FLOOR PLAN FOR TRILLIUM (1981) 5500?? length? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Escape and Boler
British Columbia
FLOOR PLAN FOR TRILLIUM (1981) 5500?? length?

Hi,
On a 1981 Trillium 5500 - can some one direct me to - or supply me with - a FLOOR plan of this model? Has a bath/shower in it. Not sure of length - 15??
Thanks very.
Dennis
Lindenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...llium-5500.pdf

Put your mouse over the "More" tab on top of the page, it will open a menu, then select Document Center.
In the Document Center, scroll to the bottom to Trailer Brand Manufacturer, and click on Trillium. You will access a bunch of Trillium files, some on the 5500, including a floor plan.

The 5500 is 5.5 meters long (hence the name) which is about 18ft. A gaucho model was available but most are front dinette. Only the Deluxe version has a shower (Deluxe package also included a water heater, water pump, larger fridge, range/oven, etc).

Not too many of them around, as apparently only about 60 or 65 of them were made in 1980 & 1981 before Trillium Industries shut down. This number is been disputed since serial numbers are collected on this board and some 5500 have serials numbers well above 100.

I've been looking at them for 4-5 years, there is always 4-6 of them showing up in the classifieds every year, US and Canada combined. I finally bought mine last week and I towed it home two days ago.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks very - there is one for sale in Northern Ontario (Canada) It is the deluxe model with the show/toilet etc. In very good condition - asking 9,000 Cdn -COMPARED TO WHAT YOU PAID - IT THIS IN LINE FOR ASKING PRICE???
Dennis Anderson
Old 08-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If your going to Nova Scotia, (almost as far from you as possible):
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-71056.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenguy View Post
Thanks very - there is one for sale in Northern Ontario (Canada) It is the deluxe model with the show/toilet etc. In very good condition - asking 9,000 Cdn -COMPARED TO WHAT YOU PAID - IT THIS IN LINE FOR ASKING PRICE???
Dennis Anderson
Dennis,

When this trailer showed up on Kijiji last year the seller wanted $10k. This is the highest price I've seen so far for a 5500, based on my 'shopping' (looking at all the 5500 ads I could find on the web for the last 4-5 years or so). In my opinion, if I was to pay 10,000 or even 9,000 for a 5500 it would have to be in totally perfect shape, with absolutely nothing to do on it. I have not seen in person this trailer, but just by looking at the pictures it doesn't look to me that it is in such perfect condition. I might be wrong but I don't think this trailer is worth $9000, and it looks like I'm not the only one thinking the same as this trailer has been up for sale for over a year now, and nobody jumped on it. I don't mean this trailer has issues: if you like it and it's within your budget, go ahead and buy it. For me, it was too far to visit, I didn't want to pay for everything the seller includes in the sale (dishes, etc), I don't like the fact that there is a lot of stuff screwed on the walls everywhere, and that would be to much work for us to bring it from its current condition to the remodel we want to do.

Although I've noticed an increase in asking prices for 5500s over the last 5 years or so, in my opinion, a reasonable price range for a 5500 would be between $5500 and $7500, depending on many things. Some are Deluxe models (shower), some have nice aluminium case awnings (value north of $1000), issues like water leaks/damage, etc. Above $7500, IMO it would have to be a deluxe model, in stellar condition, not much to fix, and well equipped.

To give you an idea of the 5500 market:
Last summer, a nice Deluxe was up for sale in Wiarton ON, asking price $5500. Sold almost overnight.
Last spring, an extra clean Deluxe 5500 was up for sale in eastern ON for $6500. Due to work I coud never find the time to look it up, and it sold rapidly. I still regret this one, it would have been mine.
Just a few weeks ago there was one in Limoges, ON, that looked pretty clean. A bit expensive IMO at $8995 but lots of $$ invested in it lately. Sold rapidly, ad still visible on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com.
There is one in AB that was for sale last year for $9750 if I remember right. Didn't sell. Reappeared this summer for $8500 and apparently sold. A bit expensive IMO considering this was not a Deluxe unit, but it looked clean and there might not be a lot of 5500 out west compared to Ontario/Quebec.
I have not seen any of these trailers in person, but IMO they all looked better than that $9000 unit discussed above.

I collect pictures from all the 5500 ads I can find (and from this forum as well), I now have close to 250 pictures of various 5500s, showing various versions and interiors. I can now pinpoint tiny differences between them, or identify trailers that reappear for sale after some time.

The one I bought showed up for sale in June 2014 for $9000. I figured it was too expensive, so I let it pass. It sold in a few weeks, only to reappear in the classifieds at the end of the summer, with the new seller asking $9500 for it... Once again the ad disappeared from kijiji. Then this summer the same 5500 showed up again on kijiji, same seller, same pictures, but at $8200. A few weeks later the seller lowered the price to $7300, then $7000, and I figured the seller was getting hungry and at this price this trailer was probably worth a visit. This 5500 now sits in my driveway. It has some issues - any 35 year old trailer will - but nothing I can't fix, and we have plans for a nice interior remodel, just give us a couple years!

I've visited 4 of them before I bought mine. Two of them were at a FG trailer rally, and they were absolute beauties. Kind of trailer I would have gladly paid $10,000 for, but unfortunately they were not for sale! There was no less than six different 5500s at this event.

So be patient, there are not too many of them, but there is always a few showing up regularly. You have to be ready, most of the time nice units at fair prices will sell fast! Last summer I counted 8 different 5500 for sale, this year about 5 so far, not counting the expensive one in northern ON and the one I bought, as they've been up for sale since last summer.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #6

British Columbia
Hi THANKS for the time for a 'great' reply. I have had 2/3 Bolers and 2 - 13 and 1 - 15
Trilliums over the past 10/12 years. The last one was in 2010. Bought a 14 Beach C as it had a 'toilet' in the corner / w holding tank. But the weight was 1600 lbs - an not hot water or shower. Thus my interest in the 5500. Late last night I went on FG TR site and found a listing for the weight/lengths of just about all types of F G trailers. There is where I found the length of the 5500 at 3,400 lbs and 18' long.
I informed the seller this PM that I would not have someone meet her tomorrow - (which I had arranged - we a 'branch distr. center there) but she has someone from Lindsay driving up the just O/S Sudbury to look at it on Sat AM - she lives near London 5 1/2 hour drive. In 2010 about 100 of us drove from St Johns Nfdld to Victoria B.C. - 80 with Bolers/Trilliums etc - the others use Motels. We had to have cars that were older than 1975's. Thus small F G trailers were used. We are doing it backwards summer of 2017 - from Victoria to St J Nfd. I sold the 72 Chevy Sub that I used in 2010 and purchased a 9 seat Mercury Stn Wagon (1965) for the trip coming up. I am concerned that I should keep the weight down to the 15 Trillium as max - motor 390 but concerned for transmission other running gear on what will be a 52 year old car. I just purchased a 17.4 Escape which IF I use for the trip will mean I will have to use another Suburban or Pick Up for pulling this 2380 lb unit.
Would like to use the 65 Merc on the trip - thus now will look for the 'lighter' 15' Trillium and give up the shower/toilet advantage - or take the 'luxury' Escape and purchase another 'tow vehicle'. The Escape is about 12 hour drive to pick up and they are mfgered in Chilliwack B.C. (Fraser Valley area) and that is only 45 minutes from where I live.
Thanks again...
Cheers,
Dennis Anderson
PS There is a 5500 (someone said they are 5.5 Metres long - thus the 55) forsale in New Bruns or Nova Scotia - asking 5,900 for it - listed yesterday.

Tags
trillium