Flat Water Hose - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Flat Water Hose

Anyone have one of these and have an opinion on their function and durablity? I bought one today for $23 at Wal-Mart and am looking forward to have a smaller, neater water hose to deal with, but wonder if there are any drawbacks.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Virginia
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
flat water hose

I like mine, but I don't get the same pressure as a round hose. Tried to backflush my black tank and couldn't get enough pressure. The round one worked as expected.
Dick

Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick M. View Post
Anyone have one of these and have an opinion on their function and durablity? I bought one today for $23 at Wal-Mart and am looking forward to have a smaller, neater water hose to deal with, but wonder if there are any drawbacks.
check it before you take it anywhere... We bought one and it leaked when water was turned on and fell apart as the pressure increased, your's looks like a different brand though ... Hopefully better!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I love mine...was always frustrated trying to put away that ungainly round white plastic one. I guess I really don't require a lot of pressure, but haven't noticed any difference, even when connecting two together over a longer distance. When the distance to the spigot is short, I just wrap the extra length around the spare wheel and it's out of the way. I've had mine for a couple of years, and haven't noticed any problems with durability.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I had one of the older green ones that doesn't have the internal rib yours appears to have. It split wide open from full line pressure. I went back to a standard hose.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Looking more closely at the one you purchased, I realize now that although mine wrap around a reel too, they are the woven flat ones that inflate with pressure to that of the more standard type hose.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #7

Arizona
I assume the one I bought also inflates somewhat as it is fairly flat on the reel.

Thanks for all the comments - it looks like a keeper.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #8

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I had one a number of years ago and didn't end up liking it that much. I don't know if they are all the same, but the one I had, you had to completely "unfurl" it in order to use it, even if you only needed a short piece to do what you wanted at the moment. Then, you had to somewhat painstakingly furl it all back up again.

It was also a bit delicate compared to a typical hose.

Not that it was torture, but in the end I decided I'd rather have a regular hose.

They may be different/better now, as this was 6-7 years ago.

Raya
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #9

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I can't edit my post anymore, but I wanted to say that I guess I was responding to your post title "Flat Water Hose" and not specifically commenting on your model of hose (which upon closer reading is what you were asking).

It does look like your model is not the same as the truly flat, more "woven" type I used, so my comments do not directly apply to your type of hose, but more to the generic "Flat Water Hose" of the thread title.

Raya
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #10

Arizona
Thanks for the comment anyway! I will report back after the next trip on how well it works. It claims to be 1/2" - the same as the usual white hose.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #11

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
After 5 or 6 years of use and then sitting for log times in a hot trailer I hooked ours up at a gathering this fall only to have it dump water all over the place.I leakes like a sieve about a foot from the end. When I cut the end off to make repairs I found that it has a 1/2 inch plastic liner that has dried out and cannot take the pressure any longer. When in use the whole 50 ft has to be streched out and then it has to be completely drained to recoil on the reel. I will now revert back to two 25 foot round hoses. One when the pipe stand is close enough and one that I can use to extend it when necessary.