Flooded and heartbroken. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
Flooded and heartbroken.

Went to pick up my trailer in June and the 7 way plug pulled off. With it being a crazy summer I finally got around to getting the diagram and going back to rewire and pick it up on Friday. Got it home and it has been flooded. I guess the door didn't latch when they moved it and during our heavy July rains it just ran in. Spent today mopping up water and scrapping off two layers of cushion floor and ripping out the liners in the bench storage. We folded back the stuff on the walls to about 8" off the floor so it can dry. Not sure what it is called, plastic with black foam rubber backing. Anyway, not sure if that can be saved,may have to cut it all around about a foot off the floor. The wood on the front of the benches will have to go as will the wood on the side of the fridge. Verdict is still out on the supports for the benches and stuff. The trailer is sitting where the sun will heat it and hopefully dry it out some, then we'll see what needs to be done.
It is just so heartbreaking.
SeansmomSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
So sorry. If you have a fan it would help circulate the air. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Real Bummer.

Ensolite might be what you might have on the wall, if you do then it will dry without harm. Most insulating foams will be closed cell is my guess. Open cell is more like a sponge, and less useful for insulation.

If you can lay your hands on a dehumidifier that will really help suck the moisture out.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Thanks papa-t. I am afraid to turn on the power. I didn't have the right screw driver to take off the piece of wood that covers the cubby for the inverter. And until I see if it was flooded too I am afraid to turn on the power. I'll bring a fan and run an extension cord out to it when I go back tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Thanks RogerDat, good idea, I'll round one up and give it a try.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I feel bad for you Sandy. Everyone's pulling for you to get your rig fixed up. Should be plenty of advice coming your way.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
That is terrible news. You have our permission to say bad words out loud! I think I would, in your situation.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Sandy,

I've never talked with you here but I came across your post and could cry. What about these guys that moved it? Are these the storage facility people? Not to be a stone thrower, but not noticing the door wasn't closed? I feel so bad for you.

I honestly think a dehumidifier is a better idea than a fan. Suck the moisture right out. Maybe even both, but I run a dehumidifier in my basement here in NY in summer and boy do they suck out moisture!

I share your concern with the electrical. If you're not too handy that way, maybe might be worth the dollars to have an RV shop check it out or perhaps the family electrician.

If you and I lived near one another I'd be there in a heartbeat with my dehumidifier and rolled up sleeves to help you. I hope and trust all is not as bad as it may seem now.

Lots of really smart people here who I know will be in your corner willing to help.

Sincerely,
Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #9

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Thank you all, lots of bad words were spoken LOL, and after a few glasses of wine I am feeling somewhat better. It was parked at a friend place indoors for the winter, but when I tried to pick it up and the plug came off i left it in the driveway all locked up. My friends husband was going to move it to their backyard and I told her " just toss the keys in the kitchen sink and leave it unlocked so I can pick it up". I guess they left it outside (which is fine in summer) but the door didn't latch properly when she closed it. That's what I am assuming anyway. She doesn't even know, I haven't told her yet. She'll be really upset. Might call the insurance people tomorrow, but not feeling particularly hopeful on that front. oh well, hubby and I usually camp in the fall, but I guess we'll be revamping the Dolphin instead. Time to look up all of those cool mods I have seen in various posts.
Thank you all for the kind words of support, it truly helps.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Brother in law is a building inspector in Florida. Post hurricane one of the few things you can spray in an electrical outlet box to prevent salt water corrosion is WD40. It displaces water and then coats to prevent corrosion. Was originally designed to protect rocket fuel tanks. Literally stands for Water Displacement #40 (they were on recipe #40 when they found one that works.

You might want to spray any electrical connections (110 or 12 volt) that got wet with some to prevent or reduce long term corrosion. If possible direct a little squirt into the wire so it goes inside the insulation.

One thing I recall him saying about electrical and flooding that could not be addressed was if romex type house wiring got wet it had to be pulled and replaced. Had to do with the paper wrap around the ground wire, water would soak into the paper and travel several feet into the plastic sleeve and cause hidden corrosion so they had to pull that type out if it got soaked. At least up to the height of the first outlet or light switch above water.

Only mention it because of your inverter. Don't know if they run individual wires or romex to that, if romex you might have to replace that wire. Or if there are any outlets low enough to have been flooded.

Good luck and yes misery loves.... wine.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #11

New York
Registry
Dear RogerDat,

What an interesting write up on wD40! Never knew that history. If I recall from seeing my progressive unit, very heavy gauge wire, like the Romex used in residential apps. I sure hope Sandy's troubles are brief and her trailer is back to good in short order.

Thank you for posting that help for her. Great that she has her FGRV family by her side!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #12

Ottawa, ON
Registry
The brakes and signal lights all worked, so hopefully the wiring is not so bad. When I pulled up the ensolite I saw lots of wires connected with electrical tape near the back. They were sitting in water.
If romex is that big white wire that is kind of flat, there seems to be one piece that goes from the inverter to the fridge I think.
Maybe I'll make an appointment and have the trailer guys look at it.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #13

New York
Registry
Yes Sandy, that wire you mention is Romex. Hoping all will be better than you anticipate!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You can use an extension cord for a fan, and not use the trailer's wiring. If you have crank open windows, then crack a couple, and run a fan inside. You need to move that damp air around and ventilate it out.
So sorry to hear about the flood. But take consolation in the fact that it is fixable.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I am a big fan of using a wet and dry shop vac. Remove the filter and suck up all you can. Air is forced into the surface as the vacuum sucks up the moisture. It will get it pretty dry. It will help remove the organic spores that cause mold. You can spray down with a disinfectant and then suck it back up. Kill it, clean it and remove it to promote no further damage. One area to watch for is anything mounted to the floor that keeps moisture trapped under it. Things like the water tank. You need to get these things unbolted and propped up so they dry underneath.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeansmomSandy View Post
Thank you all, lots of bad words were spoken LOL, and after a few glasses of wine I am feeling somewhat better. It was parked at a friend place indoors for the winter, but when I tried to pick it up and the plug came off i left it in the driveway all locked up. My friends husband was going to move it to their backyard and I told her " just toss the keys in the kitchen sink and leave it unlocked so I can pick it up". I guess they left it outside (which is fine in summer) but the door didn't latch properly when she closed it. That's what I am assuming anyway. She doesn't even know, I haven't told her yet. She'll be really upset. Might call the insurance people tomorrow, but not feeling particularly hopeful on that front. oh well, hubby and I usually camp in the fall, but I guess we'll be revamping the Dolphin instead. Time to look up all of those cool mods I have seen in various posts.
Thank you all for the kind words of support, it truly helps.
A friend of ours left his refrigerator full of food and running on propane (80 Deg weather). The propane ran out ,the food spoiled ,maggots were everywhere and the smell was atrocious . Insurance covered the cost of a new refrigerator ,new carpeting ,new underlayment and the cleaning & deodorizing of the trailer. Don't give up on insurance , you may come out with new instead of repaired
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I would not worry about wet Romex wire. The "hot" wires inside are individually insulated and I would not be concerned about the bare ground (grounding in current electric-speak) wire getting a little wet with fresh water. Salt water might be another issue but not what we are talking about here. Get the ends and any connections dried out well though.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #18

Ottawa, ON
Registry
I went back to the trailer tonight. It seems to be drying out but it looks like all the wood touching the floor will have to go. I sprayed with Concrobium, set a fan in place on high and put a dry-z-air in. Haven't heard back from the insurance yet. I will try to post a few pictures.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Don't know what your insurance is but I would think they would cover it. That is what insurance is for: accidents.
Latch was accidentally not closed all the way and all of that is the resulting damage.

Let us know, please.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm still trying to figure out how there could be that much water damage from a door that was left ajar.