the PVC trim to the trailer?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Has anyone figured out a fairly easy and economical way to mount a flat hatch cover to a curved section on your trailer?

On my Parkliner the water heater cover is flat and the area is curved, but it was built out so that a flat cover works. I want to do the same on the other side of the trailer.

A fairly large cover like this. (27.75 x 15.75)

hat might happen if you were to use a heat gun in the center of the top frame same for the bottom when you get them warm enough then do the amount of bend you need, you could do one at a time due to cooling as the season is still not that warm.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
take some measurements, make a pattern have the spacers 3D printed in white ABS plastic. I would divide it up into 4 quadrants rather than trying to make one big piece. You can even create a half lap join for the sections.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Eddie, thanks for mentioning your PVC solution to this problem. I have an entirely different issue but this may do the trick.

I have a Big Foot. The upper corner marker lights are so close to the radius corners that the flat base of the marker light overhangs the corner, leaving a space of about 1/2". I will try your PVC board to make a base with a radius of 7" then leveling out flat. What a great possible solution.
I just use longer screws or pop rivets when installing the panel.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you can attach PVC trim to the exterior surface using screws and butyl rubber mounting tape. I prefer to add some blocking to the interior surface for the screws to bite into or else you can thru bolt.

Goop brand Marine adhesive will also adhere to both the smooth outside surfaces of the fiberglass and also to the rougher inside surface as well. Be sure to remove any wax or polishing products from the exterior surface you are bonding to if you are going to use adhesive materials.

Of course there are also the Sikka Flex adhesives, those will also work. Just do the steps for installation the same way they install the port hole windows on boats.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote